E8000 - What’s your range?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Killed the battery using boost in 1hr 20m, 15 mi, 1880ft, averaging 11.4 mi/h. US spec (20 mph cutoff)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
i find the difference between my HT and FS emtb considerable when it comes to dropping the hammer, the HT accelerates way better, picking up speed quickly, even more so than i would have expected even factoring in that I would assume HT would do this anyway.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I'd agree with your take on assist vs cadence.
Funnily enough I'm just back from the BMX track with the kids. I took the Esommet just to see what it was like now it doesn't cut out at 15mph... In all honesty... it was terrible! slower than my BMX or hardtail (to sprint) and just heavy as hell. it's incredibly difficult to sprint once you get past around 110rpm as by then it just seems to give you less assist, Not enough to overcome the weight of the thing. Less acceleration than than a lightweight single speed non-Ebike. couldn't even link two straights as I couldn't get enough acceleration out of the berms to jump the following straight.
Yeah.. .I know, a 170mm travel mountain bike is never going to be the one at a BMX race track but even riding it with the rear locked out and making every downslope perfectly it just lost speed when you got back on the pedals. (compared to the usual bikes I ride there).

I think assistance cuts out around 110 rpm it feels just like the limiter has cut in
I don’t ride bmx but I’ve found especially using boost trying to ride short steep climbs I was failing because my cadence was too high on the run up in s lie gear Using a higher gear or just trail sorted the problem but it kind of goes against normal riding nature because you know on a normal bike you would stall so it’s second nature to spin as fast as you can and I think it all happens so fast in low gears or in Boost .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For me i never really use Boost, i find the way Trail works, and reacts to your pedalling inputs far more natural, and easier to get up silly stuff. Boost is ok on non technical terrain for getting you up a fire road or something, but i find you need to keep it at a constant cadence for it to work, whereas in trail you can slow down and accelerate without the power going out the sweet spot.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it definitely feels like it drops off around 110, maybe even earlier (which IMO is far too low) but cuts out completely somewhere around 130rpm. I tested it out one day on the inners fireroad climb but forget the actual point it cut off. Pity it's not adjustable for freaks like me.

I rarely climb anything when on my Eeb I can't climb on my normal mtbs so boost is fine. But TBH most of my climbing is just to access good descents so mainly fireroad and not massively technical singletrack (sometimes steep/muddy tho) and I just use boost as it's like a FFWD button for the bits that bore me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
i find the difference between my HT and FS emtb considerable when it comes to dropping the hammer, the HT accelerates way better, picking up speed quickly, even more so than i would have expected even factoring in that I would assume HT would do this anyway.

When I rode mine locked out today I didn't notice any benefit to acceleration only to pumping the takeoffs. Easier to pull up BMX racer style too

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I never ride trail centres ( not averse to them just non within riding distance to me) and a lot of my riding is using the E-MTB to get places where there is some nice downhill stuff that is hard to access, so quite often i am riding up what i am going to come back down.

I am lucky in that there is a lot of " home made" runs around me, that you would usually ride down once then move on to the next area, but the EMTB allows me to session some of my favourite local spots which are not really designed to be lapped.

Thats why i like the shorter cranks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh... There are no trail centres within 40 miles of me. but even around those two (Glentress/Innerleithen) there are far more and far better unofficial rider dug trails. litterally hundreds of them all along the hills both sides of the valley. it's mainly Forestry Commission land so they all have fire road access to around 700-800ft then it's single track walkers paths/trails/deer tracks/dug trails etc to the Cairns (Highest points)
I tend to do the same as you, climbing to access a different descent each time the only thing is on some hills one climb can access over 10 different descents. it's quite rare after any climb for there only to be one other way down. There were always trails there. originally used by walkers, bikes and motos. motos got banned, mtb took over (back in the 90s). loads of DH tracks were built (hand and machine). The emergence of the Enduro scene was like amphetamine for trail builders in the area with everyone trying to out do each other with how mental/flowy/good their trail bulding is. You honestly could stay in the tweed valley for a week and ride an entirely new day long route every day.
my local (from the door) riding is fairly flat and tame, great XC riding though and miles and miles of quiet woodland/rural singletrack in every direction from the door and miles and miles of barron rolling hill ranges just 8 miles away (mainly off road to get there). I think folk might call that sort of thing "gravel" now but TBH on a CX bike it'll knock yer fillings oot. The other direction the coast is just 5 miles away and it's a haven for fatbiking, not just the beaches, there's loads of sandy woodland trail networks. not my cup of tea at all but I have ridden it all at some point.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Agree that the climbing does most of the damage.

I ride a Focus Jam2 which only has a 378w/hr battery which suits me fine as I don't get many long rides.

1hr 33m, 14mile and 1,455ft of climbing, 2 bars of battery left.

Mostly trail and the odd turbo moment (no eco), 70kg (and a bit) all in.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles