YT DECOY - The loam wolf shredder winner

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
I don’t understand how they didn't really like the 2019 but totally loved the 2020 Bike. The shock is unchanged and the fork was only 10mm difference. Does the 10mm more travel on the fork make that much of a difference? I read somewhere the 2019 Fox 160mm Emtb fork used Fox 34 internals but have 36mm stanchions and just thicker side walls for added stiffness. Thus you can’t up your 2019 Fox fork to 170mm since you can’t buy a Fox 34 air shaft in that length. Not sure if the 2020 emtb Fork has normal Fox 36 air shaft and internals.

On the X2 it appears all they did was add more LSC making it a bit harsher over small bumps.

Anyways I was pleasantly surprised the Decoy beat out all those other bikes for the best descending bike on test!!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I don’t understand how they didn't really like the 2019 but totally loved the 2020 Bike. The shock is unchanged and the fork was only 10mm difference. Does the 10mm more travel on the fork make that much of a difference? I read somewhere the 2019 Fox 160mm Emtb fork used Fox 34 internals but have 36mm stanchions and just thicker side walls for added stiffness. Thus you can’t up your 2019 Fox fork to 170mm since you can’t buy a Fox 34 air shaft in that length. Not sure if the 2020 emtb Fork has normal Fox 36 air shaft and internals.

On the X2 it appears all they did was add more LSC making it a bit harsher over small bumps.

Anyways I was pleasantly surprised the Decoy beat out all those other bikes for the best descending bike on test!!
Test riding all depends on so many factors. Even your mood can influence how you feel on a bike! Weather, terrain, rest, riding company, kit... all can impact it. Maybe they just had a shit day riding the 2019?

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Yep, was totally (happily) surprised at the review. I do think the bike may have been designed for the 170 the whole time along. Rob, the terrain in Palm Springs is definitely unique terrain, so this could be a big factor. We will see some rapid development of ebikes to some pretty exciting stuff, but at the current prices it will be hard to keep up. :cry:

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
I have come to the conclusion that the loam wolf cannot set a bike up or at least cannot set it up in time.

I have pressed yt for difference in shock set up and so far they say there is no difference but are reluctant to confirm.

This is the danger of reviews with YouTube bloggers. We think they know their stuff but really they are just riders like us. Not racers.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

The give away here is they moaning about stack and handlebar height and yet loved the 10mm higher travel. Just shows these guys know nothing about bike set up and when they get it right love the bike. I own this bike but have not yet tested it fully. So I'm reserved on my opinion but I hope it will be as good as I think it will.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
I have come to the conclusion that the loam wolf cannot set a bike up or at least cannot set it up in time.

I have pressed yt for difference in shock set up and so far they say there is no difference but are reluctant to confirm.

This is the danger of reviews with YouTube bloggers. We think they know their stuff but really they are just riders like us. Not racers.

I often find that the staff at Bike Companies are less informed than you think. Many of these well intentioned staff members are wearing many different hats and focus on sales, not technical support in any depth. I am guessing companies such as YT are not looking for their staff to get too in depth as it's a liability. As we look to modify stuff, do you think the staff at YT are suggesting changes, and advice on changes? NOPE. As for Loam Wolf, I would their reviews to be spot on. Yes, there is the chance for some overlap, or be told something different from the techs at YT. In this case, the 170mm fork would change the ride of this bike and could be in a way that riders like LW would notice. It has been noted that the forks rated ebike may have had larger stanchions and 34 internals? This would change the ride of the bike too.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
One of the weird thing in the test is the short feeling on the Orbea and resulting skittishness on downhills. I demoed a large one and felt exactly the same, loved everything else about it but that feeling on the steep stuff out me off.
I demoed a trick rail and it was totally the opposite, felt amazing going down the steep stuff but they have put the rail in the next “Trail bike test”.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
One of the weird thing in the test is the short feeling on the Orbea and resulting skittishness on downhills. I demoed a large one and felt exactly the same, loved everything else about it but that feeling on the steep stuff out me off.
I demoed a trick rail and it was totally the opposite, felt amazing going down the steep stuff but they have put the rail in the next “Trail bike test”.

Is there truly a Quiver Killer bike out there? Think not. One thing here in the SF Bay Area, the trails are very unique and bikes set-up to be perfect here often times lack in other areas. So LW reviewers liked those bikes in that exact trails system. How would they feel on riding those bikes in UK trail environment?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Test riding all depends on so many factors. Even your mood can influence how you feel on a bike! Weather, terrain, rest, riding company, kit... all can impact it. Maybe they just had a shit day riding the 2019?
A good competent test rider should be able to compare bikes whatever the weather , terrain (rest , riding company ?) can throw at them or he ain’t worth watching or listening to ! Plus you gotta test over a long period not just one day !

Last edited:

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
My suspicion is it was 100% entirely due to Suspension setup.

I am sure others can lend their own stories .. but lets admit that the QC at Fox during the assembly process is questionable at best (putting it mildly).

How many stories of excessive grease being used at the factory in the negative air chambers or insufficient oil capacity when brand new ? How about air pressure recommendation way out of range?? I have had it for almost every fox fork I have purchased.

Every review I read on Fox suspension certainly does not match my own experiences (lyric vs 36 for example)… until the forks and shocks were rebuilt and assembled properly .

My guess is the loam wolf dudes got a bad set from fox (which is about 80% of them) and based their review on the 2019 Decoy on that premise. Their review contradicted most other review VERY significantly, leading me to believe it was a QC issue with the suspension (since that was the basis of their complaints).

Cant blame them, as they review on how the bike runs based on how they receive it and don't get into making sure the suspension is properly assembled from the factory.

Just my hunch …. and FWIW .. my X2 was rebuilt a few weeks ago and needed a new inner can due to factory assembly issues.

Fox makes great products … if only they can assemble them properly .. then again :unsure:I don't think they have highly trained factory technicians building them on the assembly lines in Taiwan (y)

Last edited:

RichardWad

Feb 13, 2020
Earth
If they included the Levo in the enduro category, it would win. I mean, it only has 1 millimeter of travel less than their 151mm minimum travel requirement. It blasts through rocky chunk just fine.

I'm sure if they did a trail bike category test, the Levo would also win.

Simply the best package. Best integration, best feel, least ebike looking, it also looks sexy, fantastic app w mode tunability, etc. Good to know that one guy in the test liked the Decoy.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
If they included the Levo in the enduro category, it would win.

I'm sure if they did a trail bike category test, the Levo would also win. I mean, it only has 1 millimeter of travel less than their 151mm minimum travel requirement...

Simply the best package. Best integration, best feel, least ebike looking, it also looks sexy, fantastic app w mode tunability, etc. Good to know that one guy in the test liked the Decoy.
Except the Levo design is based on the Stumpjumper frame and for all intensive purposes is a TRAIL bike … not an enduro bike. The Decoy uses the Capra frame and geo. Two completely different bikes.

The Specialized Kenevo is built off the Enduro bike platform, making it the best "apples to apples" comparison for this group.

If YT had an e-bike version of the Jeffsy, this would be the platform to compare to the Levo.

A reasonable guess that you own a LEVO by chance :unsure:;)

Last edited:

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Except the Levo design is based on the Stumpjumper frame and for all intensive purposes is a TRAIL bike … not an enduro bike. The Decoy uses the Capra frame and geo. Two completely different bikes.

The Specialized Kenevo is built off the Enduro bike platform, making it the best "apples to apples" comparison for this group.

If YT had an e-bike version of the Jeffsy, this would be the platform to compare to the Levo.

A reasonable guess that you own a LEVO by chance :unsure:;)

They do it’s called the decoy 29! I have one and it rips!!:)

RichardWad

Feb 13, 2020
Earth
Isn't the saying "for all intents and purposes"?

I mean, wow, the Capra 29 has an additional .4 inches of front travel and therefore is in a "completely different category" than the Levo . Youre correct; i just might have Levo and drink the LevoAde! Other than being a 50lb tank, with 150/150, it bombs just as well as my 170mm, analog enduro sled.

I find that the extra 20mm of travel doesnt do much other than give me more travel to sink into the front fork off jumps, which tends to pitch me even further over the bars because the travel sinks so deep. The 150mm does just fine in the enduro chunk

Last edited:

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
I think they mentioned in the review that there will be trail emtb review follow up. I think Levo (or Levo SL) will be part of that one

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa

I mean, wow, the Capra 29 has an additional .4 inches of front travel and therefore is in a "completely different category" than the Levo . Youre correct; i just might have Levo and drink the LevoAde! Other than being a 50lb tank, with 150/150, it bombs just as well as my 170mm, analog enduro sled.

I find that the extra 20mm of travel doesnt do much other than give me more travel to sink into the front fork off jumps, which tends to pitch me even further over the bars because the travel sinks so deep. The 150mm does just fine in the enduro chunk

off topic but yeah, 140mm trail bike...

Reactions: JMD

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
off topic but yeah, 140mm trail bike...

There is probably a video of someone riding that on a hardtail, that just proves that with enough skill, you don't need lots of suspension.

Using travel to decide what category a bike is in is dumb, overall geometry is what matters.

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA

Regardless of travel, the Decoy has a 64.5deg HT vs 66 on the Levo and a reduced offset fork so the trail figures on the Decoy translates to stability on steep gnarly stuff. 150mm of travel on a Fox 34 on my buddy's Levo vs 170mm on a Lyrik or Fox 36 is very noticeable if you ride gnarly stuff and use up all your travel. Since you say you can’t tell the difference, you also probably couldn’t tell the difference between your 170 travel bike and a 190mm-200mm DH bike that happens to be 63 deg HT vs 64.5 degrees.

The Levo would still beat the DH bike LOL ?

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
If they included the Levo in the enduro category, it would win. I mean, it only has 1 millimeter of travel less than their 151mm minimum travel requirement. It blasts through rocky chunk just fine.

Check out the Loam Wolf soon as they are releasing a second video that will include the Levo, Rocky Mountain, Trek, Devinci, Bulls, Norco, and more. It will be nice to see where to Levo lands on this review. I'm sure it will land at or near the top. The problem I have with the Levo is it's geometry. It just doesn't fit me well. Geometry is changing for the better, but a 455 reach on a Large is tight, along with a slack seat tube and taller head angles. It just didn't fit, and I'm not going to pay top $$ for older geometry. Just my 2 cents. It will be great to see how the review does. Levo is dialed in every other detail.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

Win what exactly? Award for most overpriced bike with the lowest grade spec? Or least reliable motor? Or highest depreciation of an ebike in 2 years? How about fastest obsolescence?

The bike has asymmetrical frame which makes it ugly. The shock side is gash ugly and why nobody ever shows that side on video. If you want something to be ugly make it asymmetrical.

The custom tune rear shock makes it a nightmare to upgrade. The bike is full of cheap own brand parts which break if you ride it properly. If a cost could be cut somewhere it was.

Would I want to take a levo to BPW? Hell no. I'd rather have the Kenevo but all the above applies to that bike too. They even throw in a alu frame at no extra cost lol.

The levo is what it is but it's not the best bike by any stretch. You will find that out when the next version comes out and everyone is slagging it off.

Ps. the next version will be announced in 6 months or less which means you will get a whole 6 months to regret your purchase as the forums fill with all the problems with the current model and YouTube full of test videos praising all the fixes and changes versus the old one and by time you can order the next version you will be well and sold on the next model fixing everything wrong with your current bike. This is the spesh marketing machine.

Last edited:

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
Soo... in the review they complain about things like bars being too wide, a given bike being too long for a particular rider, with regard to the Decoy they basically say they can shred the 2020 model better than the 2019, more enduro focussed bike...

Sorry, these reviews are absolutely shit. Even 20 years ago, MBUK would switch bars, change tyres, pick the right fucking size bike for the rider, to give the bikes a chance to shine.

“We have a hipster AF YouTube channel where we make a point of showing ourselves putting on hair products” is not a good place to start from. IMO.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Just watched this. I would say all opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt. There’s clearly some suspension setting issues (not even tune issues) that could have changed these guy‘s feeling for the bikes. I’m not an expert on this stuff but that much was obvious.

For me, that terrain looks amazing but bears no resemblance to the rides I take most of the time. I weight what they say accordingly.

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
Just watched the original 2019 Decoy review they did. Same basic issue. In this case they complain about stack height being too high.

The Decoy (2019 at least) literally comes with an alternative headset top cap that is, amazingly, lower. No mention of this.

Loam Wolf phone review: “Yeah, I didn’t like that the settings app wasn’t on the 1st screen. Not a great phone.”

These are not ‘reviews‘, they are more accurately less than thoughtful ‘first impressions’.

My Loam Wolf review: Shallow, lazy. More concerned with clicks than quality.

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
New Decoy 2020 ?
Is it still a mullet ?pro carbon
Did they add a 170 fork to raise the BB and run a standard 27.5x 26tire on the rear ?
If so the reach should be 5 mil shorter ?
Is the frame the same as the 2019 ?
Can't seem to get any info in Australia about the bikes .
Im 5`8 ish and just under 5'10 with shoes, would the large be a good fit ? the 455 levo felt good

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
New Decoy 2020 ?
Is it still a mullet ?pro carbon
Did they add a 170 fork to raise the BB and run a standard 27.5x 26tire on the rear ?
If so the reach should be 5 mil shorter ?
Is the frame the same as the 2019 ?
Can't seem to get any info in Australia about the bikes .
Im 5`8 ish and just under 5'10 with shoes, would the large be a good fit ? the 455 levo felt good
Just log in to the uk website. Bikes dont change by country.

Looks like just a 170mm fork and less spec in the mullet setup.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
Just watched the original 2019 Decoy review they did. Same basic issue. In this case they complain about stack height being too high.

The Decoy (2019 at least) literally comes with an alternative headset top cap that is, amazingly, lower. No mention of this.

Loam Wolf phone review: “Yeah, I didn’t like that the settings app wasn’t on the 1st screen. Not a great phone.”

These are not ‘reviews‘, they are more accurately less than thoughtful ‘first impressions’.

I just read that he basically screwed up the first review in 2019. He put out a video full of incorrect information and specs. Got ripped in the comments on youtube and then had to pull the video.

At least this time they had a consensus and had multiple bikes. Always the risk they are not setup correctly but at least this time the review sounds like I'd expect for such a bike and brand.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Over the weekend I traded off for a bit with a buddy testing a Levo Comp to purchase. I got the same impression of it as when I test rode an Expert version about 6 months ago, while it is a fine bike I felt it lacking suspension in the rear, felt shortish on travel and didn't feel as confident descending as Decoy. I also noticed the 29er rear immediately, the longer chain stay and big wheel combined for more sluggish acceleration. Levo just doesn't suit my riding style very well. I'm glad I didn't purchase it despite all of the Spesh propaganda that would make you think there's no other bike to buy.

To me these 2 bikes are very different. I really want the opportunity to ride a Kenevo.

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA

I'm going to looks through my boxes for the lower top cap this evening. 5mm lower would be good for me!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles