Anyone else get called a cheat??

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I bought an e-mtb for a few reasons - to get out on my bike again after a long period of absence (and corresponding loss of fitness), to be able to keep up with my husband, to go further and faster and to love mountain biking again! Twice in one day last week I was accused of being a cheat when people realised I was riding an emtb. I tried to explain why I ride electric but just got the “nah nah nah, it’s just cheating!”response. Anyone else get this? How do you respond?

After 8 weeks of ownership and over 300 miles completed I was at Sherwood Pines at the weekend and whilst riding past a family of 4, one of the younger children, possibly 8 or 9, chanted 'Cheat, cheat cheat' as i rode past uphill. I heard his mum telling him to 'shush' seconds later but that was my first experience of it and it did just slightly take the edge of the enjoyment I was getting in that moment as I processed what just happened.

Electric bikes make it easier to cover ground however as you know theres so much more to it than that. I found that as my enjoyment levels are up ive covered more miles in 8 weeks on my emtb than I've done on my (very) old mtb in 18 months, no 24 months!

This whole cheat thing, is a puzzler to me. Im not in a race with anyone, Im not competing against that 9 year old, who I thought was pretty rude and disrespectful tbh. So who am I cheating exactly? cant be myself because I've never covered this many miles in 8 weeks before on a bike and neither have I felt so compelled to get on a bike like I have since getting my emtb.

I guess it something to get used to. :unsure:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If only you could buy a motor to help find a your sense of humour. ;)

I'd have been pissing myself laughing at a 9 yr old chanting "cheat" at any Ebiker. Myself included.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Is it just me, when i climb and i see a group in front of me, i just pedal lighter just not to be to loud with my shimano motor. they just stare at you. Some find it a no go.

I do this too in a bid not reveal my power source. Bit daft really. Im just being a bit self conscious I suppose.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
It's particularly amusing when a group of youths shout it at you from the back of the pickup truck at Bike Park Wales like happened to me. I honestly do think they did not see the irony. The thing I get most often is "give us a tow". I ride for fun. It stops being fun when you a) are wheezing for breath, b) sweating like a pig c) aching in every joint and muscle and d) perhaps most importantly not riding but walking and pushing.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Everything is relative.
If someone overtook me on one of these I might be inclined to think the same thing ?

0ECC3AC2-90AB-488B-B959-0B4B013F6E4B.jpeg

this may even happen sooner than we think.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
If only you could buy a motor to help find a your sense of humour. ;)

I'd have been pissing myself laughing at a 9 yr old chanting "cheat" at any Ebiker. Myself included.

Tbh i was smiling to myself as I went past but it still made me think as id not had anyone comment like that before.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Everything is relative.
If someone overtook me on one of these I might be inclined to think the same thing ?

View attachment 41988

this may even happen sooner than we think.

A few weeks back a guy overtook me in the city on the road on an electric longboard. He mustv'e been doing 25mph. Dressed in all black in a long coat and stood leaning into the wind, hands clasped behind his back like a Scottish Neo from the Matrix. Coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Only because I can't see myself. Obviously ;)

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Tbh i was smiling to myself as I went past but it still made me think as id not had anyone comment like that before.
Learn the lyrics and then next time you can join in...

This comes up on here so often we really should start a self help/support group.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
A few weeks back a guy overtook me in the city on the road on an electric longboard. He mustv'e been doing 25mph. Dressed in all black in a long coat and stood leaning into the wind, hands clasped behind his back like a Scottish Neo from the Matrix. Coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Only because I can't see myself. Obviously ;)

Have you not found a mirror big enough to fit your whole head in yet then... :p

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you are affected by someone shouting cheat it says more about you than them. You made the decision to go electric so revel in it.....go even faster past them!!(safely of course!!)

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Some variations:

"At what?" (Being as how I'm an Electric Mountain Biker doing some, er, electric mountain biking).

"Yeah and you're walking."

"Sorry, did I ask for your opinion?"

"Shove it, limpy."

"Want a tow?"

"Not my fault you can't afford one."

Or just whack it into "Boost" and pelt up the slope going "Mwaaahaaahaaahaaaaaa..."

?

Last edited:

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
I just say, "...but I never turn it on, so its ok.."""

Really, i don't give a shit. There are those who ride ebikes and "get-it", and there's everyone else who just hasn't.

Fuck em!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
CA meeting: (cheaters anonymous)

Good evening everyone, my name is GP-Brogues and I’ve been a cycling cheat for about a year now. The seeds of my addiction to PEE (pedal electric enduro) were planted early on when my wife bought me an electric toothbrush and things went downhill (excuse the pun) from there. As I stood there in front of the bathroom mirror holding my eBrush dead-still without even as much as a wee wiggle, shame and guilt washed over me such that I couldn’t look at myself in the eye. What made things worse is I caught a glimpse of my 9 year old son walk past the door and whispered in contempt, “cheat!” The trauma only served to heighten my lust for more ‘flat battery anxiety’ that I transformed my entire workshop and garden shed existence into a sickening chordless-tool environment! I couldn’t stop myself. I shiver with excitement and anticipation very time I use my eLawnmower not knowing if the battery would last or run out before I finish my lawn completely. My workbench is littered with projects with half drilled holes because I keep forgetting to charge my eDrill the night before. So here I stand in front of you confessing that I too am an EEB user... a guilty cheat yes, because I can be a$$ed to do all my chores manually. That’s all the self-loathing I’m prepared to share with you tonight. Thank you for listening and for the judgement-free acceptance I sense in this place... it’s toxic out there... :cry:

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
99.99% of people who would say cheat have never even ridden an emtb. Secondly, the very few times it was said...I kind of laughed as I went past them with ease. They get a nice view of what they can kiss.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I just say, "...but I never turn it on, so its ok.."""

Really, i don't give a shit. There are those who ride ebikes and "get-it", and there's everyone else who just hasn't.

Fuck em!

Exactly. A few weeks ago I pulled up for a social ride with a few other people, one guy saw my ebike and said "take your battery out". I said "what" and he repeated it. I said "go fuck yourself". He said "I'm not riding with someone with a motor". I said "well fuck off then and go and ride on your own".

Ironically, his knees are trashed, his hips are trashed but he continues to destroy his body on his non ebike through shear stubbornness.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Exactly. A few weeks ago I pulled up for a social ride with a few other people, one guy saw my ebike and said "take your battery out". I said "what" and he repeated it. I said "go fuck yourself". He said "I'm not riding with someone with a motor". I said "well fuck off then and go and ride on your own".

Ironically, his knees are trashed, his hips are trashed but he continues to destroy his body on his non ebike through shear stubbornness.
Hard to believe the arrogance of some people, what did it matter to him or anyone if you have an eeb?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

All those fucks and a strange negotiation about electrical enhanced experiences in a group riding situation. It's hard to know if it's a cycling or swinging group .

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Seeing as you mentioned irony, the same guy probably huffed and puffed back to his car and bleeped it open with this remote (because turning an actual key would be too hard), then opened his electric car windows (because rolling a hand crank takes too long and takes too much effort especially if he had to get out and open the passenger doors to open and close the back windows), then finally gets home and presses the button on his automatic garage door opener (because he might strain his arms and back if he had to lift it himself)! ?

Tis a very thin line between irony and hypocrisy...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles