Bafang m510

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Out of the box question, why are you comparing the M510 motor with the M600 and not with the M500?
M510 is an overturning upgrade of the eMTB performance motor. Comparing with the last generation, the max torque of M510 remains 95N.m, but the weight is reduced by 18% while the max power output is increased by 20%. Max cadence support is extended up to 120RPM.Powerful acceleration and continuous max power output are ensured for even hard-core climbing situations.

Therefore, there is no need to compare M510 with M500. M510 is M500 plus,
In addition, the M500 motor may be discontinued and only M510 will be produced in the future. There is no M500 in the new brochure of Bafang.

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
Does anyone know if the hardware is the same according to the different operating voltage of the m510 motor? (36,43,48v)

I have a 43v battery and the m510 are all available only in 48v for the moment ...

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Does anyone know if the hardware is the same according to the different operating voltage of the m510 motor? (36,43,48v)

I have a 43v battery and the m510 are all available only in 48v for the moment ...
Someone here got 43V version of M510 and asked bafang for 48V firmware.
If you have 43V battery and 48V engine then ask Bafang for M510 43V firmware and flash the controller (that would be great if you could share it here, probably more people will have similar issue). You don't need to purchase new battery.

Everything is the same except the software.

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
Someone here got 43V version of M510 and asked bafang for 48V firmware.
If you have 43V battery and 48V engine then ask Bafang for M510 43V firmware and flash the controller (that would be great if you could share it here, probably more people will have similar issue). You don't need to purchase new battery.

Everything is the same except the software.
Thank you for your answer, are you 100% sure? The saleswoman told me that the wiring at the coil level was different depending on the voltage...

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
First heard.

A guy here uploaded 48V fw to 43V M510 and its working.
Bafang also says that the number of coils is different from one version to another... To be sure, we have to measure the resistance and inductance of the coils.

That it works I have no doubt...

In my opinion it would be right that Bafang has calculated different coils for different operating ranges.

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany

I have a 43v battery and the M510 are all available only in 48v for the moment ...
There are 43v Bafang M510 motors available for sale as well.
For example this Italian company sells ebikes equipped with 43v Bafang engines، but I don't know what is the purpose of choosing a 43v system instead of 48v.
Link:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
There are 43v Bafang M510 motors available for sale as well.
For example this Italian company sells ebikes equipped with 43v Bafang engines، but I don't know what is the purpose of choosing a 43v system instead of 48v.
Link:

Two years ago one guy from bafang cpy had allready said me that 43V is better for the M500/600, it is the raison why the BTF03 and BTF04 was in 43V. why better ? true or false ? he just said that the motor was "optimized for this power supply and he have recommanded to order this model. Not done as E10 was in 48V.

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
Two years ago one guy from bafang cpy had allready said me that 43V is better for the M500/600, it is the raison why the BTF03 and BTF04 was in 43V. why better ? true or false ? he just said that the motor was "optimized for this power supply and he have recommanded to order this model. Not done as E10 was in 48V.
In my opinion, a 48 volt battery is better than 43v and 36v.
Because the higher the voltage, the lower the current, which means less heat, and therefore better engine efficiency and performance. ;)

Sandur-Rx

Sep 11, 2021
Holland

I had the Dengfu e05 with m600 (smaller 48v battery compared to e10) and also had a light carbon with m500 43v with a Bafang btf04 battery. The range was so mutch better with the m600 Dengfu. I sold the Bafang battery and put the inside of the Dengfu battery in the light carbon frame. Much better!

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Today first quick round with my M510. More power, less battery consumption. Not significantly better then M500 13A in my opinion. But I hear a whistling sound at higher cadence and load, that I know from M500 as well, but more present here. Friday I plan a bigger round and will share more details. @VMG Chris: Did You also observe this whistling sound? Do You know what I mean?

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
Today first quick round with my M510. More power, less battery consumption. Not significantly better then M500 13A in my opinion. But I hear a whistling sound at higher cadence and load, that I know from M500 as well, but more present here. Friday I plan a bigger round and will share more details. @VMG Chris: Did You also observe this whistling sound? Do You know what I mean?
I think it will obviously be better under stress such as in an uphill ride or when putting more load or weight on the bike.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Update: Bigger loop today, 30 km, 725 vertical height, 20km/h average with some really steep climbs. Battery SOC at end of ride was 63%, from fully changed. Compared to previous rides same loop, this was a blast. Battery consumption way better, about 20% improvement. Specially at the steep climbs the motor is way more powerful, also at lower cadence around 70 rpm loads of support. So I have to change my first feedback. Engine is much more powerful then M500. Only negative point is the high pitch whining noise. This is a frequence that really hurts me, although it is not very loud.

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Update: Bigger loop today, 30 km, 725 vertical height, 20km/h average with some really steep climbs. Battery SOC at end of ride was 63%, from fully changed. Compared to previous rides same loop, this was a blast. Battery consumption way better, about 20% improvement. Specially at the steep climbs the motor is way more powerful, also at lower cadence around 70 rpm loads of support. So I have to change my first feedback. Engine is much more powerful then M500. Only negative point is the high pitch whining noise. This is a frequence that really hurts me, although it is not very loud.
Wuhuuuu, sounds great Thomas 👌💪. Will test mine finally tomorrow or sunday and hope to confirm your feedback 😌

Last edited:

KaroKönig

Feb 10, 2021
Germany
Can you tell us anything about the torque sensor? How does it react with your engine? I think the high-frequency noise comes from the magnesium case, which doesn't dampen as well as an aluminum case

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Torque sensing and overall behavior is comparable to m500 13A. It‘s a little more direct and more hefty when starting, especially in higher PAS. But once You’re used to it, it’s still natural but more powerful feeling. The whole bike feels more agile due to the increased power and direct response. Can’t imagine You need anything more powerful.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Torque sensing and overall behavior is comparable to m500 13A. It‘s a little more direct and more hefty when starting, especially in higher PAS. But once You’re used to it, it’s still natural but more powerful feeling. The whole bike feels more agile due to the increased power and direct response. Can’t imagine You need anything more powerful.
on steep hills the engine is much more powerful than the m500. comparison on the same uphills and similar conditions. m500 loses power, suffocates all that pass. the m510 gives a lot more power than the m500 even accelerates on the uphill. noticeably gives more support even when changing a pass uphill.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
on steep hills the engine is much more powerful than the m500. comparison on the same uphills and similar conditions. m500 loses power, suffocates all that pass. the m510 gives a lot more power than the m500 even accelerates on the uphill. noticeably gives more support even when changing a pass uphill.
True. The steeper it gets, the more power You need, the better the M510 performs. Thats the major difference to M500.

KaroKönig

Feb 10, 2021
Germany
I noticed that the Calories counter doesn’t work anymore with M510. Keeps „0“ value since reset. Display is DP-C241. Any Ideas?
I think the m510 has a simple torque sensor that detects whether there is pressure on the pedal but not how strong it is. That is why the motor cannot show any driver performance.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I think the m510 has a simple torque sensor that detects whether there is pressure on the pedal but not how strong it is. That is why the motor cannot show any driver performance.

This point need to be clarified, because in this case torque sensor is unuseful ? rpm sensor only is enough.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
the others owners have the same result ? it is contradictory with their returns, where they said that M510 provide more power in hard climb.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
The strange thing is if you read out the controller data with the BESST tool, you don't get anything displayed on the sensor
When I connect the motor with the BESST tool, I need multiple attempts to get the SN field information, same with firmware info etc. I have to hit the read button many times, before randomly the info is displayed and I can change parameters. Do You have the same issue?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
When I connect the motor with the BESST tool, I need multiple attempts to get the SN field information, same with firmware info etc. I have to hit the read button many times, before randomly the info is displayed and I can change parameters. Do You have the same issue?
Yes, same here.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles