What’s your running costs per year?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
With Covid ,spesh’s price hike and the warranty extension my kenevo has turned a profit this year ?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I have it all in Excel.

Writing down all expenses doesn't mean you have to do anything. You might find out that to successfully enjoying electric mountain biking costs 100 eur/month. You could automatically withdraw that amount from your monthly paycheck to different bank account to ensure that you have money to cover running costs for your hobby. You might also found out that the money goes to totally different things than you initially predicted.
  1. Collect the information in systematic way
  2. Analyze
    1. Problem
    2. No Problem
  3. Make decisions
    1. Do nothing
    2. Spend less
    3. Spend more
  4. Evaluate

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I'd imagine the running costs are not significantly different to a high spec normal mountain bike - maybe an ebike costs a bit more on drive train parts.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I'd imagine the running costs are not significantly different to a high spec normal mountain bike - maybe an ebike costs a bit more on drive train parts.
There might be also a difference when compared money/kilometer.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Knowing how much EXACTLY it cost me to run my bike would not stop me from doing exactly what I'm doing now. When I bought my current motor, I knew that it would probably average 32mpg of petrol instead of the 45mpg of diesel of the previous car. I didn't bother working out how much per year that would cost me, nor work out the likely increased depreciation, I just bought it because I've always wanted one like it. :love:

I have no intention of leaving anything but my house to my kids (and maybe not even that if I come down with something nasty but which doesn't kill me). :(

If I was in my 30's or 40's, kids to raise, mortgage to pay for, wife to keep in a certain style etc, then yes, this sort of stuff would have greater importance. But I'm retired, almost 70 and my likely active years are declining at an appalling rate! So that is why I'm buying myself a new bike for my birthday! :love:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Good for you. So, what bikes have you narrowed your choice down to ?
Merida eOne-Sixty 9000

1626177078677.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Spent £8 on my Emtb so far this year.

Can't be bothered to watch the video so apologies if I'm answering the wrong question.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Spent £8 on my Emtb so far this year.

Can't be bothered to watch the video so apologies if I'm answering the wrong question.
It was full of crap maths anyway , he forgot to substract energy bars and drinks that we don’t need ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ok, I can't resist: Given how frequently you get out to ride, are you barely touching the eMTB or do you get complimentary tires?
Emtb has 2000+ miles so far this year.
I ride at least twice a day most days. (probably half Emtb and the rest split between my normal roadbike and normal mtbs).
The only thing I've fitted this year is brake pads

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
It was full of crap maths the shit they shill day in, day out for their sponsors .anyway , he forgot to substract energy bars and drinks that we don’t need ??
Amended that to the general arc of G/EMBN content. They are what they are & it's free to watch so not moaning. OTOH, if it's free, then you're the product as the adage goes. Twenty quid on brake pads & eighty on a seized maxle...so far.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Amended that to the general arc of G/EMBN content. They are what they are & it's free to watch so not moaning. OTOH, if it's free, then you're the product as the adage goes. Twenty quid on brake pads & eighty on a seized maxle...so far.
Free to watch doesn't mean free of criticism. When you publish something to internet you make at the same an agreement to receive opinions - good and bad. I think I just misread Rustys post.. sorry

Btw. It never stops to amaze me how much you @Gary get with so little. No gloves, no money and still all the joy. ?

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Have you considered an outright purchase rather than multiple short term hire agreements?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles