Bike Rack tow bar

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Any recommendations for at least two e bikes a 27.5 & a 29er.
We are putting them on a normal rack just now but would prefer on for an Ebike .

As usual thanks in advance your comments are very much appreciated.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
This is the rack i have its heavy but super strong try a website called roofbox they were brilliant and the cheapest when i bought mine.

Screenshot_20211102-122645_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dazb

Sep 27, 2021
North East England
I bought the Buzz rack escorpion and can't fault it, Takes 5 mins to put on and really sturdy, Haven't had it long but I have completed 2 100m round trips with my ebike on it and it was solid.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Thule easyfold xt 2 for me as well. Been up and down everything from motorways to dirt tracks with it on the back with zero issues. Just remember to get the carbon frame protector if you have a carbon bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Do not trust the jaws to hold your bike in place!
Twice the jaws let go and my bike pivoted down to the tarmac; first time when doing 40mph, second whilst only doing 15mph, but about to hit a sleeping policeman. (Traffic-calming device for those outside the UK). The grip and bar ended up being sanded at 45 degrees, and I believe that I got off lightly.

Now I take precautions and strap the bike to the jaws. Pretty much anything can be used, but I use these flexible straps.

Bike straps 3.jpg

They are called Gear Ties (this one is the mega twist 32") from Nite Ize. They are reusable and can be used many, many times. I got the orange colour so that I can see at a glance in the rear-view mirror whether I have fastened them on, or not.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Bit late as well, but I tried Thule and didnt get on with it so sold it with the car. Replaced it with an Atera rack, 2/3 the price, slides away from car rather than tilting (tilt doesnt give enough room to open my trucks rear door) and all the plastic coated straps wrap around wheels and frame and are lockable so no chance of twisting off and losing bikes! Far superior to Thule,

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.................and all the plastic coated straps wrap around wheels and frame and are lockable so no chance of twisting off and losing bikes! Far superior to Thule,
For the avoidance of doubt, when I mentioned that the jaws let go, I need to be clearer.

The jaws themselves did not loosen and the lock did not fail. What happened was that despite being done up as tight as I dare, the jaws shuffled about in transit and found a lower diameter section of the top tube. The slack enabled the top tube to slip out from the jaws.

So, the problem is a tapering top tube. I now do the shuffling about myself therefore the problem should never arise again. But seeing my bike disappear from the back of the car while at speed on a road was unnerving to say the least! I have no wish to ever see that again, hence the belt and braces delivered by the GearTie. :)

The Gear Tie is so secure that I would happily transport the bike without the jaws being fastened.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
I use the Atera, it was a 2, but when carrying 2 bikes they were too close, so I added the 3rd rail to keep them more apart, it seems solid and secure enough, I use some cut down inner tube to protect the frame.

5F466C91-73C6-4A11-8380-555FCAFE0E86.jpeg

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
A friend of mine has his regular bike stolen off a Thule rack, they undid the wheels then just twisted the bike out of the jaws!!
I’d never leave my bike unattended on a bike rack (or anywhere), if a Pikey tried to unload it while I was waiting at traffic lights or something then I’d simply reverse over them!

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
My sons bikes Carbon , what do you mean Frame Protector ? Just for scratches ?

No it's to prevent damage to carbon frames from the jaws. Basically spreads the load of the clamps over a wider area. Google Thule Carbon frame protector and it'll come up in the search. Use it on mine with zero issues.

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
No it's to prevent damage to carbon frames from the jaws. Basically spreads the load of the clamps over a wider area. Google Thule Carbon frame protector and it'll come up in the search. Use it on mine with zero issues.
Thanks for that just orders one 👍

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A friend of mine has his regular bike stolen off a Thule rack, they undid the wheels then just twisted the bike out of the jaws!!
Leaving the bike unattended was his first mistake.
Leaving it unattended without a secure lock was his second mistake.
But I'm sure he has learned now.
A hard lesson in bike security. :(

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use a piece of foam protector that the double-glazing units came with. But pipe insulation is very similar stuff and I have used that before very successfully. It feels free.

Kent

Nov 28, 2020
Israel
We are putting them on a normal rack just now but would prefer on for an Ebike .

I definitely recommend the Uebler i21, tow bar carrier for 2x e-bikes (60 kg load), I use it for 6 months now, easy to mount / dismount, quick bike loading / unloading, folds into a 20x29x60 cm rectangle, weighs 13 kg.

ACB53132-D786-4ED7-98E8-DC60DF009199.jpeg

Colcam

Sep 26, 2019
Scotland

I got the Atera Strada e bike ml,extra space between bikes and a better fit for longer wheelbase bikes,it also tilts.It’s quite a bit lighter than the thule

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
I have Thule easy fold . To be honest I like the idea of the folding rack as I have limited space to store it. It does move around a lot to the point I keep stopping thinking it is going to fall off. Does anyone else have this issue ?

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I have Thule easy fold . To be honest I like the idea of the folding rack as I have limited space to store it. It does move around a lot to the point I keep stopping thinking it is going to fall off. Does anyone else have this issue ?
When you put it in the towball is it tight, you can adjust that so it’s tight to lock on.

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
When you put it in the towball is it tight, you can adjust that so it’s tight to lock on.

thanks for the reply yes it is tight to the point I have to put all my weight on it to push the leaver down. Maybe I am missing something if I could post a video I would show you

T8COH

Oct 16, 2021
Dundee
Do not trust the jaws to hold your bike in place!
Twice the jaws let go and my bike pivoted down to the tarmac; first time when doing 40mph, second whilst only doing 15mph, but about to hit a sleeping policeman. (Traffic-calming device for those outside the UK). The grip and bar ended up being sanded at 45 degrees, and I believe that I got off lightly.

Now I take precautions and strap the bike to the jaws. Pretty much anything can be used, but I use these flexible straps.

View attachment 75167

They are called Gear Ties (this one is the mega twist 32") from Nite Ize. They are reusable and can be used many, many times. I got the orange colour so that I can see at a glance in the rear-view mirror whether I have fastened them on, or not.

just ordered some thanks even just for piece of mind .

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Oneup racks are the gold standard and my recommendation. No frame contact, easy on and off, super strong and replacement parts are available.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles