2022 Scor 4060 Z Owners Thread

Natt-E Tread

Apr 5, 2022
Tucson
Adding a thread here as one does not yet exist and I've got some things to share and questions to ask of other owners.

Natt-E Tread

Apr 5, 2022
Tucson
I purchased a 2022 Scor 4060 Z LT SLX in mid January 2022. It's size medium. Stock build. 450 miles on it as of writing. My first E-MTB. My riding area is Tucson, AZ. Use it mainly on bigger mountain, chunky, hiking type trails.

• Love the price point. Nearly $2000 less than the competition
  • Love the battery range of the 720wh.
  • Love the slack Head Tube Angle
  • Not sold on the rear suspension design. I've run it between 28-30% sag as directed. Seems to lose traction under braking force too easily. Though I ride a DW Link normally.
  • Seat tube angle is steep. The seated reach feels a tad short for a medium. ( I ride a medium Pivot Switchblade and Santa Cruz Highball)
  • You cannot insert Manic Dropper all the way into seat tube. It's about 1.5 inches above the collar. If you insert all the way it kinks the cable housing. I really like super short seat tubes to feel in the bike with the dropper slammed. This dropper post minimum height coupled with the steep seat tube angle makes the bike feel a bit taller than I'd like during descending. I may switch to a dropper with better clearance
  • SLX Drive train is solid
  • Deore Brakes lack bite of SLX/XT and running full sintered on rear 203mm rotor is not possible due to howling and vibration. Moved to an after market semi metallic that only squeals on extended descents
  • Zeb Select Chassis is amazing. Charger Damper is challenged by super rocky square edges like we have here in tucson
  • Super Deluxe R rear is quite plush but as it has no compression is pretty basic and seems to not offset at least what I've not been able to tune out in the rear end inefficiency.

I'm having fun riding the bike but riding a 50lb, long travel, EMTB is a different game than riding a all mountain pedal bike. I find the bike to be a bit of a lug to maneuver on technical descents with tight switchbacks. I don't have the confidence yet to put this bike everywhere I would my pedal bike. That said on more purpose built or party/flowy trails it's a blast.

I've had a number of challenges around quality on both the bike and the parts spec'd on it. I'll elaborate in a subsequent post.
20220131_135029.jpg

Last edited:

Natt-E Tread

Apr 5, 2022
Tucson
Chainstay Clearance/Chainring Bolt Rub/EP8 Crank Spring loaded Play issue:

After about 450 miles the chain ring bolts are rubbing on the chain stay when the cranks are laterally loaded. It seems the very tight clearance between the crank spider and the frame do not tolerate the spring loaded lateral play in the EP8 Motor system. From what I've read this play is normal for the system. Though it must have increased moderately because the conflict did not exist prior to this week. I did not bend my chain ring. As you can see from the photos, the distance between the stay and the chain ring spider is a few millimeters. Beyond the fact that this space seems too tight given the chain ring spec; there is not metal or rubber insert in the area of conflic to prevent rub/scratching on the carbon chain stay. I put some frame tape in this area but it was quickly eaten through. I'm concerned continued rubbing/scratching will eat at the chain stay to the extent of compromising the carbon. I've let both my dealer and Scor know as of 24 hours ago. For now I'm trying to drum up some slightly shorter chain ring bolts to reduce or eliminate the scratching. The stock bolts are T30 head M8x8.5. I'm going to put in some steel 5mm hex head M8x7mm bolts. On a separate thread this issue was discussed and it seems some Scor 4060 Owners were complaining of this in Italy. My guess is that they spec'd the same rear triangle on the EMTB as their Acoustic MTB and it didn't factor in the spring loaded play in the EP8. Photos 1) chainring bolt clearance without lateral leverage on the crank 2) chainring bolt clearance with lateral leverage on the crank 3) Wear area on the chainstay from the chain ring bolts.

Will keep you guys posted on the outcome with the the bike shop and Scor. Also, will let you know which bolts end up working for the short term fix.

Chain Ring bolt clearance without lateral leverage .jpg Chain ring bolt clearance with lateral leverage.jpg Chain Stay Wear Photo 3.jpg

Last edited:

Natt-E Tread

Apr 5, 2022
Tucson
Chainstay Clearance/Chainring Bolt Rub/EP8 Crank Spring loaded Play issue:

Will keep you guys posted on the outcome with the the bike shop and Scor. Also, will let you know which bolts end up working for the short term fix.

Update from the Bike Shop and BMC/Scor. The Chainstay rub issue is known and "cosmetic" the fix is spacer for the crank as I understand it that will put the crank slightly outboard of it's current position. They will also install a chainstay protector. Once the parts get in the bike shop will install at no cost to me courtesy of the BMC/Scor Warranty issue.

Meantime, I swapped out my current bolts which were 8.5mm thread length for 6mm thread length, steel, single chain ring bolts made by MCS. Got them on Dan's Comp for $5.99. I torqued them to 10nm as I had issues shearing some bike co-op steel bolts of similar length. I tried to install at 12+nm. It might have been me over torque-ing with my giant automotive style torque wrench, but I had two different bolts shear the heads right off. Put a little grease on the MCS bolt threads and back side of the bolt head and torqued to 10nm. Haven't had any issues loosening. Been checking after each ride. Obviously, you do you, at your own risk. Good news is that the 6mm bolts clear the chain stay. Have to be honest that if I left the OEM bolts in there and kept e-mtb-ing away, I believe the issue would have been more than "cosmetic"

Last edited:

Natt-E Tread

Apr 5, 2022
Tucson
Battery Lock issue:
The Darfon 720wh Battery fell out on me about two weeks into owning the bike. My bike was purchased mid Jan 2022 and was part of the first run of these bikes to shop. 5-6 rides in, getting the bike back to my house, I had noticed that the battery started slipping near the top part of the frame with the lock interface which is turned over with an allen key. I just kept pushing it back in and locking it down and the lock mechanism became sticky/creaky/less effective.

I SHOULD have taped it up or tied it up with as soon as this started happening. At the same time also had messages into Scor customer service about proper removal and installation of the battery. They were slow to get back to me and also had no good tutorials on the battery mechanism on their website in Feb 2022. They did send me a video of the battery lock action. There is a catch mechanism once the battery becomes unlocked and drops down out of the frame. However, it's not something that will keep it in place on bumpy trail descending.

My battery fell out on a trail ride. I was super lucky that none of the connector ends were damaged only some scratches and small dents on the alloy battery chassis not affecting the functioning of the battery. Obviously, after this incident, i secured the battery with both a piece of tube and some electrical tape. Also, flipped the bike pushed down on the battery to get it to click into the lock mechanism before taping/tubing it up.

My shop/BMC/Scor stated this is an issue with Darfon the battery maker as they are in control of the lock mechanism. There is no ETA on the fix and my understanding is that this issue may also be happening with the new Santa Cruz Hecklers. My suggestion is if you have either of these bikes with the flimsy plastic, spring loaded lock teeth actuated by an allen key on your bike to take a tube and tie it around the upper section of frame and battery or wrap electrical tape (no residue). Darfon is a newer player to the EMTB market. While it seems they've created a nice longer range battery with a quick charger they didn't put enough thought into the lock design. Though, Pivot uses the same battery and put a bolt on cover over it which avoids any issue.

Last edited:

Natt-E Tread

Apr 5, 2022
Tucson
Rear wheel Hub Knock/Play issue:
Less than 10 rides into owning the bike the rear hub developed play. Removed and re-tightened the thru axle, to proper torque, to see if that was the issue. No change. Removed the wheel and loosened the hub end caps on drive, non drive side and lock nut then re-tightened so the bearings flowed smooth and that did not work to remove play. It took me a fair bit of research to find out the producer of the XDH 130 wheel set. Nothing comes up online. Thought it was Novatec based on the naming convention. Messaged Novatec and they said it wasn't them. Once I got the free hub off, I could see it had a "Xero" drive side bearing. This gave it away that it was a Formula Hub/whee lset. My best guess is that it's a DHT 1481 hub based on it's appearance and other web forum reports. It seems to be the exact same hub that Specialized uses on their entry level Roval Traverse EMTB wheel set. The rear hubs are known for developing play and knocking . What was interesting is the drive side bearing felt rough when I spun it, with my finger, still in the shell with the free hub body off.

The bike shop suggested replacing the bearing to see if that would fix the issue. Had an Enduro Bearing installed. The mechanic commented that the stock bearing once removed spun smoothly. This suggests it may have been not seated properly or poor sizing. Having the Enduro bearing pressed in seems to have fixed the play issue. My assumption is that the OEM bearing was either poorly installed, hence the roughness, and it didn't allow proper tolerance with the axle or the new bearing is better quality/size and is a tighter interface for the axle.

I will give credit that the 32 spoke build and rim have been reasonably tough up against the extremely rocking terrain here in Southern AZ.

Last edited:

Natt-E Tread

Apr 5, 2022
Tucson
Yeah, I thought about the size large, but the seat tube length is way too tall for my inseam let alone the reach. A thought I had was to move to a slightly longer stem like a 40mm or 45mm as the stock is 35mm. Scor says on their site you should size up rather than lengthen the stem but if you are in between sizes then I can't see the harm. 5 to 10mm is pretty minimal.

My assumption is that most of my issues on my bike will not exist on yours as you'll have higher end wheels and they should have fixed the battery and chain ring spacing issue on future runs of the bike.

I'd be curious to hear what you think the about the chain stay length and rear suspension design as it pertains to traction with your higher end Fox Factory Rear Shock. Will a rear shock with compression features resolve this or do the geometry and kinematics override any suspension tuning benefits?

Interesting posts. Thx a lot @Natt-E Tread
I have a reservation on a LT XT build. M is pretty short, but L way too long. For longer riding M feels more comfortable and to play on the trails it's better too. So I went that way..

Last edited:

Natt-E Tread

Apr 5, 2022
Tucson
Update: Scor/BMC Sales and customer service have been working with me to get the battery mount and chain stay rub issues corrected. They sent parts to my local BMC dealer to install a new battery mount which will elminate the battery locking malfunction issue. They have also sent some sort of a "kit" that is supposed to reduced chain stay and rear triangle rub from the chain, chainring, and chainring bolts. Will update once the repairs are complete.

Natt-E Tread

Apr 5, 2022
Tucson
As of mid June 2022 Scor/BMC sent the parts for the new battery mount and chain line spacer with chain stay protection kit. They sent it to a local BMC dealer which they paid to have these installations done. The new battery mount seems to hold the battery fine and the chain and chain ring bolts are no longer rubbing the frame. In my opinion the process took far too long but ultimately Scor/BMC did resolve the issue. As a bonus, they sent me a new battery with the battery mount. So I now have two 720WH batteries which is cool for longer trips.

Heckler Sb130

Aug 15, 2022
Gothed75
Battery Lock issue:
The Darfon 720wh Battery fell out on me about two weeks into owning the bike. My bike was purchased mid Jan 2022 and was part of the first run of these bikes to shop. 5-6 rides in, getting the bike back to my house, I had noticed that the battery started slipping near the top part of the frame with the lock interface which is turned over with an allen key. I just kept pushing it back in and locking it down and the lock mechanism became sticky/creaky/less effective.

I SHOULD have taped it up or tied it up with as soon as this started happening. At the same time also had messages into Scor customer service about proper removal and installation of the battery. They were slow to get back to me and also had no good tutorials on the battery mechanism on their website in Feb 2022. They did send me a video of the battery lock action. There is a catch mechanism once the battery becomes unlocked and drops down out of the frame. However, it's not something that will keep it in place on bumpy trail descending.

My battery fell out on a trail ride. I was super lucky that none of the connector ends were damaged only some scratches and small dents on the alloy battery chassis not affecting the functioning of the battery. Obviously, after this incident, i secured the battery with both a piece of tube and some electrical tape. Also, flipped the bike pushed down on the battery to get it to click into the lock mechanism before taping/tubing it up.

My shop/BMC/Scor stated this is an issue with Darfon the battery maker as they are in control of the lock mechanism. There is no ETA on the fix and my understanding is that this issue may also be happening with the new Santa Cruz Hecklers. My suggestion is if you have either of these bikes with the flimsy plastic, spring loaded lock teeth actuated by an allen key on your bike to take a tube and tie it around the upper section of frame and battery or wrap electrical tape (no residue). Darfon is a newer player to the EMTB market. While it seems they've created a nice longer range battery with a quick charger they didn't put enough thought into the lock design. Though, Pivot uses the same battery and put a bolt on cover over it which avoids any issue.

Did you get the battery replaced? If so do you have the original one and want to sell it?

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
Bought a 4060 Z ST as I got a hot deal. 7k for the XT Model. Could've had a Bullit 29er S Kit for 8.3k, but with those cheap parts on the SC the scor is a steal..
Obviously they got rid of the well known Problems. Battery sits tight, no gap, chain can't rub the frame anymore - there's a tiny piece that looks like its some sort of metal/Aluminium.
I tested sizes M and L (I'm ~1.78m/5ft10) and went for the longer frame. Still handles pretty nimble and stays calm at higher speeds. Not as capable as a Kenevo or so but Way more versatile and fun..
So far, I'm happy with it. Feels lighter than it is..
PXL_20221027_114307773.jpg

no-h2o

Apr 25, 2023
Alberta, CAN
Bought a 4060 Z ST as I got a hot deal. 7k for the XT Model. Could've had a Bullit 29er S Kit for 8.3k, but with those cheap parts on the SC the scor is a steal..
Obviously they got rid of the well known Problems. Battery sits tight, no gap, chain can't rub the frame anymore - there's a tiny piece that looks like its some sort of metal/Aluminium.
I tested sizes M and L (I'm ~1.78m/5ft10) and went for the longer frame. Still handles pretty nimble and stays calm at higher speeds. Not as capable as a Kenevo or so but Way more versatile and fun..
So far, I'm happy with it. Feels lighter than it is.. View attachment 100243
Great looking rig! I am considering one of these; the purple LT XT version. Currently on a Bosch equipped Cube Stereo Hybrid 160R, which has been bullet proof, and have zero experience with Shimano EP8. Have you had any issues with the powertrain / drivetrain at all? Any issues with the frame or suspension at all?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles