Nukeproof Megawatt Owners Thread

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
I don't think the headsets are being installed correctly during assembly. Check out manufactures website:

Cheers but got rid well more less gave it away 😂

GREENOUGH

Jan 31, 2022
North Wales
I've got XL elite . Absolutely spot on ride can't really fault it. Up to 150mile in last 3 weeks

IMG_20220120_194747.jpg

milfredo

Jan 12, 2022
Hertfordshire
I just got my bike yesterday and am yet to ride it. I was going to bung the holes with Sugru (this stuff is amazing) and make my own seals. It can be removed easily if cables need changing but it would be semi permanent. I use it all over the house for jobs like this.

I've ordered one as well, let's see how well it is made. Ouch on the shipping, it more than doubled the cost. Brexit -> yay
Can confirm, Sugru works extremely well unless. Has held up well though some serious abuse. No more holes for goop and water.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
This might be helpful to other owners:

I received and email from Evri(Hermes) with a parcel due from wiggle to my parents house :unsure:. I panicked thinking someone hacked my account because I'd placed no orders recently, doubly strange it would go to my parents place. Checked all my cards, pay pal, changed passwords etc.

I had a in cling it could be some about my Megawatt (Originally shipped by CRC to my folks place as I was away). Turns out the assumption was correct. Apparently cables have been chafing the steer-tubes on early bikes and they have released a fix for it.

I wished they had emailed, me rather than just send a parcel blindly (and not to my address). Doesn't look like a permanent fix (ie it'll chafe through that shim), but I don't have it in front of me so at least they put out a fix such is life. Comments also suggest Vitus have the same headset and therefore the same problem.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-14 at 2.16.14 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-14 at 2.16.41 PM.jpeg

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
Yeah i received an email the other day too. I wish they had never used cables through the stem- such a bad idea.

on another note my bike had been rattling worse than bucket full of nuts. Then suddenly I started losing power in the motor. The whole upper battery mount just fell out as it had rattled loose as had one of the clips. Hadn’t been loctited at all. Luckily I didn’t lose the bolts but one took me about an hour to get out. Fixed now but haven’t had the bike that long. Also the cover on the battery port just doesn’t close at all. Love how the bike rides but the construction feels quite rudimentary at times

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Yeah i received an email the other day too. I wish they had never used cables through the stem- such a bad idea.

on another note my bike had been rattling worse than bucket full of nuts. Then suddenly I started losing power in the motor. The whole upper battery mount just fell out as it had rattled loose as had one of the clips. Hadn’t been loctited at all. Luckily I didn’t lose the bolts but one took me about an hour to get out. Fixed now but haven’t had the bike that long. Also the cover on the battery port just doesn’t close at all. Love how the bike rides but the construction feels quite rudimentary at times
I've got to be honest, the Megawatt and the Vitus were both on my list at one time and I just did not like the idea of cables through the headset, at all. I'm not knocking the Nukey, lovely bike but it was a bit of a deal breaker for me, plus for me to get the same standard of equipment/component/brakes I'd have had to go for the Elite, which was £300 more than the Marin, so in the end that clinched it, also I couldn't find an elite anywhere without a huge wait . Shame in a way as I've always loved the Nukeys.

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
Similar problem with battery security after the release mechanism was replaced by the dealer. It was so loose that the spring catch was nowhere near engaging. Turn the release mechanism and catch the battery. No problem, just realigned and all sorted.

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
Bit of an update with my Megawatt. I kept having issues with the motor cutting out and contacted Shimano Norway who I have been in contact with with some earlier bikes. They found out why my bike sounded like a filing cabinet full of bolts on the downhills. The factory had forgotten a bolt on top of the motor which just rattled constantly and did my head in.

Shimano replaced the motor and battery mount but also let me know that the battery mount had been installed incorrectly at the factory with can cause damage to the batteries. I got two weeks of riding in before the bike just started turning off and I couldn’t turn it on. Got in touch with the Shimano tech who said that the battery was damaged due to the incorrect installation by Nukeproof and as such this was a warranty issue for Nukeproof. Contacted the dealer who forwarded it on to Nukeproof. That was almost two weeks ago and haven’t heard a word. This is my commuter bike too so not very happy about having to spend heaps of money on public transport and not too impressed by the after sales service. Probably had a good 6 weeks of
Missed riding time due to all the issues.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Does any one know what ratchet is in the megawatt factory rear hub (DT Swiss H1700 SPLINE 30, 27.5", 6 Bolt, Shimano Microspline Driver, 148x12mm)?

For a while I was wondering what felt off with my bike then I realised the engagement is to slow for me. Kind of throws me off balance like the chains dropped or I over stroke into a pedal strike. I'm used to Hopes 44T (which was the first upgraded on my old bike over the stock sloppy hub)

Does it have the stock 18T atm? I see DT do a 54T engagement but also a 36T. I'm pondering if 54T might not be such a good idea for both longevity/over engagement. Not sure I could live with 36T if I was used to 44T. I don't really want to be chasing this with money (I assume testing them means no refunds).

Cramman

Oct 22, 2022
South Shields
Looking at a megawatt myself. Found a good deal on a XXL bike but wondering if anyone can give me some thoughts on sizing.

I'm 6'2", 35" legs. The fitting suggests XL goes up to 6'4" but many comments say it doesn't feel as big as the guide suggests.

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
Looking at a megawatt myself. Found a good deal on a XXL bike but wondering if anyone can give me some thoughts on sizing.

I'm 6'2", 35" legs. The fitting suggests XL goes up to 6'4" but many comments say it doesn't feel as big as the guide suggests.
You need to try it for fit .
I'm a short arse at 5'8" and ride a Medium Megawatt & a Large Marin. My son is 6' 1" and rides a Large Marin & has borrowed my Medium Scott (long term loan). So many variables, so many nice bikes.

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway

I am 6 foot on an xl and feels good to me. That said I have been off the bike now for two months because Nukeproof’s warranty follow up has been atrocious.

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
Bit of an update with my Megawatt. I kept having issues with the motor cutting out and contacted Shimano Norway who I have been in contact with with some earlier bikes. They found out why my bike sounded like a filing cabinet full of bolts on the downhills. The factory had forgotten a bolt on top of the motor which just rattled constantly and did my head in.

Shimano replaced the motor and battery mount but also let me know that the battery mount had been installed incorrectly at the factory with can cause damage to the batteries. I got two weeks of riding in before the bike just started turning off and I couldn’t turn it on. Got in touch with the Shimano tech who said that the battery was damaged due to the incorrect installation by Nukeproof and as such this was a warranty issue for Nukeproof. Contacted the dealer who forwarded it on to Nukeproof. That was almost two weeks ago and haven’t heard a word. This is my commuter bike too so not very happy about having to spend heaps of money on public transport and not too impressed by the after sales service. Probably had a good 6 weeks of
Missed riding time due to all the issues.
i Just wanted to follow up here to give you guys some more info. Almost two months off the bike yet and still no new information or potential solution anytime soon. I have put the dealer in contact with shimano who has forwarded it on to the distributor. That’s right, Nukeproof doesn’t handle warranties directly but subcontracts it to the distributor. Anyways given that Shimano Norway has diagnosed the problem and solution (new battery) you would think they would just try to provide me with a new battery and let me ride my bike.

But no, dealer forwarded an email from the tech support who was super accusative saying the bike was over a year old and how had I not heard the noise - implying that it was my fault that the bike didn’t work because ai hadn’t complained earlier. I had written to the dealer on May 11 complaining about the noise (I received no reply) I also told him that Shimano found a bolt laying above the motor that had been rattling around and making a huge amount of noise. The bike had been received in September and started riding in October, with minimal riding during the winter due to all the snow (November to April). Moreover the EP8 batteries are known for their rattling so not always easy for the customer to know what is causing the rattling be it bolt, loose battery or motor.

Anyways, pretty fed up. Have spent a shit load of money on a bike I can’t ride, rather than helping me I just get accused of not complaining, when the dealer never even replied to my complaint. I live in. Oriya and the dealer is in Germany so it’s not like I can just take it down to the shop. Sorry this is a bit of a rant, but buyer beware at this stage, and as really hope Nukeproof read these forums.

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
i Just wanted to follow up here to give you guys some more info. Almost two months off the bike yet and still no new information or potential solution anytime soon. I have put the dealer in contact with shimano who has forwarded it on to the distributor. That’s right, Nukeproof doesn’t handle warranties directly but subcontracts it to the distributor. Anyways given that Shimano Norway has diagnosed the problem and solution (new battery) you would think they would just try to provide me with a new battery and let me ride my bike.

But no, dealer forwarded an email from the tech support who was super accusative saying the bike was over a year old and how had I not heard the noise - implying that it was my fault that the bike didn’t work because ai hadn’t complained earlier. I had written to the dealer on May 11 complaining about the noise (I received no reply) I also told him that Shimano found a bolt laying above the motor that had been rattling around and making a huge amount of noise. The bike had been received in September and started riding in October, with minimal riding during the winter due to all the snow (November to April). Moreover the EP8 batteries are known for their rattling so not always easy for the customer to know what is causing the rattling be it bolt, loose battery or motor.

Anyways, pretty fed up. Have spent a shit load of money on a bike I can’t ride, rather than helping me I just get accused of not complaining, when the dealer never even replied to my complaint. I live in. Oriya and the dealer is in Germany so it’s not like I can just take it down to the shop. Sorry this is a bit of a rant, but buyer beware at this stage, and as really hope Nukeproof read these forums.
Where did you bought the bike in Germany?

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Does any one know what ratchet is in the megawatt factory rear hub (DT Swiss H1700 SPLINE 30, 27.5", 6 Bolt, Shimano Microspline Driver, 148x12mm)?

For a while I was wondering what felt off with my bike then I realised the engagement is to slow for me. Kind of throws me off balance like the chains dropped or I over stroke into a pedal strike. I'm used to Hopes 44T (which was the first upgraded on my old bike over the stock sloppy hub)

Does it have the stock 18T atm? I see DT do a 54T engagement but also a 36T. I'm pondering if 54T might not be such a good idea for both longevity/over engagement. Not sure I could live with 36T if I was used to 44T. I don't really want to be chasing this with money (I assume testing them means no refunds).
Fyi I think it was 24t ratchet fitted to mine (see attached). Fitting the 54T was so painless, easier than fitting a tyre. Totally tooless too if you don't count removing the wheel and the guy doing the job.
The bike feels more stable now (no wandering pedals) in a light gear and I can ratchet pedal over things without the pedal dipping to low.

20221103_121306.jpg

Last edited:

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
That's a downer I've had good luck with [email protected] with the few questions I have had. Maybe worth leaning on them directly vs dealing with dealers and resellers.
I reached out to Nukeproof directly but they just referred me back to the shop and distributor. I might have to try again soon. The latest this week after my continued hassling was the shop asked me to send the battery back. Lithium batteries are dangerous goods and I wouldn’t know the first thing about sending one back. I asked why I can’t just take the damaged battery to Shimano Norway and then Shimano Norway provides me with a new battery that Nukeproof pays for. No answer as usual….

wessobert3000

Dec 20, 2022
Germany
anyone here who has ridden both the Megawatt and the current Specialized Turbo Levo (gen 3) and can compare? Stand a bit between the two bikes.

I am 2.00 meters and would drive XXL / S6.

Am very grateful for experiences, since I can not test drive the Megawatt unfortunately.

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany

Here is a review of the Megawatt and there was also in this test the alloy Gen 3 Levo.
I really enjoy the Megawatt, have a Kenevo SL also and I would go for the Megawatt if I could only have one bike.

Here I am riding the Megawatt. The friend in front of me is now riding a Levo Gen3 Expert, but I havent tested it.

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
I bought the bike from Bikeperformance Dresden. Got 15% as I bought the bike one year ago.
There is one thing on the Megawatt thats an absolute nogo and thats the cable routing through the headset. The new models seem to have cable routing through the frame. I saw some pictures at facebook.
I cant say much about the service of the shop, because I had no issue so far. Will be interesting when the motor fails etc because I am 350 Km far from Dresden. The „ride quality“ of the Megwatt is MEGA and its very fun to ride.

wessobert3000

Dec 20, 2022
Germany
yes, the cable routing also bothers me, not a nice solution. Think that the new megawatt will come at the earliest mid 2023 and until then I really do not want to wait.

Thanks for the feedback!

wessobert3000

Dec 20, 2022
Germany
Good news.

I contacted Nukeproof support and asked if there will be megawatt models with normal cable routing.

Here is the answer:

"In terms of internal routing, the last of the 2022 series and upcoming 2023 bikes will now have external routing placed on the side of the downtube."

Therefore, I will definitely wait until these models are available.

Dec 15, 2022
Newbury Uk
Hey guys, my first first post Here. I’ve got a megawatt comp coming this wknd.. I am however, slightly hesitant.. over on the Facebook owners group it’s absolute carnage. There seems to be a High Ep8 failure rate atm.. however..

I get the impression a lot of these bikes are being bought by newbie riders and are getting absolutely thrashed. The wet weather is playing a part as well (Uk based)

it’s not just Nukeproof related, it’s an Ep8 issue & Madison Uk have zero stock of replacement motors..

I do own and run a workshop and have accounts with hotlines and Madison, I’ve just to speak to Madison though. Will try today.

any thoughts / feedback ? How’s everyone getting on ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles