Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Screenshot_20201013_074047.jpg

"Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.."

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
Never been called a cheater. I don't need an excuse, but if it ever happens I'll respond: "I'm being treated for cancer," which happens to be true, just to make them feel guilty.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I got called a cheat the other day, it was only gentle ribbing/banter, but I replied with 'I know, it really is and it's ace'.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It seems to more and more the “oh yeah, eBikes are great but...” comments these days.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Met a good'ol friend I haven't seen for a while in an engagement party just last week (for our kid's generation, so we're the oldies in the corner). When the subject came to eMTBs, he expressed total displeasure to all that used them (he's a MTBiker himself). He was sociable enough when he talked about it knowing full well that I have one - so I guess that's me included.

Here's the thing.. he wasn't opposed to it because eBike riders were cheating or are cheaters. He was repulsed if not amused by the fact that people are willing to pay for the ludicrous prices they sell for!

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Met a good'ol friend I haven't seen for a while in an engagement party just last week (for our kid's generation, so we're the oldies in the corner). When the subject came to eMTBs, he expressed total displeasure to all that used them (he's a MTBiker himself). He was sociable enough when he talked about it knowing full well that I have one - so I guess that's me included.

Here's the thing.. he wasn't opposed to it because eBike riders were cheating or are cheaters. He was repulsed if not amused by the fact that people are willing to pay for the ludicrous prices they sell for!

Sounds like a bit of a tit. What does he spend HIS money on?

Last edited:

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I ride on my own and very really see other mtb riders, I did however come across a gaggle last Sunday and tagged on to the rear group as there lead guy held a gate open, immediately after the gate was a climb, I proceeded to do the whole climb with the motor off through guilt for holding the gate open for someone that wasn't with them.

Fuck me that was hard work as each individual behind proceeded to over take me :oops: Not one of the pricks said fair play mate for having the motor turned off on a 24kg bike !!! I should of grown a pair and stuck it in turbo (y)

On the plus side I actually got to the top with one of there bunch behind me:unsure:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Who would dare to call big, bad, b1rdie that???
None yet, and I am sixtie.

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Bad hearing has its benefits.People say things to me as i go past and i just laugh and smile. No idea whether it was nice or nasty :)

Did get blanked by 2 normal mtb'ers last weekend though. Saw them in the distance pushing up a hill. Gained on them, then took an alternative track and cycled up most of the way other than a bit near the top just too steep to get over. Saw them watching as i was going up.

Stopped for a drink at the top,they eventually got up top,looked at me then turned away and stood with their backs to me. No acknowledgment or hello etc.

I wasnt trying to show off or overtake them, but short of stopping at the bottom and giving them 5 minutes to get up first, what are you supposed to do?

Oh well.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Sounds like a bit of a tit. What does he spend HIS money on?
Obviously not on eBikes! :giggle:

Nah, he's a close mate and we have tremendous respect for each other. It was 'tongue and cheek' party conversation... he was baiting me because he knows I had connections in the bike industry and have inside knowledge about how much these bikes cost to produce.

Yes, we can do whatever we please with our own money without having to justify it to anyone. But I have to say, I couldn't find a humorous come-back to stick him with, to milk a few more laughs. Not easy to cobble-up a counterpoint when my eBike cost practically the same as this, locally...

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 7.30.20 AM.png

Anyway... life is short, my health continues to diminish each year, and my cycling days are numbered...and my eMTB is what's most effective in enhancing my well being at this point in my life. I'm just grateful that I happen to be able to afford it... and try to remind myself not to make fun of people who can't... even if they call me a 'cheat.' :)

As to why high-end FS MTBs (motorised or not), are retailing for what they are... is a different well entrenched story for someone else to tackle.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Bad hearing has its benefits.People say things to me as i go past and i just laugh and smile. No idea whether it was nice or nasty :)

Did get blanked by 2 normal mtb'ers last weekend though. Saw them in the distance pushing up a hill. Gained on them, then took an alternative track and cycled up most of the way other than a bit near the top just too steep to get over. Saw them watching as i was going up.

Stopped for a drink at the top,they eventually got up top,looked at me then turned away and stood with their backs to me. No acknowledgment or hello etc.

I wasnt trying to show off or overtake them, but short of stopping at the bottom and giving them 5 minutes to get up first, what are you supposed to do?

Oh well.
Wow. I can't believe this attitude! I wish people like this would realise, it's all about fun!

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Obviously not on eBikes! :giggle:

Nah, he's a close mate and we have tremendous respect for each other. It was 'tongue and cheek' party conversation... he was baiting me because he knows I had connections in the bike industry and have inside knowledge about how much these bikes cost to produce.

Yes, we can do whatever we please with our own money without having to justify it to anyone. But I have to say, I couldn't find a humorous come-back to stick him with, to milk a few more laughs. Not easy to cobble-up a counterpoint when my eBike cost practically the same as this, locally...

View attachment 42097

Anyway... life is short, my health continues to diminish each year, and my cycling days are numbered...and my eMTB is what's most effective in enhancing my well being at this point in my life. I'm just grateful that I happen to be able to afford it... and try to remind myself not to make fun of people who can't... even if they call me a 'cheat.' :)

As to why high-end FS MTBs (motorised or not), are retailing for what they are... is a different well entrenched story for someone else to tackle.
Yes they are expensive, overpriced perhaps, but why not spend money on something you enjoy, makes you happy, and is fun? We are all on this earth just the once, after all

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I have experienced the shouting of cheater 3 times the last few weeks.
Normally I don't care and simply act as if I haven't heard it.
But this is to much and somehow it's beginning to bugger me...

I'm normally a nice old person at 54 - but this sunday I found myself shouting IDIOT at the poor women shouting cheater at me.

I used to be nice to standard MTB riders - and often offer to loan my bike for their test ride.
I am still trying to be an eMTB ambassador - and maybe this is just a thing for us "first mowers" to endure.

A good sign is that I have found that really engaged standard MTB riders are curious about the eMTB scene.
And the shouting is almost always from less experienced riders or even hikers in the woods.

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand

I'm normally a nice old person at 54 - but this sunday I found myself shouting IDIOT at the poor women shouting cheater at me.

I used to be nice to standard MTB riders - and often offer to loan my bike for their test ride.
I am still trying to be an eMTB ambassador - and maybe this is just a thing for us "first mowers" to endure.

I good sign I have found is that really engaged standard MTB riders are curious about the eMTB scene.
And the shouting is almost always from less experienced riders or even hikers in the woods.
At 54 I'm sure you still remember (like I do) what it was like when the first front forks and rear shocks came out? Horrible short-travel pogo sticks they were, but nevertheless the purists were still getting triggered back then, weren't they? ?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

I good sign I have found is that really engaged standard MTB riders are curious about the eMTB scene.

Ummm....you do realise she was shouting " cheater? " not " cheater" ? Ahhh, I see... beginning to ( sic) bugger you ? Swipe left.

Last edited:

Akemtb

Mar 1, 2019
Anchorage Alaska
I usually get positive comments, perhaps because at 65 I'm a little long in the tooth.
My usually comment is, "rode them acoustic bikes over 30 years, this beast triples the fun factor and it's easy on my old knees".
When approaching riders on assent I just hang back tell they see me, and they usually hear me coming on like a fright train. I hag back tell there's room then smoke on with a big THANKS!
Mostly acoustic bikers (I call them analogies) drool over the ebike.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
So here’s the trend in my neighbourhood in the past year. A group of us live at the base of a mountain with 70+ trails for hiking and biking. When I got my FS Emtb, last November 2019, I was called a “cheat” a few times. I didn’t have time to justify using one cause I was having to much fun.
6 months later I bought two more(his&hers ehard tails). Then my neighbour got a FS Emtb. Then my son-in-law got a FS emtb. Now three other neighbours are buying emtb. At this rate there could be charging station’s on the mountain. There might be an EMTB gang soon(4 of us so far who are hard-core).
My neighbor who is KOM on his YT acoustic just broke that record on his EMTB by 4sec. (1:12). He’s crazy fast. I can keep up to him going up but not dh.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
So here’s the trend in my neighbourhood in the past year. A group of us live at the base of a mountain with 70+ trails for hiking and biking. When I got my FS Emtb, last November 2019, I was called a “cheat” a few times. I didn’t have time to justify using one cause I was having to much fun.
6 months later I bought two more(his&hers ehard tails). Then my neighbour got a FS Emtb. Then my son-in-law got a FS emtb. Now three other neighbours are buying emtb. At this rate there could be charging station’s on the mountain. There might be an EMTB gang soon(4 of us so far who are hard-core).
Haha, my wife has a similar outlook although much more subversive (we're both eBikers). I stopped at an intersection one morning (we're in my car) and a cyclist came into view slightly obscured by some bushes. In a nonchalant tone she moved her head to get a better view and said, "Ooh a cyclist... I wonder if it's an eBike... oh, it's not... pffft... another die-hard," then she casually looked the other way. I just had to laugh in disbelief and said, so when did you become a bike snob?! That's a pretty smug comment coming from a lady who still can't figure out which lever goes up or down the gearing! ?

I'm afraid she's become a cycling bipartisan... either friend or foe! Anybody we meet along the trails that has an eBike is automatically her friend and she'll likely stop and have chat with given half a chance. As for the 'other ones'... well, they better watch out... :giggle:

Reminds me of the time when I was driving and she didn't approve of what another motorist did, and so she reached over and honked the car horn. I (of course) got the brunt of the dirty looks... but that's another story (or is it the same one)?? :unsure:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Haha, my wife has a similar outlook although much more subversive (we're both eBikers). I stopped at an intersection one morning (we're in my car) and a cyclist came into view slightly obscured by some bushes. In a nonchalant tone she moved her head to get a better view and said, "Ooh a cyclist... I wonder if it's an eBike... oh, it's not... pffft... another die-hard," then she casually looked the other way. I just had to laugh in disbelief and said, so when did you become a bike snob?! That's a pretty smug comment coming from a lady who still can't figure out which lever goes up or down the gearing! ?

I'm afraid she's become a cycling bipartisan...

Hahaha, I just realize my wife is the same. She doesn’t take on the same tech trails as me but can she pick out another emtb’er. And makes friends with them really fast. (C’mon dear let’s go). We ride our eHardtails together twice a week, 50km each time. We wound never do that on our gravel bikes on flat terrain. We’re both grandparents with some medical issues, but hell do we feel young again. Now that I’m healing for a few weeks some of the punks can keep up to me?.
im liking this cheating thing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles