Which roof rack for emtb?

Ethan Rotherforth

Jan 25, 2022
Halifax
Yakima High Road. Had this for over a year and done thousands of miles with the EMTB on it. It’s a great bit of kit, really easy to use too.

I also have various Thule roof carriers and this makes them seem like plastic toys, and is way easier to get the bike into place on.

It holds the bike rock solid, and most importantly the connection of the carrier to the roof bars is substantial, and spreads the load really well.

View attachment 72165

View attachment 72166
hi mate, do you use a waterproof cover or anything for the where the battery goes? If so what do you use?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
hi mate, do you use a waterproof cover or anything for the where the battery goes? If so what do you use?
I have a waterproof cover for the bottom battery mount that cover all the electrics

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Worked great (didn't fall off) thank you.

View attachment 73539

Pasho's solution still working great 5 months on. Two 5 hour round trips to Bike Park Wales, various eyebrow raising collisions with trees while driving in the Surrey Hills and the Levo is still with me. drive it like this 3-4 times a week

Even use it for the non ebike.

I have to twist the straps (so they are not flat like in the picture) to avoid any noise, otherwise I get this unholy buzzing noise. Was going to get a van but not sure if I can be bothered.

eisivictor

Jul 14, 2022
israel
i just came around this roof rack that can carry up to 25KG !!!

does someone hear about it or actually have some real experience with it?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
i just came around this roof rack that can carry up to 25KG !!!

does someone hear about it or actually have some real experience with it?

Interesting - I would worry that this bit would whistle like crazy in the wind though when you haven got a bike on it.

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 10.36.33.png

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 10.40.36.png

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Are there any better solutions out currently?

I'm looking for a roof rack to carry a Whyte e-160 and a Levo Alloy, unfortunately there is no tow bar available for my car (BMW M5) and sold my Defender a few weeks ago so my only options are buy a van which I have no room for or get a roof rack. Getting the bikes on shouldn't be too bad, the car is quite low and I have a little step ladder.

The Whyte with battery removed will be about 22kg and the Levo will be around 20kg.

The two options I've seen are the Yakima High Road which now says 20kg limit so the Whyte maybe too heavy for it or the Inno Tyre Hold 2 which has a max rating of 23kg so with the battery removed both of the bikes would be fine.

Is there any other options?

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
I ended up going for the Inno Tyre Hold 2. Seems stable. It’s a bit of a pain loading the bike as you have to lift it quite high to get it in the actual wheel holders, after a small pedal incident I think I’ve got it mastered.

4F8A351E-A39D-4069-A358-CF3CA5A60B6F.jpeg

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Still working well?

Got an e160s coming and looking at options..... This and the Pendle....
No, the bit that clips down to hold the rear tyre holder in place has become faulty. I’m awaiting a replacement. To be honest I think I broke it by trying to ram it down too hard. I’m tempted to try another rack, there is one called the Menabo Chrono that is specifically made for e-bikes, has a 25kg limit.

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
No, the bit that clips down to hold the rear tyre holder in place has become faulty. I’m awaiting a replacement. To be honest I think I broke it by trying to ram it down too hard. I’m tempted to try another rack, there is one called the Menabo Chrono that is specifically made for e-bikes, has a 25kg limit.
@samjlevy,

Any news here? Did you buy the rack?

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
@samjlevy,

Any news here? Did you buy the rack?
The replacement arrived but I broke and dislocated my wrist before I had chance to see if it worked correctly. Hopefully should be able to use it next month so should have an update then. I bought it from The Roof Box Company. I’m 90% sure the first one broke from user error and me trying to jam the catch down too hard.

I’ve not tried the Menabo one yet, but I believe someone on this forum has and it broke, I don’t think they were best pleased with it, if you do a search you should be able to find the thread.

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
Oke thanks, there is not much to be found about the Chrono. With the things I've found and people said, I'll be going with the Yakima.

My e bike is 1kg heavier than the 20kg limit Reading about the quality of the rack, there's probably a large margin and I take my chances.

Thanks for the reply!!

Matt van

Jun 1, 2023
Canberra ACT
You will want to get a ramp to be able to ride your bike up onto the roof rack as it is after a ride I'm sore enough so I can't lift it over a fence let alone onto a roof just my 2 cents

ianiention

May 22, 2022
Abbots Langley, UK
I went for the Yakima Highroad Black Roof Mounted Bike Rack (Tyre Holder), it's a very solid build and holds the bike (Trek rail 5) great. The only observation is that with a large bike with 29-inch wheels the back wheel is only just supported by the rack. Something to check if your bike is very long.

20221001_125431.jpg 20221001_125439.jpg 20221001_125456.jpg 20221001_125537.jpg

paal

Jun 26, 2022
Norway
I went for the Yakima Highroad Black Roof Mounted Bike Rack (Tyre Holder), it's a very solid build and holds the bike (Trek rail 5) great. The only observation is that with a large bike with 29-inch wheels the back wheel is only just supported by the rack. Something to check if your bike is very long.

View attachment 122794
Yeah, that seems to be the problem with most roof racks. (in addition to the obvious weight limits)

What's the wheelbase of your Rail?

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
Great, thanks for the feedback!

I got mine too and drove my Commencal Clash for 1300km , it was as steady as a rock and it didnt move at al ( I have a roof window, so I can see it continuously).

The build is really sturdy, I do have the additional T-fitting for my Thule roofrack which I use on the back of the rack, on the front I've used the original fitting (both work great). I think it can handle a e-bike easily.

Fitting it is most easy and intuitive.

I've mounted it next to a Thule 900 roof box

20230816_175906.jpg

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
Im just in this process. I have a Thule 531 which will take 20kg. And weighing my bike on the scales at work its 20kg without battery. And im guessing there is a wee bit of tolerance on the 20kg Thule weight limit.

Perryqhill

Jul 16, 2023
Doncaster, Uk
Just reading this thread. I've a Kona Remote which is about 24.5kg, battery is 3 to 3.5kg IIRC. I was going to order the Pendle but whilst I was quite happy with lifting the weight of the bike, I'm concerned about it being able to hold it whilst securing the through axle as I'd generally be by myself.

Just not sure what to look at. Tow bar is out of the question due to homologation. Van is also out of the question due to cost and space.

I have a company van that I occasionally can get the bike on if I'm working in the right areas, but there are some places I want to ride I cannot get it to. Hence any roof carrier might only be needed four or five times a year - but there just isn't another way around it.

Perryqhill

Jul 16, 2023
Doncaster, Uk
Probably gets easier with practice but I made some rubber topped wooden platforms to cover the mounts. I can then plonk the rack down on these, move it into the correct position, lift the front wheel to remove the front platform and bolt the rack, then do the same at the rear. Sounds like a faff but it makes loading the bike such light work that it's really worth it. The bike feels really stable throughout.

Interested in this. Have you any photos for an idea?

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
Im just in this process. I have a Thule 531 which will take 20kg. And weighing my bike on the scales at work its 20kg without battery. And im guessing there is a wee bit of tolerance on the 20kg Thule weight limit.
I would be fine with that, the rack is really sturdy. I have seen people here securing a band to the handlebars just for safety.

Rikshaw

Jul 5, 2023
Sussex
The answer is none!... putting e bikes on roof racks is a fool hardy idea..
True. If your not used to lifting over 15kg over your head your going to pull something. My ebike is 24kg plus the front seasucker mount would make it easily 26kg+ when lifting and attaching to the car

Perryqhill

Jul 16, 2023
Doncaster, Uk
True. If your not used to lifting over 15kg over your head your going to pull something. My ebike is 24kg plus the front seasucker mount would make it easily 26kg+ when lifting and attaching to the car

It'll be about 20 to 21 kg without battery and 20kg or less without front wheel and I've been doing a lot more than that for about 25 years so any damage is likely already caused and more than used to lifting weights. My normal fuss suss is 14.5kg, it's not that much more.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles