Which roof rack for emtb?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Have you actually weighed the bike? I've looked online but can't see it listed. Our HT Haibikes both weigh less than the Thule 591/598 20kg limit but that's with the batteries removed. Is it possible to remove the Levo's battery easily?

For general info the 598 has a more substantial frame clamp and tyre straps than the 591 and is worth the premium over discounted 591.

Lumix357

May 12, 2020
Austria
Have you actually weighed the bike? I've looked online but can't see it listed. Our HT Haibikes both weigh less than the Thule 591/598 20kg limit but that's with the batteries removed. Is it possible to remove the Levo's battery easily?

For general info the 598 has a more substantial frame clamp and tyre straps than the 591 and is worth the premium over discounted 591.

Bike weights 20kg without the battery. The problem is the frame which is too wide, the 598 arm seems to fit 8cm wide bike frame, mine is 8.3cm so I am kind of worried (maybe it will fit if pushed in).. the other thing is, isnt it a problem to transport an ebike without the battery on because of the rain?

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
598 won't fit a Levo (atleast Levo 2017 model). I have occasionally used Thule 565 thru ride with battery removed. It's just a pain to put the bike on the 565 without someone helping. 598 is way better, but won't work with the majority of ebikes.

Roof racks and ebikes are a major pita. Look for alternative ways to transport.

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I use a yakima front loader with my spectral. Its rated to 18kg so I’m overloading it but thats my risk to take. With the battery out its not far off so happy to take the risk.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
9A6D8868-A6FF-4AA0-BBF2-84CB7014A64B.jpeg

Pasho

May 7, 2021
London
Wouldn't securing with straps help (until Thule updates their models)? MX bikes are held vertically with straps:
c6e0c9ae22efc8c00663980d635a5dcd46d1568d_TWN_U002_Tie_Downs_final_2.png

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I contacted all the popular manufacturers, Saris, Thule etc. who were quite adamant that their roof and boot carriers were NOT suitable for EMTB's even though in some cases the the total weight load quoted for their multi bike racks was far in excess of the weight of the EMTB. I came to the conclusion that there is not currently a suitable carrier for EMTB's other than the ones fitted to tow bars. You may get away with carrying one but if something happened, even if it was not directly attributable to carrying excess weight, you would be on very dodgy ground with your insurer.

Al

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
This is my fat bike on a roof rack I made for it, basically secured with ratchet straps. I’ve used the same method to secure my FS and wife’s hard tail on standard 20kg max Thule bike rails. Apart from ratchet straps all you need are some lifting eyes and rail bolts.
1624372783194.jpeg

Pasho

May 7, 2021
London
I improved my 599 setup with ratchet straps and eye bolts. The hold is so strong, that there is no sound from the bike/rack when the car goes side to side (it used to creak even with 15kg bikes). You just forget that it's there. I used to pull out the battery, no longer have to do it.

Eyebolts:
Ratchet straps:
Handlebar soft loop for ratchet:

IMG_9666.JPG

IMG_9667.JPG

IMG_9668.JPG

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
I improved my 599 setup with ratchet straps and eye bolts. The hold is so strong, that there is no sound from the bike/rack when the car goes side to side (it used to creak even with 15kg bikes). You just forget that it's there. I used to pull out the battery, no longer have to do it.

Eyebolts:
Ratchet straps:

View attachment 71982

View attachment 71983

View attachment 71984

Nice, thanks for this I'll go for the same setup

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yakima High Road. Had this for over a year and done thousands of miles with the EMTB on it. It’s a great bit of kit, really easy to use too.

I also have various Thule roof carriers and this makes them seem like plastic toys, and is way easier to get the bike into place on.

It holds the bike rock solid, and most importantly the connection of the carrier to the roof bars is substantial, and spreads the load really well.

46DEF37D-F789-4ECA-B683-2296CA4C264B.jpeg

2B795B82-6293-4ED6-A83C-366A023EA24B.jpeg

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey

Eyebolts:
Ratchet straps:

View attachment 71982

View attachment 71983

View attachment 71984

Worked great (didn't fall off) thank you.

20211010_134326.jpg

calisp

Apr 12, 2021
UK
I have a Pendle ErgoRack hopefully arriving this week:

As well as holding 23kg and being sold as suitable for e-bikes, it was the only carrier I could find that could take the wheelbase of my S5 Kenevo with its 200mm forks.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Three things I've witnessed or found out over the years.

After a long day at Cwmcarn a tired guy tries to lift his V10C up onto the roof of his very expensive Merc (not unlike yours R120), he slips off the rear door sill and drops his bike down the side of the car. Cue lots of swearing from him, and wincing from everyone else in the car park as a pedal does its thing.

While riding at FOD a guy fell off, not too badly, but one side was a bit worse for wear, he could drive home but had no way of lifting his DH bike onto the rack of his hatchback. Two other lads had to help him strip his filthy bike down and pack it into the back of the car as there wasn't anyone to help him take the bike off at home. He was struggling enough just getting in the drivers seat.

When i checked with my car insurance company about liability in an accident, they told me everything fixed rigidly to to car an IN FRONT OF the rear number plate / light board is classed as the 'vehicle'. So if someone stuffs into you on a slip road, you claim for the bike off their insurance. Items strapped to the roof aren't covered in the same way, and anything strapped to a tailgate mounted rack is laughed off. I'm certainly no insurance expert, but I've checked this with several UK insurers over the years and all have said the same.

Investing in a ball hitch and a proper tow bar mounted rack is the best thing any serious rider can do. They're a game changer.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Actually investing in a van is the best thing any serious rider can do, transporting your bike on the outside of a vehicle is the worst option, but needs must :cool:.

My Merc won't accommodate a tow bar, because its too low, the flip side of that being its very easy to lift the bike onto the roof. I also have an E-Cass estate, and the bike can go totally into the back without taking any wheels off with the seats down, and I use that if its raining.

I would never use a Thule roof bike holder for an e-bike, I have them on the car for my kids bikes and they are too flimsy IMO and I dont trust them, the Yakima is in a different league.

My insurance covers the bike on the roof in event of a third party accident too, I have found you have to ask for the cover when getting a quote.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Actually investing in a van is the best thing any serious rider can do, transporting your bike on the outside of a vehicle is the worst option, but needs must :cool:.

My Merc won't accommodate a tow bar, because its too low, the flip side of that being its very easy to lift the bike onto the roof. I also have an E-Cass estate, and the bike can go totally into the back without taking any wheels off with the seats down, and I use that if its raining.

I would never use a Thule roof bike holder for an e-bike, I have them on the car for my kids bikes and they are too flimsy IMO and I dont trust them, the Yakima is in a different league.

My insurance covers the bike on the roof in event of a third party accident too, I have found you have to ask for the cover when getting a quote.
Agree about a van. The problem I have is ferries to and from the Isle of Wight where I live, vans are double the price of something that's already a fortune. If roof mounts are the only option then your hands are tied I suppose.

calisp

Apr 12, 2021
UK
I have a Pendle ErgoRack hopefully arriving this week:

As well as holding 23kg and being sold as suitable for e-bikes, it was the only carrier I could find that could take the wheelbase of my S5 Kenevo with its 200mm forks.

Having used the ErgoRack a couple of times I'm really happy with it. It's really solid and using long T-track adapters so the connection to my roof bars are of no concern. It's also a very well thought out design.

There's two ways of loading. The recommended method is to attach the rack to the bike first and then slot it into the mounts already fixed to the roof bars. I found it difficult to do this due to the weight of the bike & rack. It's easy to mis-align as your lowering in and bash the rack on the mounts. Probably gets easier with practice but I made some rubber topped wooden platforms to cover the mounts. I can then plonk the rack down on these, move it into the correct position, lift the front wheel to remove the front platform and bolt the rack, then do the same at the rear. Sounds like a faff but it makes loading the bike such light work that it's really worth it. The bike feels really stable throughout.

The other way of loading is to bolt the rack to the roof first and then load the bike on to it as you would with any other rack. This works fine but until the axle has been inserted into the forks the bike isn't very secure and must be held by at least one hand. It hasn't happened but I worry about the forks slipping off the rack and hitting the roof when trying to insert the axle. I've also loaded the bike a couple of times to realise I'd left the axle on the floor which was really annoying. I think this would be the same for any fork mount rack.

Given the choice, I'd go with a tow hitch rack but given that any homologated car that I'd be happy driving would cost double what mine did that isn't an option. For the weight and length of my bike, the ErgoRack is the only roof option but fortunately it is a really good one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles