2021 Santa Cruz Bullit

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The interesting thing is its by far the lightest 2021 full on Enduro bike I have seen with a big battery in top end spec with burly components at 22kg
Yeah. But that'll be the stupidly expensive top end EP8 carbon wheel model. Be interested in seeing the full spec to get it down to that weight.
Ironically if I were to swap my E8000 for an EP8 and my 504wh external battery for the 630 I'd still have an Alu framed 170mm Eeb as light as the £10k Bullet. Chuck another £600 or so at a lighter rear hub and 2 carbon rims and it'd be lighter. (not that I ever would of course)
Santa cruz CC is great as carbon frames go. And in my mind Carbon is the only way any manufacturer should go if using internal batteries. It's just such a superior marerial to manufacture into the structures required to hold a battery internally while maintaining strength and keeping weight down. (Obviously it's not perfect and still has other downsides over Alu)

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Just noticed from the order confirmation that it mentions DHX2 as well:

BULL.3 CC XO1 RSV XL LAVEN RSV DHX2 COIL

Last edited:

Motofinne

Nov 18, 2020
Finland
Exactly the type of bike i'm looking to upgrading to in a few years. But the price... Just too much for me. The XO1 spec is ok value if you're in that super high-end bracket but the rest? Yikes.

Dec 18, 2019
UK
The new SC Steve McQue.... sorry, Bullit; has just shot to the top of my list of bikes suitable for a taller/heavier rider. The price is somewhat shocking though, so i'll need to save a few more pennies before committing to a purchase. If we're going to get some tax breaks, or some special deals, in the UK, into next year, then I guess i'll wait a bit longer before committing to a purchase.

leocompositing

Sep 14, 2020
Surrey hills
It is interesting to see how some of the reviews go: Oh it's great uphill but very twitchy on descends (even with a 64º head angle!) and other reviews go: it gets you to the top but it really shines when you point it down... ?‍♂️

The top spec: for this price you should be getting fox factory all round... disappointing....

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
It is interesting to see how some of the reviews go: Oh it's great uphill but very twitchy on descends (even with a 64º head angle!) and other reviews go: it gets you to the top but it really shines when you point it down... ?‍♂️

Yeah, I also noticed that some of the reviews are a bit contradictory. I was smiling a little bit about the twitchiness comment with a bike that has a 64deg HTA and 170mm Fox 38. :) Maybe the guy was dragging brakes on descents? Although one could extend the fork to 180mm with a new air spring... Santa Cruz seems to approve 180mm on this bike.

The top spec: for this price you should be getting fox factory all round... disappointing....

As mentioned above, real world customer builds at least on X01 level seem to come with DHX2 and based on SC employee comment on one video, I think it will be the factory model. Personally pretty happy with the price/value on the X01 kit especially after the discount I got. Carbon everything, Kashima everything, etc.

I was also thinking about the EP8 rattle. I have a hunch that it might be greatly reduced by upgrading the DT Swiss 350 rear hub to 54T engagement points. This should reduce jolting motion in the chain when coasting. Planning to try the bike with the out-of-the-box setup and then compare to 54T.

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Think that's the first Santa Cruz I've ever REALLY wanted! Geo looks spot on. So we're saying they're 72% off guaranteed, yeah? Where do I sign? :p

Zoot Allures

Sep 17, 2019
West Wales
Really like the look of this bike but as others have mentioned, not the price. I suppose SC have always been at the 'fookin expensive' end of the spectrum. When it comes down to it, they're priced quite similar to Spesh who seem to be able to shift a ton of eebs at this price point. The S and XT builds are at a similar spec and price point to a '21 Levo Expert (appreciate the two bikes are not covering quite the same segment).

Be interesting to see what sort of discounts people manage to get .....

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Yeah, I also noticed that some of the reviews are a bit contradictory. I was smiling a little bit about the twitchiness comment with a bike that has a 64deg HTA and 170mm Fox 38. :) Maybe the guy was dragging brakes on descents? Although one could extend the fork to 180mm with a new air spring... Santa Cruz seems to approve 180mm on this bike.

As mentioned above, real world customer builds at least on X01 level seem to come with DHX2 and based on SC employee comment on one video, I think it will be the factory model. Personally pretty happy with the price/value on the X01 kit especially after the discount I got. Carbon everything, Kashima everything, etc.

I was also thinking about the EP8 rattle. I have a hunch that it might be greatly reduced by upgrading the DT Swiss 350 rear hub to 54T engagement points. This should reduce jolting motion in the chain when coasting. Planning to try the bike with the out-of-the-box setup and then compare to 54T.

Somehow I don't think switching out the rear hub will do anything for the rattling, it's a very common issue among all bikes using the new Shimano motors and it's internal when the bikes costing. Hub engagement isn't going to have an effect on that.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

Maybe the front end of the test bike has been too low for what the rider is used to. You can easily get rid of it either by adding a spacer under the stem or by replacing a new bar with more rise.

Noblefart

Jan 26, 2019
Norway

Sorry, but have a hard time understanding how this will help on the motor rattle issue...

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Sorry, but have a hard time understanding how this will help on the motor rattle issue...

it won’t make a bit of difference. The rattle is a result of the redesign of the engagement mechanism in the motor itself (likely a byproduct of the goal of reducing idle drag in the EP8).

Noblefart

Jan 26, 2019
Norway
Hi! I've had two emtbs so far. One rather expensive Specialized Expert 2019 and a Canyon Spectral:ON 6.0 (external battery 36 fox rhytm, cheapest option). I've had as much fun on the spectral, and even more, than the Expert (less than half the price). I'm really glad I've sold the Expert and got good money for it and ordered the the Bullit (xt/coil). I do not have other expensive hobbies and trailriding is my passion. I do not care about looks (well, the lavender color made me sexually insecure and went for bronze...) or brand name. But my experience so far: Mullet wheels fit my ridestyle and I want to ride more and harder. Bullit ticks almost all my boxes and before xmas the biggest present is presented.

I'm really glad there is so much exciting bikes coming out now. I'm sure there will be options for people that either is not willing to spend premium dollars or have the opportunity to do so.

Analog days are far gone, but if someone said that you have to do with the spectral - I will still be a happy man!

Take care!

Last edited:

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
Anyway, saw a bullit in person! Pretty sweet! I wanted it but just too much $$.

I will say that the downtube is huge! Very wide. Way more than I thought. I should have taken a picture from another angle. Lol. Massive.

246ED03B-AD66-4355-9D9E-28B5B9F84EC4.jpeg

Last edited:

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
Just ordered one. ETA March/April. One of the perks of being old is having a big more funding:) Probably will sell my Heckler once the new toy arrives. I love Santa Cruz bikes and the Bullit addresses all the issues I have with the Heckler. The Heckler is a handful on steep rooty downhills. The 29 front I installed helped a lot but the slacker head angle of the Bullit should fix that. It will be nice to have more power and range too. Probably will still need a second battery but will wait and see if the efficiency of the new motor is better.
you mention range - I ride a smaller battery Rocky and range rarely an issue for the rides I do - they tend to be self shuttles that are full climb to full dh - I get about 18miles and 5000 vert feet per charge out of the RM system - how does that compare to the Shimano systems in these Santa Cruz's. Looking for a bike upgrade but need more info on this; and not a fan of the Shimano noise when Ive seen them on the trails - Ive got to say that my RM is practically silent and no clunking - I'm seriously perplexed by comments otherwise but maybe I've gotten lucky; have a different generation of motor or something.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
you mention range - I ride a smaller battery Rocky and range rarely an issue for the rides I do - they tend to be self shuttles that are full climb to full dh - I get about 18miles and 5000 vert feet per charge out of the RM system - how does that compare to the Shimano systems in these Santa Cruz's. Looking for a bike upgrade but need more info on this; and not a fan of the Shimano noise when Ive seen them on the trails - Ive got to say that my RM is practically silent and no clunking - I'm seriously perplexed by comments otherwise but maybe I've gotten lucky; have a different generation of motor or something.
I would expect you would get at least the same range, probably a bit more. I believe RM changed the idler wheel design mid production which sorted the noise issue out? The new Shimano EP8 is significantly down on noise compared to the E8000, but does suffer from a noise similar tot he Bosch when freewheeling over bumpy terrain, which is eatery very noticeable or not an issue depending on who you talk too.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Range all depends upon weight. My Heckler has the Shimano E8000 and a 500wh battery. I ride with lighter riders and all of them are on Turbo Levo with the Brose and 700wh battery. I weigh 193 lbs. One ride I did I was trying to stay with a friend on his Turbo Levo and it was all uphill and he was motoring in trail mode and I was having to go into boost mode quite often to hang with him. In 2500 feet of climbing I burned through 4/5 bars of battery. I always carry an extra battery. Hoping not to with the Bullit but who knows. One big question is whether the improved efficiency of the E8 motor will translate into longer range. One big plus for the SC bikes is that the battery is super easy to change. Downside with the Heckler is I am carrying a heavy battery all the time. The old Shimano E8000 made only 70nm of peak torque while the E8 makes 85 and the Brose makes 90.

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
I would expect you would get at least the same range, probably a bit more. I believe RM changed the idler wheel design mid production which sorted the noise issue out? The new Shimano EP8 is significantly down on noise compared to the E8000, but does suffer from a noise similar tot he Bosch when freewheeling over bumpy terrain, which is eatery very noticeable or not an issue depending on who you talk too.
I'd probably be on the it would annoy the fuck out of me end of the spectrum - wondering tho, any comments on the clunk in a carbon vs alloy frame; and whether the clunk is also associated with vibration or "thunking" in the frame - Im thinking if its that noticable it must feel like someone pinging the frame with a hammer with each clunk (although granted it sounds like it is a freewheeling problem so most clunking around probably occurs while out of the saddle and blasting down trail?) - but still, if the bike and riding is tight and you become attuned to it you probably feel it through the bars - ?

lots of comments on here about how cool the bullit looks - totally agree, its dope in both colours! - but not much by way of real life rides yet!

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
Range all depends upon weight. My Heckler has the Shimano E8000 and a 500wh battery. I ride with lighter riders and all of them are on Turbo Levo with the Brose and 700wh battery. I weigh 193 lbs. One ride I did I was trying to stay with a friend on his Turbo Levo and it was all uphill and he was motoring in trail mode and I was having to go into boost mode quite often to hang with him. In 2500 feet of climbing I burned through 4/5 bars of battery. I always carry an extra battery. Hoping not to with the Bullit but who knows. One big question is whether the improved efficiency of the E8 motor will translate into longer range. One big plus for the SC bikes is that the battery is super easy to change. Downside with the Heckler is I am carrying a heavy battery all the time. The old Shimano E8000 made only 70nm of peak torque while the E8 makes 85 and the Brose makes 90.
I hear you man, range is a funny thing - Ive noticed huge variances between taking a chill ride and taking a hammer mode ride up the fire-road climb I often do (who am I kidding - always in hammer mode even if I leave the house for a chill ride lol); and ambient temp. - planning on plotting that out a little better as our tempratures drop; although my battery may die before I get a chance too (see my other post re battery life)

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Took one out for a quick ride at my LBS. Impressive bike to say the least. Things to notice? New display is clear and bright, didn't notice a loud clunking from the EP8 that bothered me ( I did drop the back end a number of times and did not notice any clunk, maybe more pronounced on the trail, but did try to get it to sound off), and WoW, that Ep8 is refined. Just wish this darn bike wasn't soooo expensive. Ugh. A winner though.

IMG_4284.jpeg

IMG_4285.jpeg

IMG_4286.jpeg

IMG_4288.jpeg

IMG_4289.jpeg

IMG_4290.jpeg

Last edited:

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
both the new bullit colours are super dope; unfortunately/lol confirmed my order for my new Rocky today (equally dope I assure you); both brands are cults:cool::oops::oops::oops:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles