Bafang m510

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
But that front light cable is useless as gives only 2.5W! Come on Bafang!

I am verry thrilled about that M510 v3.2 - it behaves really great, like Bosh, plus much more power. ;) On Pass 1 with heavy pedalling during acceleration getting 450W.

Still run motor recalibration without chain after new firmware - it can help in smoothnes.
May i ask you what firmware you are using at the moment for the m510 and how it behaves when battery charge is going under 20%? I guess you drive the 48v version right?!! Thanks man

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello.

V3.2 48V battery. There is limitation from 10% and 5%.
in battery is still 30% when it show 10%, but u wont be able to drain battery till the end ( cut off voltage).
Read our previoys findings and posts.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Had a proper ride today. My M510 is not great at ‘soft’ pressure on the pedals. It’s very on-off. Impossible to cruise and feather the pedals, almost like an on off switch! Any ideas?!

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Had a proper ride today. My M510 is not great at ‘soft’ pressure on the pedals. It’s very on-off. Impossible to cruise and feather the pedals, almost like an on off switch! Any ideas?!

Hmmm, do u have firm v3.2 flashed? As this one is working great on pedalling.
When u going low speed and soft pressure on pedals, motor is turning off - thats how it should be. But I can not feel any unwanted kick when I start to pedal harder.

V3.1 was very on-off in my opinion.

Try to recalibrate motor (without chain, and u can hold pedals). Nothing else I can now advice. We need to wait for proper 48V firmware version. :(

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
What firmware are u using at the moment Rob? Ghis problem accored to some of us - me too. Tried to resolve by flashing a new firmware that Chili provided (she gotbin contaxt with bafang) but suddenly my motor stopped working. Dont know if my controller (part of the motor) has a problem due to the firmware flashing or if there was another problem with cabling or remote because of some water entrance while or afzer riding in light rainfall 🤷‍♂️.
I am currently waiting for a new remote to se wether thats the problem or its thr motor 😜

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
What firmware are u using at the moment Rob? Ghis problem accored to some of us - me too. Tried to resolve by flashing a new firmware that Chili provided (she gotbin contaxt with bafang) but suddenly my motor stopped working. Dont know if my controller (part of the motor) has a problem due to the firmware flashing or if there was another problem with cabling or remote because of some water entrance while or afzer riding in light rainfall 🤷‍♂️.
I am currently waiting for a new remote to se wether thats the problem or its thr motor 😜
I’m still on 3.0

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Hello.

V3.2 48V battery. There is limitation from 10% and 5%.
in battery is still 30% when it show 10%, but u wont be able to drain battery till the end ( cut off voltage).
Read our previoys findings and posts.
Ok, i understand, so we'll need to wait for an update of 3.2 firmware to fit to 48V Battery right? But i can already now use the 3.2 with the 48v battery - just will not have right % indication.
Can you tell me where i can find the 3.2 firmware your talking about?

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
I’m still on 3.0
I‘m using firmware
CRX10NC4814i101003-1-cs-28-2230-boot3-0-20220517161110-48v-M510.bin
available on GitHub. I‘m quite happy with it, especially in regards of Battery attenuation. Full power down to 10%.
You need to wait 30 sec. after engine start with no weight on Your pedal - don’t touch.
Then Your motor runs flawless. Hopefully. 😂

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
If you would read the comments a little more carefully instead of showing your wounds and being focused on increasing the power to only be able to ride 1 hour at 900W. You would have seen that many people on the forum still can't reprogram the controllers with the new firmware. Rob included....

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
I have emailed Gordon at Bafang again, hopefully we can get this controller update issue sorted.

Hello Rob, the reason is the firmware version 3.0 - I hope they will provide you correct firmware soon. (Bafang is now preparing for Eurobike)
Lets wait for proper firmware before the M510 test ride video and I think you would have smile on your face all the time. ;)

I have some observations, dont know what is happening with Bafang, but they breaking things in new firmwares which already worked good. Let me sumarize it (sorry I am mentioning also non M510 motors, just to show how it is going down the drain...)

Bafang HD - latest fw. versions were overriding throttle with pedalling. During pedalling you would get throtle engage only when you press throttle to the end and u will get 1200W kick.
Bafang M600 - latest 48V firmware is rotating chainring 1.5 sec after stop pedalling - so not usable on trails.
Bafang M600 - latest 43V firmware v63.7- Throttle started to behave strange - when u press throttle, chainring start to spin slowly and with low power, then you get full power just after 1 second - which is too much delay. Such a throttle beahviour is not usable on trails (you want to add little speed before jump over throttle, but due to this delay you cant). During start from stand still you wont notice it much, but when you press throttle in mid speeds and high speeds, you feel like nothing is happening when u press throttle for a second. :( I hope they wont put this behaviour also into other firmwares! Maybe some feature to save casette and chain, but I dont want it dear Bafang - if you want to leave there this shitty function, lets put it into display menu and let user to turn it on or off!
I must also say with this firmware and 48V battery I am getting 1350W and you can feel it! Now it is going like a rocket and will be good racing setup... ;)
Bafang M510 - firmware 3.2 - version for 52V battery even filename (and I guess also info inside bin file) is saying something else.

Thats all ridiculous, everything just software baby issues, I am starting to think Bafang is doing it on purpose. ;) Or they have really dumb developers and testing guys.

Guys, please, read also previous posts as Migli writing as everything was here mentioned already many times. Seems to me we just turning in a circle...
Try to keep it technical and do not post here your armors and wounds. ;)

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Maybe we should put down some items which are NO GO for real ebike riders and hand over to Bafang. I can start, feel free to add some:

1. Quick stop of chainring rotation after stop pedalling
2. No delays on a throttle (Imagine you would have 1 sec delay on your car throttle)
3. Throttle to have still max power on each PASS. (With M510 it is behaving so, but on M600 max throttle power depends on PASS - so where is the logic? Similar motors and behaving differently!)
4. Smooth start on pedalling
5. Better %SOC calculation - no need to implement over mapping from voltage only - the worst and cheapest option - it is not precise and depends also on battery chemistry. They can do also Coulomb counting once you enter your battery usable energy capacity - like I coded in K1 Monitor). Professional solution for SOC monitoring is a fuel gauge chip, which first few cycles "learns" the battery and then it shows % almost perfect - and this chip cost up to 1$! I guess, this method is in original Bafang batteries, which is then communicating with controller over the bus.
Also do not allow to raise %SOC when you rest for few mins - that is funny and everybody is asking me about this. (Your mobile battery % also do not raise without charging, in fact this is the first battery device where I see battery % raising without charging )
6. Low battery power limitation (ride safe home function) - limit power starting from 10% SOC or let user turn on or off this function in display menu
7. Let experienced users to setup Cut Off Voltage (like for UART motors) over Besst. Now Cut off Voltage is setup too high.
8. Disable that power ramp up function after power ON! What is the meaning of this? I have never seen such a function setup on controllers.

Last edited:

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
The last information I have from bafang is :
Instead of plugging and unplugging the controller on the BESST tool in the final step, try powering the battery on and off instead.
I will try this tonight.

In the tests already done :
- Try another PC
- Try another hardware besst tool
- Try another version of BESST software

The only thing I noticed for the moment is that I can flash the controller with the same firmware already present in the controller. It's completely useless but it works...

I am afraid that the uC are different because of the shortage and that the firmware is not compatible between each M510 engine. It will be a gas factory for bafang. Or we will soon have a new besst tool where we can set the controller parameters ourselves...🙌

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
So was somebody able to flash v3.2 to older M510 motor with the trick with older Besst software version as somebody was mentioning?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
bafang develop their firmwares to satisfy request of their sellers and the motors used for city/road Ebike or cargo don't need same functioning than EMTB and more all the EMTB users appreciate sometime firmware completely different. I think as bafang estimate that the seller are the propritary of their fimware, they not communicate of their characteristics. Consequency we need to test a lot off firmware before found those satisfy his expect, without any certitude that is the "best" for us.
I have tried to traduce in value the firmwares tested to have possibility to compare, but it is very complicate. Mostly for an non geek who prefer riding than play with the computer. But may be if somebody could make an .xls with all characteristic to register to judge a firmware, we can togethere define each firmwares ?

it seem also that exist have different controller chipset (it's in line with that said my M510 seller) and we have dedicated firmware for each component ?

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
bafang develop their firmwares to satisfy request of their sellers and the motors used for city/road Ebike or cargo don't need same functioning than EMTB and more all the EMTB users appreciate sometime firmware completely different. I think as bafang estimate that the seller are the propritary of their fimware, they not communicate of their characteristics. Consequency we need to test a lot off firmware before found those satisfy his expect, without any certitude that is the "best" for us.
I have tried to traduce in value the firmwares tested to have possibility to compare, but it is very complicate. Mostly for an non geek who prefer riding than play with the computer. But may be if somebody could make an .xls with all characteristic to register to judge a firmware, we can togethere define each firmwares ?

it seem also that exist have different controller chipset (it's in line with that said my M510 seller) and we have dedicated firmware for each component ?

I agree it is up to Bafang to decide how it shoulde behave. They can leave it there as a default, but let the dealers to turn on or off or setup these "stupid" functions over Besst. Do u agree? ( I am talking about power limitation starting %, throttle delay, delays after stop pedalling, ramp up power after piwer On...

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
I agree it is up to Bafang to decide how it shoulde behave. They can leave it there as a default, but let the dealers to turn on or off or setup these "stupid" functions over Besst. Do u agree? ( I am talking about power limitation starting %, throttle delay, delays after stop pedalling, ramp up power after piwer On...
Who know ? may be somebody request that ? or it is a joke firmware ? we found a lot of firmware in line but we never really know where they come. It will be better that bafang provide few "official firmware" for each use on her site, but with her policy "no contact" with customers they win an picture of messy company.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
@Rob Rides EMTB how do you like the m510? except for a bit of wild behavior (on-off), but he gets used to it with time. giant syncdrive pro is quite similar to wild behavior? with the fact that with the upgrade the motor is already more fluid, and @KaroKönig says that with 52v fw it works smoothly. mainly comparison of m510 with, bosch, giant, brose, shimano? if you can give a quick opinion. thank you

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB how do you like the m510? except for a bit of wild behavior (on-off), but he gets used to it with time. giant syncdrive pro is quite similar to wild behavior? with the fact that with the upgrade the motor is already more fluid, and @KaroKönig says that with 52v fw it works smoothly. mainly comparison of m510 with, bosch, giant, brose, shimano? if you can give a quick opinion. thank you
As of right now, honestly, not good at all. Miles and miles apart from a 'big' brand. Feels real homebrew in comparison. On and off pedal response is really laborious and also it doesn't feel fluid at all to me. It feels like it has a ton of potential with the right firmware.

I really, really want them to get this right!

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
As of right now, honestly, not good at all. Miles and miles apart from a 'big' brand. Feels real homebrew in comparison. On and off pedal response is really laborious and also it doesn't feel fluid at all to me. It feels like it has a ton of potential with the right firmware.

I really, really want them to get this right!
It‘s really a shame. I simply don’t get that Bafang does not show any interest in customer feedback and satisfaction. How do they think to get into the market as a serious competitor? Convince a major brand to pick their products? Only thing they get done currently is bad reputation.

Dave Rand

Jan 25, 2022
Kent Uk
I won’t touch a M510 till the firmware is sorted!

my M600 feels quite good apart from the slightly aggressive initial pull away which I’m used to now!

but Bafang are light years behind Bosch on usability! And there attitude to customers sucks!

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
my M600 feels quite good apart from the slightly aggressive initial pull away which I’m used to now!

but Bafang are light years behind Bosch on usability! And there attitude to customers sucks!

You should have feel 1200W kick on Bafang HD. ;)) And I got used to. Even the torque sensor - I could live without. Just to have correctly setup power levels.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks

i cant beat that fkn thing tho 😂
At 5.6kg its only real application is a
1657315736660.png

Afaixeda

Mar 1, 2021
17007, Girona
Hi mates,

Yesteraday read news from this thread and put again my M510 on frame and update software to 3.2. My stock software motor M510 is 3.1, i use besst tool with account, no hacked.

The process to update is little diferent from M500/M600, in final step no show disconect and connect, the software is charged on box and later is writed in motor without disconnect/connect.

All good and ready for test 3.2, the cut power is solved, I wait 1 minut without touch ebike after start system. Power is good and useable on all moment with diferent strong pushed on pedals.

In my opinion need push to strong pedals for motor make full output power, read peaks on 17A 920w when push hard pedals. I use 52v battery and full charged.

I would like to get the power output without having to push the pedals so hard at the maximum assist level.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
does somebody can clarified: what whould mean those spaeak of using "52 v" battery ? which motor they have (36/43/48 ?)
48V battery (13S 2170 cells) is 54V fully charged and it is usable on 48V motor whithout any modification (54V => 100% full)

52V battery are what ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles