Are we allowed to talk about altering the max assist level?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Hey there, have a full 29er Relay with the Fazua 60 motor in the mail and I'll be switching it to a 27.5:" rear wheel, which will reduce the speed at which assistance cuts out.

What are my options for altering this? Preferably, invisible options.

Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you mean the max assist speed, then yes, we can talk all we like about it, but in the de-restriction section under "motors".

I guess that's because A: It's Illegal (off private property) B: It upsets some people C: the de-restrict area has warnings in there about "A".

On the bright side, if the assistance cuts out at a lower speed, you'll have a longer range and stronger legs ! :)

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I actually wondered this about the new Levo SL...

I'm going to be running mine as a 29'er for a while anyway whilst I decide on which wheel set I want. The mastermind TCU shows speed / distance etc. Is there a way of telling the bike that I'm running a 29" rear wheel so that the stats are correct?
Surely with it having a flip chip for the user to change, you're not going to have to take it to the LBS to change it over in a special menu somewhere?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If you mean the max assist speed, then yes, we can talk all we like about it, but in the de-restriction section under "motors".

I guess that's because A: It's Illegal (off private property) B: It upsets some people C: the de-restrict area has warnings in there about "A".

On the bright side, if the assistance cuts out at a lower speed, you'll have a longer range and stronger legs ! :)
D: It could void your warranty.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hey there, have a full 29er Relay with the Fazua 60 motor in the mail and I'll be switching it to a 27.5:" rear wheel, which will reduce the speed at which assistance cuts out.

What are my options for altering this? Preferably, invisible options.

Thanks
Depending upon which tyres and which rims, you may discover that the difference in overall wheel/tyre diameter is very small. I have just been into the garage to measure the wheel diameter on my mullet. I got 29" front and 28" rear. In other words, the rear wheel is only 3.4% smaller in diameter. Yes, I know, you want every bit of speed can get. But that means that your assist will stop at 24.14kph instead of 25kph. Or 15.09mph instead of 15.63mph. Is it really worth losing your warranty over that?

But to answer your question, one invisible option would be to get a big chunky tyre, for the rear, preferably one from brands that are known to measure up large. I believe that Continental and WTB fall into that category. Do your research because it may be specific types within the brand that measure big. In my personal experience I can speak for the Continental Trail King and the WTB Trail Boss.

Also, I would expect that a narrower rim would make the tyre assume a larger diameter. So, a 30mm internal width instead of a 35 for example.

Last edited:

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
The new SL comes as a mullet so it's set up as a 27.5" rear wheel, specialized have hyped up the bike a lot about running it mullet or 29/29 with the easy adjustment of a flip chip

You think Specialized would make it easier than having to go to your LBS (if you have one) to get something as simple as a new measurement input to change your circumference and possibly get charged for asking to get it done 🙄

Nothing is simple these days is it 😂

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The new SL comes as a mullet so it's set up as a 27.5" rear wheel, specialized have hyped up the bike a lot about running it mullet or 29/29 with the easy adjustment of a flip chip

You think Specialized would make it easier than having to go to your LBS (if you have one) to get something as simple as a new measurement input to change your circumference and possibly get charged for asking to get it done 🙄

Nothing is simple these days is it 😂
If it's only going to make 0.5mph difference, then it's hardly worth the trip. My Garmin will give me the correct data anyway.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles