Internal Power Cable Failure, Levo 2019

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I opened up the non-drive side motor cover about a week after I had the noisy motor replaced on by 2019 Levo (bought 28/10/18, this photo 15/12/19). The work was done at Spesh UK, and as they fitted the foam to prevent debris getting in I wanted to do a quick inspection. There was a very small amount of debris in there, which had come in through the drain hole, but I also noticed the motor connector was split and you could see the wires below - I did report it and said I would monitor it. I also used a thick silicone grease to fill the crack and seal around all the connectors (obviously avoiding the electrical pins). You can also see the cable is kinked as others have reported. I have had maybe 4 occasions when I have had the blue/red LED battery fault code flashing on start up - each time cycling the TCD power switch resolved it, and no problems whilst riding. But it is always a lurking worry that the cable may let me down one day, although I have confidence that Spesh would resolve under warranty.

View attachment 11637
Same situation for me @Specialized Rider Care should we get these replaced before they fail on the trail?

ACA9E341-2CBC-406E-9EEB-2AA9D8502602.jpeg

BF13193B-8FD2-4393-A4A5-97ED533E30AD.jpeg

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
No Bike this weekend then as the new cable did not arrive from Spesh today at the LBS:(. Its on route apparently. In answer to BBKs question about the modded cable - I had a chat with the LBS mechanic tonight as it happens and he said the new cable is definitely modified at the plug end that goes into the motor. If I understood him correctly there is now less outer cable sleeve within the plug which means less tension on the plug itself (which is a right angle connector) Its the outer sleeve that is causing the connecter to effectively explode. I guess only time will tell if the new version solves the issue though.
There's is definitely less outer sleeve on the new cable
530366828.jpeg

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i thought specialized rider care said the outer cable shouldnt be shortened as it will let water into the plugs!!!

walkyp

Mar 3, 2019
Manchester
Just had my cable replaced 2 weeks after purchase with the shorter unsheathed version after failure to turn on and 2 flashing alternate lights on battery. Seems all good now.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It is actually interesting that Specialized clearly have stated that there have not been a SINGLE issue with the cables and yet many have reported that issues were solved after the very same cable have been renewed!

Karsten

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
Just to be on the safe side and not allow debris or metal filings to stick to the ROSENBERGER charging plug and foul the charging connectors I place a rubber end cap for chair legs onto the plug when not in use.

7/8" diameter fits tight and seems to seal pretty well...also available in white color...;)

IMG_1310.JPG

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
It is actually interesting that Specialized clearly have stated that there have not been a SINGLE issue with the cables and yet many have reported that issues were solved after the very same cable have been renewed!

Karsten
After having a new motor and harness fitted I’m 250 miles in and today had the red and blue flash again, cleared when switched off and on but I’m far from happy

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Hi Paul, sorry to hear - do you remember which fault lights you had? And were these on the top-tube display (TCU) or on the battery (4 Leds)?
Well after 250 miles on new motor had the red and blue flash again today, cleared by cycling on/off, as this fault prevents commas to the app it does not show any fault on the app. Really unhappy with this bike’s reliability, £4K down the pan.

Geezer_Levo

Apr 7, 2019
USA
Hey guys. I've been reading through this thread and am experiencing an error that is not mentioned:

When I turn on my fully charged 2019 Spesh Levo Turbo S-Works there is a long delay (longer than when it turns on normally) the blue LEDs illuminate sequentially to the top, then they go back down and immediately shut off.

The bike will not stay on. Today I took the motor cover off and re-seated all three connectors - no luck. My motor was just replaced a couple weeks ago. Had one ride, then lightly hosed off some mud off the bike that day. One week later I now have this error.

Any ideas? The shop is starting to hate me as I've taken this bike (and my previous Levos) in there so much. :confused:

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Hey guys. I've been reading through this thread and am experiencing an error that is not mentioned:

When I turn on my fully charged 2019 Spesh Levo Turbo S-Works there is a long delay (longer than when it turns on normally) the blue LEDs illuminate sequentially to the top, then they go back down and immediately shut off.

The bike will not stay on. Today I took the motor cover off and re-seated all three connectors - no luck. My motor was just replaced a couple weeks ago. Had one ride, then lightly hosed off some mud off the bike that day. One week later I now have this error.

Any ideas? The shop is starting to hate me as I've taken this bike (and my previous Levos) in there so much. :confused:
Bet they loved you when you handed your cash over, keep taking it back, also write to Specialized I have detailing faults so far and that the bike can’t be used for the purpose it was purchased for.
I must say Edinburgh Cycles have been great and I’m going in today for a check over.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018

Really sorry to hear @Geezer_Levo . Hopefully the store can quickly shed some light on this for you, one thing worth checking though is that when your motor was replaced they also moved the blanking plugs from the old motor to the new motor. On each motor there are a couple of sockets that aren't used (lights for example) and these have a plastic blanking plug with a rubber seal covering them. New motors typically don't have these plugs fitted - the retailer needs to take the plugs from the old motor and put them on your new motor to preserve the IP56 rating. If they don't do this and you get the motor wet, moisture can get into the connections and create short circuit conditions. This would be good to rule out.

MrWid

Nov 2, 2018
Milton Keynes
I've just had my wiring replaced for the same issue- every now and then error lights flashing to indicate motor not found. But unfortunately no change in the fault. Original components otherwise so i'm sure all blanking plugs and seals are in place

First ride after repair and i was on an uplift day, i was regularly shutting down the power for 15-20mins at a time for the uplift, no faults. Then stopped for a longer period of about an hour for lunch and the fault re-appeared. It's then ok after a reboot, but i'm a bit concerned in case the problems gets worse. Not a major issue at the mo for me, but seems to be a common problem... any suggestions @Specialized Rider Care ?

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
I've just had my wiring replaced for the same issue- every now and then error lights flashing to indicate motor not found. But unfortunately no change in the fault. Original components otherwise so i'm sure all blanking plugs and seals are in place

First ride after repair and i was on an uplift day, i was regularly shutting down the power for 15-20mins at a time for the uplift, no faults. Then stopped for a longer period of about an hour for lunch and the fault re-appeared. It's then ok after a reboot, but i'm a bit concerned in case the problems gets worse. Not a major issue at the mo for me, but seems to be a common problem... any suggestions @Specialized Rider Care ?
A premium brand should not have these issues, disappointing

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Well picking up the bike tomorrow LBS shops diagnostics showed nothing but they’ve changed the motor cable as a precaution and sending downloads to Specialized.
Great service again from Edinburgh Cycles, wish you guys designed and built bikes.

Gren_Patterson

Nov 5, 2018
Belgium
My Levo 2019 also didn't swithed on this morning.
But I found it strange because I was sure that there was still 40% capacity after my last ride.
So I charged the battery, he was empty. My problem is that I cannot switch off the bike and I cannot change the power modus. Any suggestions?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
My Levo 2019 also didn't swithed on this morning.
But I found it strange because I was sure that there was still 40% capacity after my last ride.
So I charged the battery, he was empty. My problem is that I cannot switch off the bike and I cannot change the power modus. Any suggestions?
I resorted to turning on/off via the charge port for a few months.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles