Bosch Powertube Battery Foam Damper

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
I met a chap today at my local Trek dealer with quite a unique solution….a simple micro fibre towel.

View attachment 95763

That looks like a good solution for cooler weather riding but I wouldn't trap all that heat around the battery during hot weather. The batteries on our e-bikes don't have active cooling like state-of-the-art modern EV's. Getting too warm will not instantly destroy our eMTB batteries but higher than ideal temperatures will shorten their lives. Of course, rattling around in there can't be good for them either.

GodsHammer

Apr 20, 2021
Kings lynn
Hi I use some 3M sticky pads does the tick for me 🤗
20220827_190450.jpg
20220827_190453.jpg
20220827_190501.jpg

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
That looks like a good solution for cooler weather riding but I wouldn't trap all that heat around the battery during hot weather. The batteries on our e-bikes don't have active cooling like state-of-the-art modern EV's. Getting too warm will not instantly destroy our eMTB batteries but higher than ideal temperatures will shorten their lives. Of course, rattling around in there can't be good for them either.

he rags his bike through all weather and had no issues

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
he rags his bike through all weather and had no issues

I'm not claiming it will give him any "issues" other than a shorter battery life than it would otherwise have if the battery was allowed more airflow around it during hot weather. The longevity of a battery is largely determined by how well its temperature is maintained in the ideal zone which is why every advanced EV controls battery temperatures with liquids and why I would never buy a Nissan Leaf or any other EV without a state-of-the-art thermal management system for the battery.

Last edited:

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
You only need one. They stick to the battery mount, not the battery.

Stu

Jul 27, 2022
Uk
Sorry all, the review is a little later than I stated.

So, after a few hours session on some local trails that is home to features such as fast berms, toots, drops, tables and doubles, I have to say that I am quite impressed with the damper.

I needed to remind myself that the foam is indeed a damper and not a noise canceller. The foam does exactly that, dampens the rattle. It is certainly noticeable that it has done the trick although there is still some noise on the more uneven parts of the trails.

There are other factors to consider though and they include cable rattles that could be both internally and externally as well as what is said to be the motor (when not engaged).

For the sake of a few pounds, it’s most definitely worth it 👍

SUBcyclist

Apr 9, 2021
NoCar, USA
You only need one. They stick to the battery mount, not the battery.
Thank you, if this was meant for me. I do actually have two battery tubes on my bike, so I need two; my bike carries a 500wh battery in the top tube, and a 625wh battery in the down tube. For others, though, it is good to know they only need one of these dampers, even if they have multiple batteries which they swap out.

CarbonMan

Apr 14, 2022
Connecticut
I ordered from here
Bosch don’t really talk about this (prob because they don’t want to admit there’s a battery rattle on many bosch bikes).

If you want to try and dampen / reduce Bosch rattling then try one of these. Cheap and worth a punt. I just fit one to my Rail and I hope it reduces or removes lateral battery movement that can lead to noise.

Bosch PowerTube battery holder damping plate

For PowerTube holder part number 0.275.007.440

View attachment 95488
I'm in USA, found this on Amazon. Note the description and PN.
1661713055666.png

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
$141 NZ Dollars delivered. The £70 freight really broke my back :ROFLMAO:

Think I'll try get one locally
Bought mine today from Hub Cycles, $5 plus $5 freight anywhere in NZ. I've been getting lots of rattle on chunky descents, hoping this will fix it. Never knew it existed till I read this thread. It's the last item at the bottom of the drop-down options menu. Few other places selling them too but this was the cheapest freight I could find
Bosch - PowerTube Battery Parts & Cables

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Bought mine today from Hub Cycles, $5 plus $5 freight anywhere in NZ. I've been getting lots of rattle on chunky descents, hoping this will fix it. Never knew it existed till I read this thread. It's the last item at the bottom of the drop-down options menu. Few other places selling them too but this was the cheapest freight I could find

Thanks Philly, ordered one too (y)

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yea ... I'd try it as well if there was a Canadian online retailer. I think @irie might be on to something.

Just cut out a paper template using my pic. Test it fits on the bottom of your bike down tube where the battery plugs in. Doesn't have to be perfect. Cut out a piece of foam. Make sure it fits OK. Simples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ura

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Once again your google- fu is outstanding. For those confused (like me) about the link go to the drop down menu to the bottom item. NZ site.

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
I love everything about my 22 Rail 9.8 with the exception of the battery mount. I would gladly lay down some cash for a good solid bolt in mount upgrade. I have made a little effort in quieting down the battery by sticking the "soft" side of Industrial Velcro to small portions of the battery to tighten up the fit a bit and installed the foam damper. It made an enormous difference, the bike is very quiet until things get rough and fast. Then I can still hear some battery rattle but it is very muted from when it was in it's stock form. As muted as that gets it the rattle is still unnerving to me.

Please Trek give us a battery mounting upgrade option!!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I love everything about my 22 Rail 9.8 with the exception of the battery mount. I would gladly lay down some cash for a good solid bolt in mount upgrade. I have made a little effort in quieting down the battery by sticking the "soft" side of Industrial Velcro to small portions of the battery to tighten up the fit a bit and installed the foam damper. It made an enormous difference, the bike is very quiet until things get rough and fast. Then I can still hear some battery rattle but it is very muted from when it was in it's stock form. As muted as that gets it the rattle is still unnerving to me.

Please Trek give us a battery mounting upgrade option!!

If you did this Rail 9.8XT first ride review - EMTB Forums you'd probably eliminate all the noise. I did. If not, put some self adhesive foam inside the battery mount as shown elsewhere on this forum.

hth

Clean

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2022
West Yorkshire
These do not fit the new 750 mounts, i now discover.

I therefore have a couple that are free to a good home for the price of postage.

PM me for my PP Addy; first come, first served.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
These do not fit the new 750 mounts, i now discover.

I therefore have a couple that are free to a good home for the price of postage.

PM me for my PP Addy; first come, first served.
I’ve added one to my 750wh Rail?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles