Share your annual service costs

ant0

Feb 25, 2021
Aviemore, Scotland
I've now had an ebike for a year, used it in anger on all types of terrain. Living next to a mountain range (Aviemore/Cairngorms) I ride the mountains a lot (steep and rocky) and techy Enduro type trails.

Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 ActionTeam

In 1 year of ownership I covered 2,000+ miles and over 300,000ft of climbing/descending. Also raced some Enduros so it's well used as intended.

During the year it's had 4 chains, 4-5 new tyres and various other bits and bobs including some replacements when I broke things

Annual service last week was a mix of me and LBS... I fitted full new drivetrain (cassette/ chain/ chainring/ derailleur) and LBS did full fox suspension service (forks/shock/dropper) and replaced all wheel bearings, all frame and shock pivot bearings, headset bearings, pedal bearings, bled brakes and a few other bits.

Total annual service cost £1,000+
Running cost through the year around £500ish

So monthly cost of running a well used Enduro MTB = £125/month.

Not cheap, but smiles for miles!

IMG_20210724_175744_298.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have no intention of working it out! :eek:

By the way, you have forgotten to include the largest cost, depreciation. ie How much the bike loses in value over the period you own it divided by the number of years you have owned it.

If you want to be really all inclusive, you need to include the finance cost if you borrowed money to buy it. Even if you paid cash, that money could have been earning a turn somewhere else, or maybe paid off your credit card debt (at typically ruinous rates).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Vitus Esommet
Less than £100 per year on parts. I do all maintenance /servicing myself.
Somewhere between 3500-5000miles per year.

Depreciation is irrelevant Steve.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Vitus Esommet
Less than £100 per year on parts. I do all maintenance /servicing myself.
Somewhere between 3500-5000miles per year.

Depreciation is irrelevant Steve.
The lost money has to be found from somewhere, it is always from me!
The more I lose when selling my old bike, the more I have to find for the new one. It doesn't sound irrelevant to me.

ant0

Feb 25, 2021
Aviemore, Scotland
If it's going to cost me £125 a month to ride one I might cancel my order😳.
Depends how/where/how often you ride. As friends here often discuss, living where we live most of our rides tend to be quite full-on and hammer the bikes (mountains and Enduro trails). Add to that most of us are self-employed means we have more time to ride than many folk, so rack up the miles. My wife for instance spends a fraction of that on her ebike servicing.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The lost money has to be found from somewhere, it is always from me!
The more I lose when selling my old bike, the more I have to find for the new one. It doesn't sound irrelevant to me.
selling your bike is entirely your own choice and whatever you paid for your bike minus whatever you manage to sell it for is most certainly NOT a service cost. Is it?

DoubleU

Jan 15, 2022
Cheshire, UK
ant0 - great post and insight! The Cairngorms is probably my most favorite area in Scotland, and I stay up in Aviemore at least 4/5 times a year. Aware of what kind of riding can be done up there. Awaiting a 2022 stereo hybrid myself - my mileage won't be as high as yours, but what you have listed seems reasonable.

If a similar riding time (not necessarily mileage) was done on an acoustic bike up in the same Scottish conditions / terrain then I'd still expect to do a full bearing change, suspension service and likely at least a cassette and chain change once a year. So yep - perfectly reasonable yearly service summary.

I'll wave if I see you out and about when I'm up in April :)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Not cheap, but smiles for miles!
I keep all my paper receipts for my bikes in a box. Helmets, brake pads, grease …etc. I need a bigger box but very few of those receipts are for service.
There’s an amount of service required so I can either pay for that or learn to service my bikes myself. I can keep my servicing within the scope of my ability or the limit of my shop/garage.(ie tools). Therefore it’s as expensive to service as I let it. Shop labour rates are something I try to avoid. YouTube is my friend.

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
As I'm a off road motorcycle mechanic, I do all my own maintenance, so hopefully my only annual outlay will be for parts and maybe any bosch updates that may be needed.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I do my own maintenance but over 1400 off road miles in all weather's, I have gone though the following

2 X chains
1 X cassette
1 full set of suspension bearings
A few tyres (mainly replaced due to damaging them rather than wearing them out)
A few sets of brake pads
A couple of services of the fork lowers

Call it 500 quid? Tyres being the biggest cost, or at least on par with the drivetrain costs.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I think it’s best not to keep track of these things, it only upsets you.
I once started to add up how much it costs to own my Ducati per month, I stopped half way through because it was getting a bit depressing.
At least with the ebike I can ride it all year around, unlike the motorbike which is locked away around 5 months of the year and even then only taken out in nice weather!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles