Any Yamaha YDX owners?

Racerx43

May 31, 2021
Arizona
I have about 150 off-road miles in at mostly Raceway Woods in Carpentersville, IL. I have to say, I am loving the YDX-Moro. I went tubeless and have swapped the drivetrain for a Box Components 9-speed single click drivetrain but otherwise stock.

What I've learned... Hold down the UP arrow to enter "Auto" mode and man... set it and forget it... it loves to spin... the more cadence the better... the motor reads climbs and adjusts torque on the fly. I am a big rider and used to power up, but this bike likes to spin and climbs so nicely when you have a good cadence going. Been really fun to ride.

I have about 150 off-road miles in at mostly Raceway Woods in Carpentersville, IL. I have to say, I am loving the YDX-Moro. I went tubeless and have swapped the drivetrain for a Box Components 9-speed single click drivetrain but otherwise stock.

What I've learned... Hold down the UP arrow to enter "Auto" mode and man... set it and forget it... it loves to spin... the more cadence the better... the motor reads climbs and adjusts torque on the fly. I am a big rider and used to power up, but this bike likes to spin and climbs so nicely when you have a good cadence going. Been really fun to ride.

I used to live in Barrington and rode at Raceway all the time. Great place - lots of challenging spots - great shade (miss that here in AZ) and wish I had my Moro back then.
I can climb like a mountain goat in Auto, and have now been able to reach spots I could never get to with my Analog bike.
Simply opened up a whole New view in my list of places to go.
IMG_0672.jpg

64528357948__9FDD1713-A8A4-44B2-B53D-4F133EA6605F.fullsizerender.jpg

Msawyer110

Mar 30, 2021
Wylie,Tx
I had one for a few months. For entry level it is one of the best. But once you look at the specs. The Spesh gives alot more bang for the buck imo. I felt like the geometry wasn't downhill enough. It did ride great. But the power delivery of the brose was night and day, way more natural feeling.
20210728_192039.jpg
I also went to a Turbo Levo Comp which upgraded suspension to fox 36. If you are gonna start hitting some extreme stuff your gonna want better suspension. Didn't like the 27.5" wheels. Didn't have any tech support. Literally no one will work on them. Even when I left the dealer they couldn't figure out how to get the front wheel off. Just didn't feel comfortable with that.

Considering the YDX-Moro and looking for information from anyone who's got one. I know they are relatively new, but someone has to have one...
How about some impressions or a review?
Biggest minus for me is the lack of dealers. Closest one to me is a 2hr drive and its a motorcycle dealer. I have concerns about their ability and commitment to service bikes.
Thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2020
USA
I had one for a few months. For entry level it is one of the best. But once you look at the specs. The Spesh gives alot more bang for the buck imo. I felt like the geometry wasn't downhill enough. It did ride great. But the power delivery of the brose was night and day, way more natural feeling. View attachment 70890 I also went to a Turbo Levo Comp which upgraded suspension to fox 36. If you are gonna start hitting some extreme stuff your gonna want better suspension. Didn't like the 27.5" wheels. Didn't have any tech support. Literally no one will work on them. Even when I left the dealer they couldn't figure out how to get the front wheel off. Just didn't feel comfortable with that.

couldnt figure out how to remove the front wheel? that is a bunch of bullshit, if you are going to make something up at least make it believable lol.

Msawyer110

Mar 30, 2021
Wylie,Tx
couldnt figure out how to remove the front wheel? that is a bunch of bullshit, if you are going to make something up at least make it believable lol.
Lol. You think I am lying? They did not know how to remove the thru axle, and I wasn't any help cause I never had a bike with that. Pretty believable a motorcycle shop doesn't know how to remove a bicycle wheel. It was literally the first Moro they sold.

Dec 20, 2020
USA
Lol. You think I am lying? They did not know how to remove the thru axle, and I wasn't any help cause I never had a bike with that. Pretty believable a motorcycle shop doesn't know how to remove a bicycle wheel. It was literally the first Moro they sold.

absolutely not believable, i have motorcycles and the front wheels have axles on them as well. go push your special bike somewhere else. those tall tales do not fly here.

MAO CONCHA

Sep 3, 2021
Philippines
Hi! I bought my Yamaha YDX Moro pro in Japan last October 2020. A few days ago while biking, it started to malfunction. First it registered an error 73 and just turn off by itself. When i switched it back on, again the same thing happened. I tried to change the drive unit from my brother's bike, (same model). Upon testing, it started okay at first but after a few minutes, (+/- 6 minutes) the battery monitor started to drain rapidly (less than 2 minutes from 91% to 0%) and lost all assist. The monitor is still on but the battery shows 0%. When I got home, I charge the battery, and after a few seconds, it came back again to 91%. (jump started the battery). I am sure same problem will happen again since it also happened to my brother's bike. Can anyone please help? Thanks!

240110693_988681875008272_3156576792160670021_n.jpg

Ebike-5.PNG

Ebike-4.PNG

Ebike-3.PNG

Ebike-2.PNG

Ebike-1.PNG

bsquared

Feb 17, 2021
Schaumburg, IL
350 miles this summer so far... and I am still loving it... 90% off road/singletrack.

BUT I was - through the chain under load - clipping the crank on the chainstay... Turned out Motor Mount bolts were loosening... LockTite fixed it but not before I lost a bolt during a ride...

Since the replacement and locktite. no issues.... but just saying... be aware.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020
USA
Hi! I bought my Yamaha YDX Moro pro in Japan last October 2020. A few days ago while biking, it started to malfunction. First it registered an error 73 and just turn off by itself. When i switched it back on, again the same thing happened. I tried to change the drive unit from my brother's bike, (same model). Upon testing, it started okay at first but after a few minutes, (+/- 6 minutes) the battery monitor started to drain rapidly (less than 2 minutes from 91% to 0%) and lost all assist. The monitor is still on but the battery shows 0%. When I got home, I charge the battery, and after a few seconds, it came back again to 91%. (jump started the battery). I am sure same problem will happen again since it also happened to my brother's bike. Can anyone please help? Thanks!

View attachment 71696

View attachment 71697

View attachment 71698

View attachment 71699

View attachment 71700

View attachment 71701
sounds like your battery connection is bad, did you try taking out your battery then re-seating it?

scooby

Oct 24, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I have different issue on my moro pro, assist stop working after <6 miles rides, no error and when I try to address it to dealer they werent able to replicate the issue (riding on greenway won't trigger it). I tried all the modes with same result, yamaha suspected this is due to fail safe mode from motor/battery being overheat. I'm 205lb and ride moderately. This is my 4th ebikes(levo, norco, trek) and none of them have this issue. Long story short, I returned my bike and dealer give me 60% of the value, pretty sure my bike is one off issue but buying it from moto dealer doesn't help the after service.

bsquared

Feb 17, 2021
Schaumburg, IL
I am 285 lbs and beat my YDX (non-pro). As written above, I've had motor mounts loosening... But no overheating or issues on super hot days or any days... 360 miles of moderate off-road riding.... sorry little guy ;).

E J

Nov 12, 2020
PA
I returned my bike and dealer give me 60% of the value, pretty sure my bike is one off issue but buying it from moto dealer doesn't help the after service.

I'm confused - you took the bike back to the dealer and rather than fix it under warranty, you gave it back and took a ~$1600 loss in the process? Why? Did they say they couldn't fix it?
This was my concern re these being sold through moto dealers. Just another "accessory" like helmets, etc.

scooby

Oct 24, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I'm confused - you took the bike back to the dealer and rather than fix it under warranty, you gave it back and took a ~$1600 loss in the process? Why? Did they say they couldn't fix it?
This was my concern re these being sold through moto dealers. Just another "accessory" like helmets, etc.

I tried to fix under warranty and dealer kept it for 3 weeks with no resolution, they unable to replicate the issue. I asked them if they ride it on the trails or greenway and of course they ride it on greenway. I tried to fight it with Yamaha corporates even made several videos with what they requested and still not going anywhere. I guess I just tired dealing with dealer / Yamaha corporates and take easy way out.

Dec 20, 2020
USA

sounds made up to me.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have seen similar problems with Motorbike dealers selling ebikes over here - they have no idea what they are selling, but keen to cash in on the ebike boom, and as such any sort of customer service is poor.

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to take a moment to rip Yamaha for not having any authorized warranty service in San Diego. No Yamaha motorcycle dealer will look at the bike I just bought used, even the one it was bought from about a year ago. On the Yamaha bicycles web site there are two listings for E bike shops that supposedly will service them. Nope, they dont want to look at it either.

Shame on a big company like Yamaha not backing up their bikes. Dont buy one!

Last edited:

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to take a moment to rip Yamaha for not having any authorized warranty service in San Diego. No Yamaha motorcycle dealer will look at my bike, even the one I bought it from about a year ago. On the Yamaha bicycles web site there are two listings for E bike shops that supposedly will service them. Nope, they dont want to look at it either.

Shame on a big company like Yamaha not backing up there bikes. Dont buy one!
Mitch it’s the same throughout the entire ebike industry. It’s currently the times we are living in. There is worldwide shortages on everything. The local shops and advice I’m getting is that if you can locate any part or any bike that you want buy it now if it’s in Stock.
What Are you looking for exactly ?

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
Mitch it’s the same throughout the entire ebike industry. It’s currently the times we are living in. There is worldwide shortages on everything. The local shops and advice I’m getting is that if you can locate any part or any bike that you want buy it now if it’s in Stock.
What Are you looking for exactly ?
We' ll it took a month and a lot of phone calls but I finally got Yamaha to transfer the warranty to me. The bike is a blast to ride and with 2 more years on the motor and frame warranty I now feel good about the purchase.

doxvader

Jul 16, 2022
Utah
Picked up a moro (non-pro) a few weeks ago, loving this thing so far! Only issue was the shrader valve in the shock was bent/pushed in too far from the factory, so I backed it out and replaced it, this was AFTER I went on a gnarly trail and bashed the engine guard (oops). I assume it was a mix of unlucky/technique plus low pressure in the rear shock.

Also Any fellow owners have a good way to mount up a water bottle?

67900278018__D03FA31A-677B-4AB1-A553-DF09989272FA.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
I have the same bike, a great bike for the price. Don't know if you're interested in upgrades already but I replaced the fork internals with the latest Charger Damper and Air Spring so its now it is a Pike Ultimate; the Revelation and Pike share the same body. There is no spot for a water bottle mount so I use a hydration pack.

My ancestors were part of the original settlers of American Fork. Ive been meaning to get out there. Looks like a great area to ride!

bsquared

Feb 17, 2021
Schaumburg, IL
I have mounted …. With really long Velcro straps… a bottle under the battery and slip and baggie and rubber band over the top. But on road only. Off road. Camelback.

I added the MRP Ramp Control.

Great bike. Climbs like a billy goat with my fat ass in the seat.

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
Do you have a link to the upgrade kit for the fork? Also was it worth the time and $$?
I upgraded with the 2.1 RC2 Damper and the latest Air Spring for about $420 and did it myself. The Revelation is a pretty basic fork internally. I think it's a worthwhile upgrade, a definite performance improvement.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Just picked up 2 Moro's from myself and my wife. Absolutely in love! We put almost 60 miles of singletrack on them in the first week and a half!

Mods so far are not much, PNW grips and pedals, Maxxis high roller 2 rear and DHF front tubeless(the stock tires are surprisingly thin), and I swapped my dropper post with my acoustic bike to a 170mm (really need to get a 200).

I have a Fox Float X rear shock and a Zeb ultimate for mine and a domain fork for the wife's still to be installed.

I found two of my motor mount bolts loose (chain ring side) but my wife's was tight. We have the same amount of miles. I'm going to replace the bolts with hex heads and locktite them. We'll see if its better.

We have found the rear brakes to be lacking so far. Thought about trying Magura gold pads and see if that makes it better. If not I'll swap MT5 calipers on the rear and that should fix it. An odd thing about the rear brakes is they don't have a banjo fitting. All the literature that came with the bike and online says it should. Now if I have to change calipers I'll have to pull a new hose.

1681430618369.png

doxvader

Jul 16, 2022
Utah
Has anyone found any aftermarket wheel sets that fit the YDX MORO? I bent the rear wheel and looking for recommendations. Thanks!

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Has anyone found any aftermarket wheel sets that fit the YDX MORO? I bent the rear wheel and looking for recommendations. Thanks!
Any centerlock wheel will work. I actually put a set of Nukeproof Neutron wheels on my Moro and my kids Torc. Really like those wheels for the money. Really hard to beat. The only downside is they are 6 bolt (which I like better anyway, they are cheaper and easier to find).

I just copied what @Jaspy did and modified the centerlock nut to work with the 6 bolt.

doxvader

Jul 16, 2022
Utah
Any centerlock wheel will work. I actually put a set of Nukeproof Neutron wheels on my Moro and my kids Torc. Really like those wheels for the money. Really hard to beat. The only downside is they are 6 bolt (which I like better anyway, they are cheaper and easier to find).

I just copied what @Jaspy did and modified the centerlock nut to work with the 6 bolt.

Can you link to the wheel set? did you stick with 2.8” tires or go wider?

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Can you link to the wheel set? did you stick with 2.8” tires or go wider?
Here are the wheels, they come with valves and pretaped!

Rear

Front

The sole reason I put these wheels on my Moro was to get away from the plus size tires. I went with 2.5 tires. I put them on the Torc because I installed my Revelation fork from my Moro on it and needed a boost wheel. I put 2.3 wide tires on it and it works well with both sizes.

E J

Nov 12, 2020
PA
OP here... in case anyone is still interested in these bikes, I just got an email from Yamaha saying they are offering $200-500 off (depending on model), throwing in a free 2nd battery ($1400 value according to the email) and extending the warranty on the motor & battery to 5 years. Apparently the extra battery and warranty is also available to current owners, so those of you on this thread should look into that.
Sadly, my main concern from when I started this thread ~3 years ago still exists - there are no dealers within 60 miles and no dealers that aren't motorsports dealers.

Edit: Here's the link to the information - Promotions

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles