YT decoy tyre pressure

bryancls

Sep 2, 2019
California
Hi, just wanted to know how much PSI do you guys put in your YT decoy tyre and what kind of tyre. I skid a lot in a 20 psi, but Im at the best grip at 18psi but I feel the pressure of 18 psi is a bit low for a 50lbs bike or Im just thinking too much. Lol

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Well, that, of course depends on the type and brand of tires you use, how heavy you are, what your riding style is, where you ride, under which weather conditions and what you like. So it is something that is impossible to answer in PSI or Bar by others.

So yeah you are thinking to much. Just ride and try different pressures :)

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
18 psi is about right, slightly higher or lower depending on your weight, but I now run Rimpact inserts, they’ll do a pair to fit the Decoy, just message them.

I destroyed a couple of the rear Maxxis without the inserts, now running an Eddy on the rear and it’s very very good, inserts adding to the confidence, I’m no longer spending £60 every few hundred miles on tyres!

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I have tried many pressures but like Jedipip above settled on (using the 2.5/2.8 combo):

18 psi rear using Rimpact Inserts
21 psi front (no insert)

Been riding for a long time, and have only ever experienced 3 flats in 15 years .. Coincidence or not … ALL three of them on first rides :confused: using brand new OEM Maxxis tires (the ones with the Maxxis logo in white). First order of business on every new bike for me is to change them to the non-OEM tires.

Also I would suggest getting in the habit of checking and setting your tire pressures immediately before riding. I can't tell you the number of people I have rode with who never do this and end up with flats on the trail or dent their rims :unsure: (or use the squeeze check with their hands as a way of measuring tire pressure)

PSI always ultimately depends on your weight, riding style, terrain and type of tire (sidewall support) of course, so you'll always get differing opinions (so take mine with a "grain of salt) too :cool:(y). Cheers

bryancls

Sep 2, 2019
California
Thanks guys. I just wanted tonknow whats in your head about decoy’s tyre pressure. I will definitely gonna check that rimpact inserts.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
I have tried many pressures but like Jedipip above settled on (using the 2.5/2.8 combo):

21 psi front (no insert)

Been riding for a long time, and have only ever experienced 3 flats in 15 years .. Coincidence or not … ALL three of them on first rides :confused: using brand new OEM Maxxis tires (the ones with the Maxxis logo in white). First order of business on every new bike for me is to change them to the non-OEM tires.

Also I would suggest getting in the habit of checking and setting your tire pressures immediately before riding. I can't tell you the number of people I have rode with who never do this and end up with flats on the trail or dent their rims :unsure: (or use the squeeze check with their hands as a way of measuring tire pressure)

PSI always ultimately depends on your weight, riding style, terrain and type of tire (sidewall support) of course, so you'll always get differing opinions (so take mine with a "grain of salt) too :cool:(y). Cheers

21 psi front (no insert)

TransAm you and I are the empirical, not anecdotal, evidence that the OEM white logo Maxxis are far from a quality item! I have a decent eBay income stream from flogging them after a few rides.

I ran without Rimpact in the front for a few hundred miles, it’s perfect and never was an issue, but as I get more confident....the jumps get higher, the speed gets faster and the gnarlyness (gnarliness?) that I’ll throw it at has, quite frankly, become ridiculous ??

Good Times. No tyre wall damage and run-flat get you home inserts are a god send on that crazy 2.8 rear, I’ve almost broken fingers getting tyres off it ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles