Tow bar bike Carrier

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
So im now in the market for a tow bar bike carrier, been looking at the Thule 927, are they any good??? and what are the alternatives??

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I use the Thule 927 3 bike carrier,
For normal bikes their very good, I had my first one for circa 4/5 years, only ”sold” it as a friend was selling his unused new carrier. comparing side by side, their was very little wear & tear between the two.
I would add, don’t rely on the locking thumb screws, perfectly adequate for purpose of preventing loosening during travel, though not ideal against the pesky scumbags that want to help themselves!
I think with Thule, the quality is very high and longevity assured, with simple design, albeit clumbersome to store.
In 4/5 years the only issue I had was breaking the vertical tube mount due to fitting error and not securing, replacement parts easily and timely available.
However carrying E bikes the frame geometry can make the top arm mount, troublesome to fit & snake through, the carrying limit is 60kgs, so my three bike carrier could only carry two ebikes and normal bike (perfect for my requirement)
Fortunately I have a single ebike to carry, the majority of the time and manage to fit nearest the towbar, if I take my son with his full suspension frame, it can be tricky securing his and snaking through the top arm, though realistically this is more a frame geometry issue, than it is a carrier fault, I end up fitting on the third rail, on the very rare occasion the wife comes along, I’d use the fourth bike adaptor and detachable rail (It has its own top mount)

Overall I’d say the Thule 927 is a very good carrier, patience is needed mounting to ensure top arm routing and frame/fork rubbing is mitigated though it’s simplicity and easy on/off & store in the boot more than supports user experience.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles