What’s your maximum range after a full charge?

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Yesterday I did 35km with 670m of climbing and got home with 9% left (500wh). I generally ride ECO (20/35) on the flat/road sections and Trail (40/60) on the tracks with Turbo (60/100) for the really steep climbs. Realistically i'd bank on about 30km for an all off-road ride with steep climbs, but for a ride with a long shallower ascent like the Old Ghost Road, I'd hope I could grind out the first days climb (1200m over 30k) on one battery. Definitely considering a 700wh battery upgrade to help move my 120kg mass! (I'd need the spare to finish the OGR ride anyway)

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
As an illustration of how much weight makes a difference, I was on climb the other day, in turbo the whole way (recovering from knee replacement - at least that’s my excuse) with a friend who was mainly using trail. After about 40 mins he ran out of battery, (we both have got 500w specialized batteries) but I had 30% left. We both had 60% battery at the start of the climb. I weigh 63k and he weighs 85k. This was the first time I’ve ridden with someone quite a lot heavier than me and I was quite surprised how much difference it makes but this seems to be confirmed by comments above. One conclusion is that if one is quite heavy, then one might need a 700w battery or have to use less power than lighter friends who are using 500w batteries.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I haven't played with any of the settings yet. When I get some decent weather and can get to the MTB mecca of Rotorua twice in a month I will start playing around. Being a unit I will probably leave Eco alone and just dial Trail & Turbo back like I have done with the Shimano.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Definitely considering a 700wh battery upgrade to help move my 120kg mass! (I'd need the spare to finish the OGR ride anyway)

OGR is one of the reasons I snagged a 700Wh. Figure I can use that day one with the climbs and the 504Wh for the rest. Haven't done the ride as was injured but @Duke916 has (on an analogue bike) and was talking about someone taking a spare battery up there if he does it on the ebike.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Being a unit I will probably leave Eco alone and just dial Trail & Turbo back like I have done with the Shimano.

Sounds like you're going through the same setup scenario as me .. On the Shimano, I had eco dialed well back .. But on the Kenevo Eco almost feels like trail half the time on the Shimano .. So have dialed eco and trail back on both settings to see what it's like they were both at Xx/100 - so presumably still sucking stacks of power.. Will head out for a quick plod later and see what it's like.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My range can vary wildly depending on the type of riding I do.

I usually aim for 18-20 miles and 2-3k ft of climbing.

Worst was 9.9 miles and 3500 ft of climbing, all done in Boost, battery flat at the end. Solo ride, all off-road, winch and launch.
Best so far is 28.5 miles and 2500 ft of climbing, mostly in Eco, 8 miles range predicted. Club ride, mixed off-road and Tarmac.
Yesterday was 25.5 miles and 2500 Ft of climbing, again mostly in Eco, 14 miles range predicted. Club ride, mixed off-road and Tarmac.

Bosch Performance CX with the 500Wh (Ha! :mad: ) battery.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
OGR is one of the reasons I snagged a 700Wh. Figure I can use that day one with the climbs and the 504Wh for the rest. Haven't done the ride as was injured but @Duke916 has (on an analogue bike) and was talking about someone taking a spare battery up there if he does it on the ebike.
I've done both ends of the OGR (on YT Jeffsy) - conked out 10km into the climb out of Lyell (heart problems) so drove round to other end and rode 20km up the river the next day to Specimen Point to meet my group. I reckon the 700wh would get me to Ghost Lake in Eco, it's a moderate gradient , there's just a lot of it! Also keen to do the Paparoa, there's just that pesky no ebikes on DOC backcountry tracks rule..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's still a greedy piggy !! Tried Eco 20/55 Trail 50/75 Turbo 100/100
Mainly rode in Eco and trail with some Turbo .. Uhmmm .. ok, one climb I did do all the way on Turbo as I was being lazy.

I admit, I am really struggling with this bike to relate to when I'm taking it easy .. I thought I was going steady, but came back with 5 KOM's and 2 2nd's when I actually thought I was going steady.. So I can't really complain that it's using more battery when I'm going way faster uphill and way faster downhill... It's difficult getting my head around it .. Maybe I need to stop comparing two things which are obviously very different !

20km's 500m - used 48% .. GREEDY PIGGY !

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Its funny how after just a few rides you find you have adapted to the bike and can get better range and much smoother shifts through gears etc. When I first got mine I did some awful power assisted shifts instead of backing off a little, and was terrified to use higher assistance modes in case of exhausting the battery. Now I can shift sweetly and use a combination of gears and assistance settings to achieve a smooth ride with much better progress and no range anxiety.

I reckon any more than 40-45 miles off road would be pushing my luck, I'd need to carry my charger and find a pub stop en-route as I can't yet justify £500 on a spare battery and nobody yet makes an aftermarket booster pack for my bike.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
As an example my wife has a cube sting with Bosch and power line cx battery. When we were in Scotland, Aviemore, with my 17 yr old Granddaughter we both hired Hiabike hard 7's one day and did the Burma Road loop. 28 miles and around 700m climbing, first section ultra steep. So at the end of the day I had around 5% battery left, wife had around 25% and Granddaughter 50%, she did the whole day on ECO and is lighter than me and the wife. I am the heaviest and did the day on ECO and Tour. My wife did the steep climb on Turbo and spent most of the rest of the day in EMTB mode.
So the biggest factor here was probably weight with me being the heaviest. Also cadence makes a difference. As Kingfisher says range on the Bosch is based on your last 5 mins of riding so if flat and steady then high, if rough, rocky and high - low.

P.S. it was a cracking day out and I bought a Turbo Levo within a week of returning home.
Did Burma last week Rich first time on an ebike. I just did the climb up from Aviemore side then down the long down hill to the bridge and back u to top again . Came down the single track bit full on that was but great cycle.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I tested mine and got 41 miles last week 700 battery 3000 feet acsent about using eco 15 percent left. 3.5 hours cycling long enough for me.

Lino

Jul 26, 2019
Hilmar, Ca. USA
I'm not sure what my range is on my bike, but I rented a Specialized Kenevo a couple of weeks ago for a buddy, he was very conservative in not using boost much and the battery only lasted 14.5 miles.
They claimed that the battery had less than 50 charges on it, we were planning a 26 mile ride, and had to cut short.
I was down 2 bars from 5 on my bike.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
29.5 miles and 2500 ft today. Showing 2 bars (of five) remaining and about 11 miles on the estimated range readout. Mostly in Eco but a bit of Turbo at the start of the ride as I had to go back to the car and then play catch-up with the group.

ninjichor

Apr 10, 2019
Southern California
70+ miles 3000+ ft on 90% pavement, 95% eco, 5% trail/boost/off (US 20 mph cutoff)
Shimano E8000 504 Wh emtb 50+ lbs, with DHR2 29x2.3 F/R tubeless
150 lb rider, average 175 W according to Strava. I generally ride once a week, but I often make that a 35 mile trip by riding 12 mi to the trailhead, going around for ~10miles, and back. If I ride multiple times a week, it's generally a bunch of short 2-10 mile rides.
Rear freehub was FUBAR and added resistance. Also started recording late.

Screenshot

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles