SANTA CRUZ BULLIT OWNERS !

SoCal Scrub

Mar 20, 2021
SoCal
I got about three weeks on mine. I made a sudden decision to get one and found one on Evo.com.

They only had the R, which I got thinking I'd swap parts to some nicer. I didn't want to wait. I was super bummed when I realized the R comes with the E7000 motor, not the EP8. I didn't read the fine print! I just read the advertisements that only mentioned the EP8 motor.

The bike is a blast. I ride rough trails with hard features. The geometry is great!

18 hours in, the motor made some grinding noises and failed. I took it apart and saw that two of the gears are plastic. That seems cheap.

View attachment 57718

View attachment 57716

View attachment 57717
Really sorry to hear
I got about three weeks on mine. I made a sudden decision to get one and found one on Evo.com.

They only had the R, which I got thinking I'd swap parts to some nicer. I didn't want to wait. I was super bummed when I realized the R comes with the E7000 motor, not the EP8. I didn't read the fine print! I just read the advertisements that only mentioned the EP8 motor.

The bike is a blast. I ride rough trails with hard features. The geometry is great!

18 hours in, the motor made some grinding noises and failed. I took it apart and saw that two of the gears are plastic. That seems cheap.

View attachment 57718

View attachment 57716

View attachment 57717
Sorry to

View attachment 57718

View attachment 57716

View attachment 57717
Let us know what happens, hopefully they get you fixed up and riding again.

cgm55082

Jan 30, 2020
California
New Bullit owner here. UK based S model that Ive already upgraded.
ZEB's and AXS all round - will do brakes soon waiting for my V4's

This may shock but I'm 172cm and ride a size Large - The bike fits my riding style perfectly.

Wow. Did you try a medium, or just went straight to the large?

jmd_mtb

Apr 7, 2021
UK
Weird, just took delivery of a medium and feels huge to me (174cm). I'm coming off a medium 27.5er though so the slacker headtube and longer reach coupled with the big front wheel is a huge change. Not sure it's for me yet, I wanted more travel for the gnarlier trails here but I miss the precision-feeling of the smaller 27.5er.

cgm55082

Jan 30, 2020
California
Weird, just took delivery of a medium and feels huge to me (174cm). I'm coming off a medium 27.5er though so the slacker headtube and longer reach coupled with the big front wheel is a huge change. Not sure it's for me yet, I wanted more travel for the gnarlier trails here but I miss the precision-feeling of the smaller 27.5er.

This is good feedback. I'm the same height as you and have been nervous that the medium might be too small for me. I'm curious what bike you were riding and what its reach was? I wonder if the transition to the Bullit's more modern geo is what you're feeling.

jmd_mtb

Apr 7, 2021
UK
This is good feedback. I'm the same height as you and have been nervous that the medium might be too small for me. I'm curious what bike you were riding and what its reach was? I wonder if the transition to the Bullit's more modern geo is what you're feeling.

Canyon Spectral but a good few years old, not sure exactly what year it was but looking online I think it may have been around 430 reach / 67-68 head tube angle. I did swap out the bars and stem on it but don't remember why. Also have a Chameleon set up as 27.5 but I wouldn't really want to compare a hardtail to an enduro. Haven't ridden it in a while so wouldn't place any blame there.

I test rode a Heckler (non-MX) last year and loved it, but zero availability for high spec Hecklers, the bigger battery, and the glowing reviews pulled me into getting the Bullit. Thick downtube, more aggressive geo, big front wheel, plus the extra weight of an e-bike is just a lot of changes to adapt to in one go.

cgm55082

Jan 30, 2020
California
Canyon Spectral but a good few years old, not sure exactly what year it was but looking online I think it may have been around 430 reach / 67-68 head tube angle. I did swap out the bars and stem on it but don't remember why. Also have a Chameleon set up as 27.5 but I wouldn't really want to compare a hardtail to an enduro. Haven't ridden it in a while so wouldn't place any blame there.

I test rode a Heckler (non-MX) last year and loved it, but zero availability for high spec Hecklers, the bigger battery, and the glowing reviews pulled me into getting the Bullit. Thick downtube, more aggressive geo, big front wheel, plus the extra weight of an e-bike is just a lot of changes to adapt to in one go.

My guess is you'll adapt to the different feel of the Bullit very quickly and soon won't want to ride anything else.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
+1 in to the wild, switched today after 4 years on two Levo’s I have taken the plunge, although I am keeping my 2019 Levo expert for my wife.

First ride tomorrow in the FOD

2FE85B71-DCE6-45AD-8F61-568CDD49780F.jpeg

DE0AC42B-6A26-451F-8AB4-F53B4628A328.jpeg

B2AA35E4-D7D4-4953-8346-D7C5C45783DC.jpeg

jmd_mtb

Apr 7, 2021
UK
My guess is you'll adapt to the different feel of the Bullit very quickly and soon won't want to ride anything else.

Agree with that, my Bronson has sat redundant since i got the Bullit & i said i wasn’t going to let the ebike take over ? there just too much fun ⚡⚡⚡

I 'adapted' to the geo alright, but on a Nomad! Managed to test ride one nearby and now building a frame up super light for multi-day enduro rides.The EMTB for me is definitely the Heckler - shorter range, lower weight and smaller frame for short, quick rides on weekdays (plus I'm still in love with 27.5 front and rear). Great for recovery, great for fast skills development and great fun. For the weekend rides I do I just can't carry a 22kg E-enduro over fast flowing burns and up the unrideable rocky sections in the mountains up here. The Bullit is undoubtedly a sick bike and probably the best complete enduro frame/motor/battery package out right now, if only I could justify having three bikes...

Pedals looks amazing with the Lav! Looking forward to hearing your first ride impressions ?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Such a cool pic ??????

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I’m 186cm and 83kg with gibbon arms and a disproportionately long back (?).
Test rode the XL and bought an XL.
It’s perfect for me.
I can get ‘row’ and ‘anti-row’ right back and forward perfectly (Row/Anti-Row: beyond light hands/heavy feet – Lee Likes Bikes). It’s fine up and down ‘the steeps‘ and fine on singletrack too.
A weapon!
I changed from a Levo XL which always seemed a bit odd to me, kinda short (?) especially going steep down when making a mistake and I get none of that now. A much better bike and with the motor dialled down, I’m getting good battery duration (not as quite good as Levo, but the battery is smaller and tyres way more sticky, so just as expected and battery on order for big rides later in the year).

808Rider

May 14, 2021
Honolulu, Hawaii

View attachment 57718

View attachment 57716

View attachment 57717
What's the update on the motor? Did Evo or SC help you out? All covered under warranty I'd assume. Would like to hear what's up

bikedrd

Apr 5, 2021
US
What's the update on the motor? Did Evo or SC help you out? All covered under warranty I'd assume. Would like to hear what's up
SC sent me a new 8000 (upgraded) motor. It took a few weeks with the current delays, but all good. Just hooked it up and did settings with ST Unlocker. Great service at SC.

I notice the power difference to the 7000 for sure. I had to turn down Boost a bit.

Mungalot

Apr 5, 2021
Moon
Well I offloaded the heckler and got a bullit at 6’1 w a large is just as good but no more spindly front end w the 38. Much better bike. Oh and the purple helps. Dope color way here in Colorado as in the high country the wildflower displays emulate this color way and you just blend in!

Dan_eng

Nov 16, 2021
Romania
SC sent me a new 8000 (upgraded) motor. It took a few weeks with the current delays, but all good. Just hooked it up and did settings with ST Unlocker. Great service at SC.

I notice the power difference to the 7000 for sure. I had to turn down Boost a bit.
And you only swapped the motor or you had to change the control and wires?

AccousticBiker

Nov 20, 2021
USA
just got off my first ride on the bullit. is there anyway we can raise the bottom bracket of this bike ? I had too many motor strikes on the goto tech trail. at one point felt deceleration and got worried if I was gonna OTB.

edit : my sag is 25% on the fork and 25% on the shock

The good
very poppy suspension, feels lively on the trail
easy to handle, handles the berms nicely.
jumps well, the landing were way smoother than my other enduro bike
boost mode is unreal, almost no effort while climbing, my typical climb takes 90 minutes with rest in 100% boost mode I did it in 38 minutes.

the bad
the motor is too low causing strikes
Suspension is too poppy and makes the bike bounce around a lot on the rough sections (might have to play with the rebound)
battery percentage is deceptive. garmin showed 62% battery left after 1500ft of climb and the shimano display showed 4/5 bars.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
just got off my first ride on the bullit. is there anyway we can raise the bottom bracket of this bike ? I had too many motor strikes on the goto tech trail. at one point felt deceleration and got worried if I was gonna OTB.

edit : my sag is 25% on the fork and 25% on the shock

The good
very poppy suspension, feels lively on the trail
easy to handle, handles the berms nicely.
jumps well, the landing were way smoother than my other enduro bike
boost mode is unreal, almost no effort while climbing, my typical climb takes 90 minutes with rest in 100% boost mode I did it in 38 minutes.

the bad
the motor is too low causing strikes
Suspension is too poppy and makes the bike bounce around a lot on the rough sections (might have to play with the rebound)
battery percentage is deceptive. garmin showed 62% battery left after 1500ft of climb and the shimano display showed 4/5 bars.
Interesting comment… I don’t find this in my Bullit.

However, when I first rode eebs (T-Levo), I found the same as you (bottom bracket and and crank strikes). I read in this forum and others that I wasn’t alone.

Then it stopped happening.

I discovered that the heavier eebs need a different riding style. For example, I discovered that there was a temptation (to be avoided) to sit down and peddle more than was my habit on my normally aspirated.

Fixing this is helped by sorting the shock and you’ve done that. But there’s more to it.

I can’t articulate what changed, sorry. Others will be able to.

But you’ll find it’ll stop. In the meantime, what about ordering a ‘RockGuardz’ guard for that area? They are custom formed strong carbon fibre and do the job. It does involve using a Velcro strap, but given your concern, like me you’ll probably think that’s a small price for security. Category: Bullit

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
Interesting comment… I don’t find this in my Bullit.

However, when I first rode eebs (T-Levo), I found the same as you (bottom bracket and and crank strikes). I read in this forum and others that I wasn’t alone.

Then it stopped happening.

I discovered that the heavier eebs need a different riding style. For example, I discovered that there was a temptation (to be avoided) to sit down and peddle more than was my habit on my normally aspirated.

Fixing this is helped by sorting the shock and you’ve done that. But there’s more to it.

I can’t articulate what changed, sorry. Others will be able to.

But you’ll find it’ll stop. In the meantime, what about ordering a ‘RockGuardz’ guard for that area? They are custom formed strong carbon fibre and do the job. It does involve using a Velcro strap, but given your concern, like me you’ll probably think that’s a small price for security. Category: Bullit

Same experience for me. lots of peddle strikes in 2017 when I got my fist Levo but now I hardly ever get them or any issues with clearance on the Bullet, you do adapt your ridding style and tend then the issues go away, give it time.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
When I get a peddle strike now, it’s because I haven’t been paying enough attention looking forward to what’s coming up. So, yes, I still do it about the same frequency as @Mungalot, but it’s nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with me.

AccousticBiker

Nov 20, 2021
USA
Rocky mountain and Norco seem to understand this problem better and have aligned their motor to be higher than the chainring.
Also giant (2021 and older) bikes probably have a giant issue at hand (lol)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles