Bafang m510

Slaine

Apr 12, 2022
France
Hi

I change my speed limit 32km/h to 25km/h since 1 month. since this change i have cuttoff. I don't know how is it possible to come back to 32km/h
secondly, i remove my system and I see some electrical black area on battery and motor plug. on picture.
do you think this electrical black area could produce the cutoff?
thanks for your help
20221120_180829.jpg
20221120_180933.jpg

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Will flash to 48V.

Anyway if somebody has some new firmware for M510 36V (v16.2) would be good to share. Thanks.

Dont have now 36V battery, but will test with regulated power suply, what is cut off with this last version. Will update.

But I suppose power limiting just from 10% on this new firmware.

Acron

Oct 11, 2022
Vtt
Vu ton pseudo, peut être as tu acquis un Leader Fox Acron animé par le m510 ? 🤔
Quelles sont tes impressions ? ( Comportement, conso )
Merci.
hello, I'm back to give news, the leaderfox is frankly brilliant, nothing to say in terms of autonomy, very pleasant to drive. I just have my slight play in the axle of the bottom bracket of 1mm, many tell me that there is no play. It bothers me to send it as warranty if this play is normal

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
hello, I'm back to give news, the leaderfox is frankly brilliant, nothing to say in terms of autonomy, very pleasant to drive. I just have my slight play in the axle of the bottom bracket of 1mm, many tell me that there is no play. It bothers me to send it as warranty if this play is normal
I'm pleased that you have the option to send the M510 motor back to LeaderFox for diagnosis @Acron. Hopefully, they'll simply swap it out for a new one.
20220926_164913.jpg

Referring to our brief conversation, the seal which sits in between the main reduction gear 'may' have disintegrated which could explain the 1mm play for the crank spindle 👍🏿

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
It seem that a firmware whitout (any) cut-off existing for the M510

nobody can't recover it from bafang for the poor DIY builders?
I did mention the problems had been fixed, but apparently I'm not to be trusted.

Last edited:

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
? it will be solved when the customers who have purchased an M510 could will accede to software corrected. Not done for the moment, no ?
Initially Bafang didn't think there was an issue, but we pushed and pushed Bafang for a fix, until they eventually created a message and email group between us and a team of engineers to diagnose the problem, and then we tested various solutions and provided feed back. This whole process has been going on for many many months.

So yes, the motor issues have been fixed.

It's up to you to contact the various suppliers from where you got your motors to obtain the updates.

I'm not allowed to share firmware, nor would I, as I believe because of all of the work we have put in, our customers deserve the benefit of the improvements first

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Initially Bafang didn't think there was an issue, but we pushed and pushed Bafang for a fix, until they eventually created a message and email group between us and a team of engineers to diagnose the problem, and then we tested various solutions and provided feed back. This whole process has been going on for many many months.

It's up to you to contact the various suppliers from where you got your motors to obtain the updates.

I'm not allowed to share firmware, nor would I, as I believe because of all of the work we have put in, our customers deserve the benefit of the improvements first

If you dont wanna share, why you writing here this? Dont worry, that firmware will be soon preloaded in motors by Bafang.

Good luck with your sales.

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
If you dont wanna share, why you writing here this? Dont worry, that firmware will be soon preloaded in motors by Bafang.

Good luck with your sales.
Because I have been accused of lying, so I was providing the detail.
The information and effort to have it fixed is obviously not appreciated, so I'll no longer be sharing information such as this on this forum.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france

As you know (or may be not ?), bafang sale their motor with different level of servicies and it seem that they don't provide after sale servicies to the chiness dealer. result for the customers who request upgrade to their dealer => no answer.

The only solution left for us is to tirelessly weep online for that one generous soul share the upgrade who solve ours problem. I will never more ask directly to bafang.

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
As you know (or may be not ?), bafang sale their motor with different level of servicies and it seem that they don't provide after sale servicies to the chiness dealer. result for the customers who request upgrade to their dealer => no answer.

The only solution left for us is to tirelessly weep online for that one generous soul share the upgrade who solve ours problem. I will never more ask directly to bafang.
Maybe those dealers need to develop a better relationship with Bafang, and provide better customer service to their customers.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
May be, but i also understand their position. They'r only subsupplier, they haven't time destinate to after sale. Honestly you don't thik that this party is responsability of bafang, not their dealers ? they want to be equivalent of major motors provider companies, the first step is not to insure that the final customers will be satified ? mainly for an problem of soft upgrade, that they have solved in addition.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Because I have been accused of lying, so I was providing the detail.
The information and effort to have it fixed is obviously not appreciated, so I'll no longer be sharing information such as this on this forum.

Ok, goodbye. You behaving as a kid.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Chris, I don't think anybody has accused you of lying, just this is an internet forum where not all can be taken as gospel. We need a bit more proof before we can say yes VMG Chris is the biz, nothing more than that.

If you have indeed a close relationship with Bafang why not put a bit of pressure on them to allow a firmware upgrade path via their App and say the DPC241 and later displays using bluetooth. The software is already available and already in their App, just greyed out and not yet useable.

You and your clients will be far better off if that was the case as you could / will have similar problems to us as soon as your motors go out into the field.

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
May be, but i also understand their position. They'r only subsupplier, they haven't time destinate to after sale. Honestly you don't thik that this party is responsability of bafang, not their dealers ? they want to be equivalent of major motors provider companies, the first step is not to insure that the final customers will be satified ? mainly for an problem of soft upgrade, that they have solved in addition.
I agree Bafang need to keep customers happy, and they have taken the first step by dedicating resource and fixing the motor. However as a business they need to manage how it is distributed for many reasons such risk, liability, and also version control. I understand why they don't freely release firmware files to the general public, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bosch, Brose etc release the files either?

This is why you need a brand/dealer/supplier that will support you. BESST Pro and Go+ will help alleviate a lot of this, but until testing is finished you're reliant on your supplier.

We've had M510 for 12 ,months, and we were one of the first to receive motors. We didn't have all the problems that unfortunately some of you have had with it, but we still have been working with Bafang the entire time to improve the motor. I've said during this time that I'm not allowed and would not share the files. It's very easy for Bafang to track the source of the file, and if we had, we would have broken our relationship with Bafang, and not have been in a position to work with the engineering teams to finally get it it fixed.

We planned our roll out of motors, and we put in place a plan so that our early customers were able to have any issues resolved.

This delayed us a little, but now our customers are providing fantastic feedback on the bike and motor, and getting Personal Best times, and even King of the Mountain on Strava segments.

Just backing up a little, I provided the information because, I thought you would all like to know what we had been working on with Bafang and that we'd resolved the issue with the motor. I should have known better, this is the internet and I was shot down. Lesson learnt, I'll be keeping this information to myself from now on.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Ok, congratulation. :)

We know for months, motor is stronger comparing to legal motors. It is showing me 830W peak. I have 1m8s less (on a 7min long segment)

Better ask that "first-class" bafang designers: why is acceleration not working and why they put there such a useless parameter - Startup Angle. Everybody wants to have it configured with as low starting delay as possible. I would rather welcome cut off voltage setting instead of SA. They should leave it on a dealer to setup if you dont have original baffang battery.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I think its important to recognize that 'depending on your perspective', each user of Bafang motors and systems expects different things.

Such as,
-innovation
-durability
-longevity
-support
-versitility
And most important,
-A plug-n-play platform

The M510 motor (in my opinion), was rushed to market far too soon. To which many of us have left somewhat perplexed as to whether the hype was worth it.

The simple truth is that no one single firmware will ultimately improve the motor. Moreso, reworking the existing controller (or rather offering suitable controllers with pre built functions to cater for speed/power/torque/cadence etc) should've been implemented. To which brands or builders can have a single motor. But choose a controller to install with defined characteristics, indicative of the style of ebike it is equipped too.

I often wondered why Bafang released 4 motors (within a 4 year window) which use the same mounting hardware (I.e. M500/M600/M510/M410). Internally, some aspects differ. But fundamentally, they share a lot in common.

Fingers crossed, Bafang makes the necessary arrangements to ensure that any new motors released in the future, can be adapted more broadly to ensure that everyone can benefit from using their systems (Brands and DIY Builders) 👍🏿

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Neeko, concurrence has for years 3kg motors, si I would say Bafang is late.

And it is rediculous, they can not put out working firmware after 3/4y of selling it. Something strange is there happening, it is not a rocket science to code such a small controller. Controlling logic is very well known, hw part of controllers is same for years. And they have years of experiences in motors, so dont get it. They just making themself bad reputation.

Also last time a guy with M510 in Leaderfox was complainig to me about behaving of motor. :(

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I agree Bafang need to keep customers happy, and they have taken the first step by dedicating resource and fixing the motor. However as a business they need to manage how it is distributed for many reasons such risk, liability, and also version control. I understand why they don't freely release firmware files to the general public, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bosch, Brose etc release the files either?

This is why you need a brand/dealer/supplier that will support you. BESST Pro and Go+ will help alleviate a lot of this, but until testing is finished you're reliant on your supplier.

We've had M510 for 12 ,months, and we were one of the first to receive motors. We didn't have all the problems that unfortunately some of you have had with it, but we still have been working with Bafang the entire time to improve the motor. I've said during this time that I'm not allowed and would not share the files. It's very easy for Bafang to track the source of the file, and if we had, we would have broken our relationship with Bafang, and not have been in a position to work with the engineering teams to finally get it it fixed.

We planned our roll out of motors, and we put in place a plan so that our early customers were able to have any issues resolved.

This delayed us a little, but now our customers are providing fantastic feedback on the bike and motor, and getting Personal Best times, and even King of the Mountain on Strava segments.

Just backing up a little, I provided the information because, I thought you would all like to know what we had been working on with Bafang and that we'd resolved the issue with the motor. I should have known better, this is the internet and I was shot down. Lesson learnt, I'll be keeping this information to myself from now on.
Your are fully wrong. SHIMANO provide in line regulary update of their software directely to the final customers, for BOSCH you need to return to your dealer but it's mostly policy to keep their customer captif and before appliing of this policy they take care that they have enough dealer on countries to satified the customers, not the case of bafang.

About your sharing (communication?) of a solution found by bafang to say that the next generation of engine is debugged, you are right, this information is of no use for the previous buyer who cannot access this "fabulous" review, because bafang doesn't care about their products after sale, even if it's faulty

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Neeko, concurrence has for years 3kg motors, si I would say Bafang is late.

And it is rediculous, they can not put out working firmware after 3/4y of selling it. Something strange is there happening, it is not a rocket science to code such a small controller. Controlling logic is very well known, hw part of controllers is same for years. And they have years of experiences in motors, so dont get it. They just making themself bad reputation.

Also last time a guy with M510 in Leaderfox was complainig to me about behaving of motor. :(
It's not a problem of difficulty, just the bafang policy. they are bloqued on the passt, they don't take care of the final customers, They take care only the dealer who will purchase several unity of motor. They estimate that the better way to promove their motor is to financiate obscur racing teams. At time of netwoork i estimatr that is a biggest mistake.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I think its important to recognize that 'depending on your perspective', each user of Bafang motors and systems expects different things.

Such as,
-innovation
-durability
-longevity
-support
-versitility
And most important,
-A plug-n-play platform

The M510 motor (in my opinion), was rushed to market far too soon. To which many of us have left somewhat perplexed as to whether the hype was worth it.

The simple truth is that no one single firmware will ultimately improve the motor. Moreso, reworking the existing controller (or rather offering suitable controllers with pre built functions to cater for speed/power/torque/cadence etc) should've been implemented. To which brands or builders can have a single motor. But choose a controller to install with defined characteristics, indicative of the style of ebike it is equipped too.

I often wondered why Bafang released 4 motors (within a 4 year window) which use the same mounting hardware (I.e. M500/M600/M510/M410). Internally, some aspects differ. But fundamentally, they share a lot in common.

Fingers crossed, Bafang makes the necessary arrangements to ensure that any new motors released in the future, can be adapted more broadly to ensure that everyone can benefit from using their systems (Brands and DIY Builders) 👍🏿
The M series is sold since 2017 and it's designed to seduce major bicycle companies. Unfortunately This is the bafang functioning mode, they transfer motor developing to the suppliers. This policy have perfectly functioning with the BBS. But BAFANG haven't taking in count in the paradigm shift. Now their competitors are occidental companies who manage their pictures and take care in the customers opinion, The motors purchaser are major brand of bicycle, not little workshop worker who can invest in développions of the motor. To win an advantage on the competition with their competencies to provide reliability. On the contrary, no major company will purchase hers motors if the first users can't have an motor who functionally correctly. Pity because their motor have great potential, i'm sad about this situation mostly for the M510 where it's problem of software who seems already solved in add. But not for us.

Jil

Dec 6, 2022
France
Hi M510 users !

I haven't been trough the 42 pages of this post ;)
I wonder if, after a few months use, you find the Bafang M510 :
- reliable,
- silent ?

And for those who have tested other motors, how does it compare with the Bosch Gen 4, Shimano EP8, Yamah PW-X2 or Brose S ?

Thanks !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles