Any Yamaha YDX owners?

E J

Nov 12, 2020
PA
Considering the YDX-Moro and looking for information from anyone who's got one. I know they are relatively new, but someone has to have one...
How about some impressions or a review?
Biggest minus for me is the lack of dealers. Closest one to me is a 2hr drive and its a motorcycle dealer. I have concerns about their ability and commitment to service bikes.
Thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2020
USA
I think we may be picking up 2 of them, I checked one out at the local dealership and it looks great. For the price and considering yamaha quality I think it is hard to beat.

motox155

Feb 4, 2020
socal
* Had a little more time on it so I updated my review a bit. My local Yamaha dealer (whom I'm friends with) loaned me a YDX Moro for a few days to play around on. I still ride my normal mtn bike almost daily but as I've gotten older I have became interested in picking up an ebike to ride as well and give my knees a break, also it allows me to ride with my friends (who are mostly on them). I've ridden most of the other manufactures bikes (Trek, Giant, Specialize) so I have had some time on the ebikes. The short story...I was very impressed with the Yamaha ebike, rode it for a few days a couple hours each ride. Powerwise it was similar to anything I have rode to date (Trek Rail, Levo). Brakes worked well and bike handled great. It has quite a few modes...Eco * see below, Std, High, MTN, and Extra Power. Also an auto mode. I spent the majority of my ride in Std. MTN is a great mode but does gobble up the battery. I rode the YDX Moro (yellow one), which new is less then 5k out the door, in my opinion a great deal compared to the competition. I believe the Pro model (blue one) is another grand, with it you get better suspension and brakes. I was more than content on the yellow one, a great deal I'd say. If I had to critique anything I'd say I wish it had more power in eco mode, it's too light. I rode my brothers Levo Comp in Eco mode and it's very usable, the Yamaha really isn't. It's more like an emergency mode to limp you back home when you're about out of battery. It NEEDS to be bumped up. Sometimes I like to do a longer (3+ hr) ride and being able to use Eco, on the Levo, that's easy to do. On the Yamaha, if I had to ride in Eco, I'd rather ride my acoustic bike. They missed the mark on Eco. Not sure if they're adjustable like the Levo? Also the battery is a 500 watt unit so you do not have the range of the Levo or Rail but, I did do a couple 2+hr rides on it with approx 3500ft of climbing and came home with 25% battery still. Also, no place for a water bottle...but a hydro pack solves that. Nutshell, great bike for the money. Everything except Eco mode works awesome. My bro on his Levo Comp next to it.
ZMTsrmaAs4H9-egjt_3DYO4-Egb-ZowaVik0SE31Hsc-2048x1536.jpg

Last edited:

E J

Nov 12, 2020
PA
Thanks for your replies. I'm ready to buy one today but the lack of a nearby dealer is the only thing holding me off. The closest one is over an hour away and they haven't answered their phone for 3 weeks. Lots of negative reviews online too. Next closest one has responded to my emails and seems ok from what I can find online, but it would still be a long way to have to take a bike in for warranty work. Of course, my hope is that would not be necessary. They are quoting me MSRP on the bike and don't currently have one in stock.
I did have a pretty long chat w/ Yamaha customer service the other day. They confirmed that any warranty work would have to be done at an authorized Yamaha dealer - I had hoped a Giant dealer could do any necessary repairs. He did say a Giant dealer "might" be able to make repairs, but not under warranty.
I also asked my LBS to take a look at them and see if they might want to become a dealer. I'm not hopeful because the bikes they currently sell with a similar spec are all $1000-1500 more than the Moro. Of course, they don't actually *have* any of those bikes to sell right now.
I emailed the 5 closest Yamaha moto dealers and asked if they were considering adding bikes to their dealership. If one of them says yes, I'm getting a new bike.

Dec 20, 2020
USA
I would just call the yamaha dealerships instead of emailing them. Some dealerships do not check emails like they should since they are dealerships that have been in business for decades they may not be used to doing business by email.

I went in and just asked if they could give me a better price and he said sure how about $3999 and I said well could you do $3900 and he said yeah. I probably could have asked for even less lol.

I was going to get a cheaper Luna X1 but after reading all the issues people were having and knowing my personal experience with Japanese motorcycles (sport bikes and dirt bikes) they are virtually indestructible so I decided to spend a little more and get the yamaha's because they will be extremely well made, Japanese super precise engineering with no corners cut with parts not fitting or sloppy assembly and with a 3 year warranty you cant beat it.

I bought the yamaha's because I plan to keep them long term and know they are built solid and will last, none of that luck of the draw quality with china made bikes or bikes peace-milled together by assembling random parts here and there that may or may not work for the long term.

PXL_20201209_194102055.jpg

PXL_20201209_194050219.MP.jpg

PXL_20201209_194031728.jpg

PXL_20201209_193134539.MP.jpg

motox155

Feb 4, 2020
socal
Thanks for your replies. I'm ready to buy one today but the lack of a nearby dealer is the only thing holding me off. The closest one is over an hour away and they haven't answered their phone for 3 weeks. Lots of negative reviews online too. Next closest one has responded to my emails and seems ok from what I can find online, but it would still be a long way to have to take a bike in for warranty work. Of course, my hope is that would not be necessary. They are quoting me MSRP on the bike and don't currently have one in stock.
I did have a pretty long chat w/ Yamaha customer service the other day. They confirmed that any warranty work would have to be done at an authorized Yamaha dealer - I had hoped a Giant dealer could do any necessary repairs. He did say a Giant dealer "might" be able to make repairs, but not under warranty.
I also asked my LBS to take a look at them and see if they might want to become a dealer. I'm not hopeful because the bikes they currently sell with a similar spec are all $1000-1500 more than the Moro. Of course, they don't actually *have* any of those bikes to sell right now.
I emailed the 5 closest Yamaha moto dealers and asked if they were considering adding bikes to their dealership. If one of them says yes, I'm getting a new bike.

Just curious, where did you see lots of negative reviews? I looked around on the internet and didn't see much about the YDX Moro or Moro pro.

I do know most Yamaha shops don't stock them or if they do they only stock a few. Since this a new market for them I'm sure they don't want to invest a ton of money into something new that may or may not sell. Hopefully they won't have a lot of issues with them, Yamaha has been making motors for these a long time so I think they did their homework. I know a couple of my friends that bought the Moro pro and so far they haven't had any issues, they love em. I have quite a few friends that own Levos (great bikes as well) that are on their second or third motor. Although Specialized now comes with a great motor warranty, that's usually something you don't want to deal with.

Last edited:

E J

Nov 12, 2020
PA
Just curious, where did you see lots of negative reviews? I looked around on the internet and didn't see much about the YDX Moro or Moro pro.

I do know most Yamaha shops don't stock them or if they do they only stock a few. Since this a new market for them I'm sure they don't want to invest a ton of money into something new that may or may not sell. Hopefully they won't have a lot of issues with them, Yamaha has been making motors for these a long time so I think they did their homework. I know a couple of my friends that bought the Moro pro and so far they haven't had any issues, they love em. I have quite a few friends that own Levos (great bikes as well) that are on their second or third motor. Although Specialized now comes with a great motor warranty, that's usually something you don't want to deal with.

My comment about lots of negative reviews was in reference to the dealership, not the bikes. Sorry if that was confusing.
That dealer is still not answering their phone or email so I don't know what's up with them.
As I said, I did hear from one dealership (50 miles away) that's waiting for a medium to arrive. I heard back from one of the local Yamaha motorcycle dealers I contacted that they are planning to carry Husqvarna e-bikes.

Yamaha is OK with retailers selling bikes online, but without a support network it feels like a big gamble to me. It feels to me that for a powersports dealer, bikes are just another accessory, like clothing or helmets so I wonder what the commitment level will be. For you guys that have dealers, do they have a "bike shop" inside a motorcycle dealer?
I also didn't get the impression that Yamaha was courting bike shops as dealers (but wouldn't turn them down).

motox155

Feb 4, 2020
socal
Yamaha is OK with retailers selling bikes online, but without a support network it feels like a big gamble to me. It feels to me that for a powersports dealer, bikes are just another accessory, like clothing or helmets so I wonder what the commitment level will be. For you guys that have dealers, do they have a "bike shop" inside a motorcycle dealer?
I also didn't get the impression that Yamaha was courting bike shops as dealers (but wouldn't turn them down).

I'm not sure where you're located but I did a quick search for Yamaha bicycle dealers in my area and came back with roughly 40 locations. My friends shop that sells them is a motorcycle dealer, they do not work on them there (that I know of). They do have a service area for motorcycle service, perhaps they are doing bicycle now as well? I do have a good friend that owns a bicycle shop as well, he sells mainly Trek and Specialized but is also a Yamaha bike service as well. I think most of the reputable bike shops can be approved to work on Yamaha bikes/components. I think Giant bikes come with or used to come with Yamaha motors. Anyway, I'd definitely buy the bike you want. For some people that are maybe not very mechanically inclined and they need to bring their bikes in for something as simple as a derailleur adjustment or a new cable, a local shop is very important.

E J

Nov 12, 2020
PA
You're lucky. I'm in PA. There are 3 dealers in the state. The closest 2 are in NJ but still 50 miles away.
I asked if a Giant dealer could service the motors and they said "maybe, but not under warranty". I think they are different on the software side.
I can do all the bike work myself, it's only the motor/electronics warranty support that I could need.
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 4.08.16 PM.jpg

motox155

Feb 4, 2020
socal
You're lucky. I'm in PA. There are 3 dealers in the state. The closest 2 are in NJ but still 50 miles away.
I asked if a Giant dealer could service the motors and they said "maybe, but not under warranty". I think they are different on the software side.
I can do all the bike work myself, it's only the motor/electronics warranty support that I could need. View attachment 49817
I believe any bike shop can become a Yamaha ebike dealer. This is from their site.

Obtaining Repairs Under Warranty. During the period of warranty, any authorized Power Assist Bicycles dealer will, free of charge, repair or replace, at Yamaha’s option, any parts determined defective by Yamaha due to faulty workmanship or material from the factory.

BECOME A DEALER
To become a Yamaha Power Assist Bicycles dealer, you must:
Be located in the United States
Have a valid Tax ID
Have a physical store location

Anyway, good luck with what ever you buy!

Dec 20, 2020
USA
I ordered 2 bikes last week and they should be in by the end of the month. Yamaha is one of the most established companies in the world with a long history of extremely high quality, precisely built products, lol. I'm not worried in the slightest about customer service with such a large and established Japanese company.

Dec 20, 2020
USA
In the process of adding Lamin-X film to the bike, bottom bar has the lamin-x on it and the top bar does not. It is nearly invisible and really thick. I have used this film on cars over the years and it is tough stuff.
PXL_20210215_004703244.PORTRAIT.jpg

bsquared

Feb 17, 2021
Schaumburg, IL
3800 for a YDX Moro shipped from Madison WI... Gary... totally cool guy... Crazy Lennies E-Bikes

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
How do they feel as far as power and handling? What about battery range? I am very interested but haven’t been able to actually talk to anyone who owns one and had some time on it.

Dec 20, 2020
USA
How do they feel as far as power and handling? What about battery range? I am very interested but haven’t been able to actually talk to anyone who owns one and had some time on it.

Yes there is very little info on the net. The weather has been horrible here, snow and ice storms so I have mostly just sat and looked at mine unfortunately lol. The motor is used on several other bikes so that should be easy to look up info on. It has more power than my 750w hub drive ebike.

Here is a good collection of info Facebook Groups

Dec 20, 2020
USA
What vehicle is this?
honda element. there is even more room if we take the other seat out and the bikes fit with the front wheels on but it is a tight squeeze with the bars and it is just easier and more room for stuff with the front wheels off. i wish they still made them, awd, tons of room and reliable.

Racerx43

May 31, 2021
Arizona
Finally picked up a 2021 Moro Pro, and have an upgraded front shock with better tires. The stockers are so thin.
Battery so far looks like its good for 40miles in Auto mode.
I live in AZ, with climbs, rocks and flows. Good riding if you can get it in before the heat builds up.

bsquared

Feb 17, 2021
Schaumburg, IL
I have about 150 off-road miles in at mostly Raceway Woods in Carpentersville, IL. I have to say, I am loving the YDX-Moro. I went tubeless and have swapped the drivetrain for a Box Components 9-speed single click drivetrain but otherwise stock.

What I've learned... Hold down the UP arrow to enter "Auto" mode and man... set it and forget it... it loves to spin... the more cadence the better... the motor reads climbs and adjusts torque on the fly. I am a big rider and used to power up, but this bike likes to spin and climbs so nicely when you have a good cadence going. Been really fun to ride.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles