Appropriate roof bike carrier for two E MTB (Rockrider and LaPierre)

Knuckle89

Jul 26, 2023
Dorset
Looking for some advice - I have always previously used roof carriers on roof racks to transport bikes.

My friend and I have both now got E Mtbs and are looking to each buy roof bars for our cars. We’ll then buy a bike carrier each so no matter who is driving that day we’ll have two.

Anyway I tried our old Thule bike carriers, the free ride 532 - no good. The pincer that clamps to the frame can’t be opened wide enough for the beefy e bikes.

Does anyone recommend a carrier compatible with both bikes ? Thule preferably and Thule compatible definitely.

Both have wide bottom bars on the frame. Both batteries will be removed.

Bikes:
Rockrider EST900
IMG-3040.jpg

LaPierre Overvolt HT 8.6
IMG-3042.jpg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Have a look at the Thule UpRide 599 Roof Mount Bike Carrier.

It doesn't have a locking arm like your existing carrier but a retractable cable that's stored in the back of the aluminium carrier.
The only thing that you need to be careful of is to make sure the front arms definitely lock together after you've mounted the bike, and add a strap to secure the longer of the arms when there's no bike on, as it could possibly swing forward onto the windscreen (though I may have been overly cautious!).

1709507489094.png

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
It is only a matter of when (not if) you will drop one of the bikes onto the roof and then onto the pavement, damaging the car and the bike. Or, worst case scenario, the bike comes off at speed and goes through the windshield of the car behind. Roof racks are designed for 10 kg road bikes, not 25 kg emtbs.
Suck it up, put a 2" hitch receiver on both cars, then get ONE rack that can be easily moved from car to car.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal

It doesn't have a locking arm like your existing carrier but a retractable cable that's stored in the back of the aluminium carrier.
The only thing that you need to be careful of is to make sure the front arms definitely lock together after you've mounted the bike, and add a strap to secure the longer of the arms when there's no bike on, as it could possibly swing forward onto the windscreen (though I may have been overly cautious!).

View attachment 135631
Bought this rack to carry my full power eMTB (over 25kg), and never had issues until now.

I would say, you need to check if you're able to lift your beast above your head, even after the normal ride, and have an height to place it above the roof.

I wouldn't advice placing this on a MPV/SUV - you'll need to have some kind of step (unless you're over 2m height).

My ebike is over the weight limit, but unless you ride on very bumpy road, it shouldn't be a problem.
Normally I do above 120km/h on highway, and really don't do any rally style stunts/driving.

For extra security, I place two straps in X shape:
One from the front wheel to the rear roof rack (red)
Another from the rear wheel to the front roof rack(blue)

On long journeys, I place extra straps at the end off each side on the handlebar, bracing the front roof rack (green).

The reason for the roof rack, is because I don't have hitch on every car, and do have roof racks on all.

You are limited to park the car (garages/some petro stations/ etc), you ear much more noise than when carrying at the back, and it's much harder to place the bike (for obvious reasons).
It is however more secure, since any car hitting yoi behind/or if you hit something while reversing, won't damage your ebike.

Screenshot_20240309_141511_Chrome.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There were many reasons for not transporting our eMTB’s on the roof of our SUV.
-the weight of both eMTB’s.
-the change of COG on the vehicle.
-wind noise at high speeds.
-vehicle structure.
-raising bikes overhead.
-vertical clearance. (Some drive-thru restaurants, parking garages, your own garage, low bridges, Ferries etc.
-unable to see the bikes,
-blasting winds and weather.
…and a few other risks that I can’t think of right now.

We had a 2” hitch receiver installed on our vehicle which allowed me to choose which type of rear bike rack was suitable. There are many options. Storage of the rack during non-use was important. My Thule folds up to the size of a large piece of luggage …with wheels, but it’s expensive.
IMG_5294.jpeg
IMG_5302.jpeg
Suitable for eMTB’s and has three separate locking features.

yoterryh

Nov 14, 2023
Portland, OR
Call Thule and ask them the maximum weight capacity of their strongest roof rack. Then go get a hitch receiver and buy a 1Up rack.
PXL_20230905_235839440.jpg

Jul 30, 2022
Scotland
Still yet to buy an ebike but my intention is to use my Yakima roofbars I already have for my analog until I can afford a hitch/rear carrier. Max weight for the Yakima is 18kg, and with the front tire and battery removed it should bring the bike within/close to that limit.

I agree with the others in the thread though, if you can afford it get a hitch. You'll also save money in fuel by having less drag.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Still yet to buy an ebike but my intention is to use my Yakima roofbars I already have for my analog until I can afford a hitch/rear carrier. Max weight for the Yakima is 18kg, and with the front tire and battery removed it should bring the bike within/close to that limit.

I agree with the others in the thread though, if you can afford it get a hitch. You'll also save money in fuel by having less drag.
Check the wheel base and if it fits on the support.

Yakima had a limit of 1200mm if I can recall.

Although there is a weight limit, any ebike will be within acceptable range, taking into consideration that bike racks should have a safety factor greater than 1.5 (18kg limit × 1.5 ~ 27kg).

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey

View attachment 135631
I’ve used the upride for my emtb but to stick to the 20kg weight maximum defined by Thule, I removed the battery, pedals and chain. Didn’t have any issues but certainly took corners slower than usual to reduce lateral weight transfer. Went through considerably more fuel on a long motorway trip due to drag

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
-vehicle structure.
-raising bikes overhead.
-vertical clearance. (Some drive-thru restaurants, parking garages, your own garage, low bridges, Ferries etc.

We had a 2” hitch receiver installed on our vehicle which allowed me to choose which type of rear bike rack was suitable. There are many options. Storage of the rack during non-use was important. My Thule folds up to the size of a large piece of luggage …with wheels, but it’s expensive.
View attachment 136029
View attachment 136030
This is what I've got
It's a removable hitch when not in use it's hidden behind the rear fender
Job done

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
-vehicle structure.
-raising bikes overhead.

View attachment 136029
View attachment 136030
Water ingress, if even in a slight drizzle on the highspeed highway. If behind the vehicle on a hitch rack, minimizes it and or easier to put on a rip-proof, fitted cover as well👍

Hitch rack all way...it's too pragmatic, especially on the lower back for 25 kg/55 lbs + heavier rigs! 🤟

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
This is what I've got
It's a removable hitch when not in use it's hidden behind the rear fender
Job done
We have shared access to 2 other types of bike racks with 2” receivers. (Kuat and Thule). These are very suitable for 2 heavy eMTB’s, but they are heavy and can be difficult to store away when not in use.

I did a review of this rack a while ago and we use this rack for longer trips (3.5 hour drive and overnight stay is a long trip for me). Whether it’s a trip to Kelowna or Whistler for vacation, this rack can easily be removed, folded, and stored in the back of the SUV (boot?), or brought inside with the other luggage.

I know it’s a bit pricey …but this was the answer for me. This rack lives under my shop bench and is out of the way.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles