What’s your maximum range after a full charge?

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
My sons 2018 Trek PF7 c/w Bosch 500wh battery almost always shows the same ranges when fully charged.
Turbo 41 miles
EMTB 49 miles
Tour 67 miles
ECO 134 miles!!!!!
I get nothing like it with my power tube. Does anyone else get anything similar?
I do have a video as proof but can’t up load it.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
If those are the miles your son gets on that bike, not yourself on your bike, it will probably be because he is a lot lighter than you. Rider weight/riding style are the main battery power sappers.

Bennyboy89

Aug 14, 2019
Surrey
Display estimated milage and true remaining milage differ entirely.
Regardless of weight 41 miles in turbo doesn't seem possible in my opinion with a 500wh battery.

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
He’s 22 and has Down’s syndrome. He is small in height but chunky. We never do long rides with him, Max 30 miles on towpaths, river banks, old railway lines etc. He’s always in EMTB and 4th / 5th gear. The only time this changes is if there’s a long tough climb and I’ll switch him into turbo and bring him down a cog or 2. I’ve never tried seeing what the true range would be as I’d hate it to go flat on him, he’d never the bike again. We have a battle getting him on it the 1st place.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are far too many variables for any range predictor to be accurate. The type of ride you describe is likely to give the biggest off road range and if you are already doing 30 mile rides you will know how much battery he has left afterwards and can work out what further distance could be covered. Factors affecting range include tyre type and pressure, all up rider/bike weight, terrain, wind, mode used, gear selection, riding style.

gwing

Apr 29, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK.
That range prediction is completely and utterly useless, you might as well use the weather forecast to estimate your mileage so just ignore those predictions. The most reliable guide is the gauge showing the %capacity left in the battery.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I wonder if Bosch have any connection with Volkswagon... ;)

My Shimano powered Focus is pretty accurate with its fully charged predictions.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To answer your question directly I know my Levo will do 25 miles on a rocky mountain climb of c 2000 ft with a similar descent and use c 72% 504 w battery capacity. Rides with less climbing also have shorter descents (little or no battery used) so flatter trail rides would probably be similar. The going would be easier than lots of loose rock so that would add some miles. I would not want to be 5 miles from the van with no battery so I would base my guestimate on 90% battery use. Virtually every type of ride I do I mostly use a mix of ECO set at 15/35 and trail set at 50/100....very occasional short bursts of turbo. So....based on all that I would put 35 miles as my max range.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My mate has the same bike same tyres and on the same rides typically usesabout 10% less battery than me. He is 15kg lighter...no other difference.

gwing

Apr 29, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK.
Yep, my wife and I have similar bikes and batteries. She weighs 30% less than me, and gets about about 30%+ more out of her battery when we use the same assist levels and ride together. Weight is the key differentiator, differences in tyres etc make comparatively little difference. I do tow a trailer with our dog in it for much of the route though so this is an extra factor.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Took my fully charged stock 2019 Levo Comp (500Wh) out at the weekend, 50km and 746m (approx 30 miles & 2000ft old money) with 11% left on return. Mostly Eco/Trail (slightly detuned) and occasional Turbo. Have to say I was managing the range near the end and am considering battery upgrade. I’m 85kg BTW.

50.0 km Mountain Bike Ride on August 25, 2019 by Mark M. on Strava
Yep that concurs with my findings so far. I have just upped the ECO from 15/35 to 25/50 to see if that makes a difference to how often I switch from ECO into trail which I have set at 50/100......and if that therefore increases range. I have found on most of my longer rides that my legs seems to have more power after a bout 20 minutes of riding. During those first 20 minutes I use trail more often. After 20 minutes I almost forget I am in ECO and use trail only for lengthy climbs. I am about to do a 25+ mile group ride on completely unknown trails so want to make sure my range is good without blowing a piston!!

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Yep that concurs with my findings so far. I have just upped the ECO from 15/35 to 25/50 to see if that makes a difference to how often I switch from ECO into trail which I have set at 50/100......and if that therefore increases range. I have found on most of my longer rides that my legs seems to have more power after a bout 20 minutes of riding. During those first 20 minutes I use trail more often. After 20 minutes I almost forget I am in ECO and use trail only for lengthy climbs. I am about to do a 25+ mile group ride on completely unknown trails so want to make sure my range is good without blowing a piston!!

I did something similar, I upped my ECO slightly so now I rarely use the TRAIL setting and I get more Ks out of my battery.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Other than hills and weight many factors count. Energy suckers might be suspension, tires, surface, bad habits, etc... The important is the real, not the estimate. I can stretch my 500Wh to 7 hrs or empty it in 3.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yep that concurs with my findings so far. I have just upped the ECO from 15/35 to 25/50 to see if that makes a difference to how often I switch from ECO into trail which I have set at 50/100......and if that therefore increases range.

It's interesting reading peoples "modes" when people are using different bikes/motors and comparing.

Having just switch from E8000 to a Kenevo it's amazing how differently the motors deliver power and how the modes are quite different.

Quickly flicking back to range : When I first got the E8000 I could fairly easily ride 100km's on a charge, 6 months later I was lucky to get 50km's. Not because of battery degradation - purely because over those six months I'd changed and now ride a lot harder and faster with ever increasing average speeds, on increasingly more difficult terrain. 6 months ago, my average speed was 10-12kph. Now I always push to try and have an average speed 24/25 kph. So how you ride makes an enormous difference to battery usage.

Back to Modes .. on the E8000 I'd use eco to try and extend range between difficult sections, general riding would be trail and uphill KOM hunting would be Turbo as required.

With the Kenevo, even though I've backed it off, Eco is much more similar to the E8000 trail mode - not as high, but similar. To the point that whilst I'm getting used to the bike (but going faster than I was on the E8000), I'm mainly using ECO with turbo on hard climbs. So it's going to take some time to adjust to the different modes and find the right time to use the Kenevo Trail mode.

The Kenevo also seems to eat battery compared to the E8000, but then the motor has more torque, and that doesn't come for free. I also think that over 6 months/1600km's on the E8000 my subconscious had learnt to be lazy and found the sweet spots with the E8000 for power/cadence required to have minimum effort in for maximum output . Obviously I don't have that yet on the Kenevo, my subconcious is still trying to get to grips with the reality of how quick the damned thing goes everywhere whilst still staying upright.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You definitely need time to learn how each support level responds. I have trail set at 50/100 and turbo at 100/100. The other day I was in trail on a climb but found myself in too high a gear and my cadence was dropping fast. There was no opportunity to do the slight pause rewuired to change down so I went to turbo. It made no difference at all! I know the reason. Cadence was too slow. Turbo really needs good forward planning to get into a low gear. Then the bike will climb better than a moutain goat.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
So many variables. Ran my 500wh battery flat in 90 min at a bike park, trail mode 17km and 4,300 feet.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The different modes are just names. It is the motor support level that is meaningful especially when the support level of each mode can be user modified as is the case with the Levo/ Kenevo...and I assume with the Shimano App? Are all the various motors controlled by both torque and cadence or are some torque only?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Took my fully charged stock 2019 Levo Comp (500Wh) out at the weekend, 50km and 746m (approx 30 miles & 2000ft old money) with 11% left on return. Mostly Eco/Trail (slightly detuned) and occasional Turbo. Have to say I was managing the range near the end and am considering battery upgrade. I’m 85kg BTW.

50.0 km Mountain Bike Ride on August 25, 2019 by Mark M. on Strava

I think Mark's ride is a great example of man and machine both working their asses off and a good example of potential expected range if you're riding quite hard.

can be user modified as is the case with the Levo/ Kenevo...and I assume with the Shimano App?

Yes, you can mod these on the shimano app too in basically the same way.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
The different modes are just names. It is the motor support level that is meaningful especially when the support level of each mode can be user modified as is the case with the Levo/ Kenevo...and I assume with the Shimano App? Are all the various motors controlled by both torque and cadence or are some torque only?
Many use more than 2 sensors. If it was logic, a 250 motor would last a minimum of 2 hours from 500Wh but they have the right to be more powerfull. It is just a rating that is accepted legally more like **on average **. My display shows the energy used in real time and it does fluctuate a lot when you sprint going up or when facing the wind and a wind gust hits.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Nominal power output of a motor is pretty meaningless though. Most can output a lot more. Torque at various cadences is a better guide.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
With a 504Wh, either in my Levo (Brose) or my Scott (Shimano) I get around 40km on my standard loop which has 600+ metres of climbing. That is mostly in Eco mode with maybe 2km in trail mode and 250-300m in turbo. Taking into acount the decent climbs my average speed of 13kph is not too bad. Bearing in mind I am a fat basket, range was the reason I bought the Levo - so I could use the 700Wh battery.

Took an easier ride yesterday along the Waikato River trail.
Out was 15.4km with 189metres climbing and 22.3kph average speed - was mostly in Trail with Turbo for the climbs. Used 30% of my 700Wh battery.
Coming back was a bit shorter at 12km - 66m climbing and 24.8kph average speed. Used 20% for that.
That gave me 27.5 km for 50% of my 700Wh - but I was in Trail with a lot of Turbo for the climbs. Working with that I should get 55-60km if I am in a hurry and maybe 80km or more at a more leisurely pace. Will neeed to play some more.

I reckon in Eco with trail for the climbs I would drop average speed to the 20kph range and probably use maybe 30%.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
Cube hybrid, Bosch CX motor, 500Wh battery,

The worst mileage I ever had was 27km, going hard turbo up the hill and downhill on trails (one of those days where I really couldn't be bothered)
I normally work with a range of 55km when planning daytrips on singletrail and fire roads. This is with 5kg of gear on top of my 87kg weight, and low pressure knobly tires
In winter the bike gets street tires and 2.4bar of pressure. Riding only roads, in eco,I can just barely get to the 100km range.

As said above, the number of blocks in the battery are a better indicator than the 'range' number. The range number is based on your past 5 minutes of consumption.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
As an example my wife has a cube sting with Bosch and power line cx battery. When we were in Scotland, Aviemore, with my 17 yr old Granddaughter we both hired Hiabike hard 7's one day and did the Burma Road loop. 28 miles and around 700m climbing, first section ultra steep. So at the end of the day I had around 5% battery left, wife had around 25% and Granddaughter 50%, she did the whole day on ECO and is lighter than me and the wife. I am the heaviest and did the day on ECO and Tour. My wife did the steep climb on Turbo and spent most of the rest of the day in EMTB mode.
So the biggest factor here was probably weight with me being the heaviest. Also cadence makes a difference. As Kingfisher says range on the Bosch is based on your last 5 mins of riding so if flat and steady then high, if rough, rocky and high - low.

P.S. it was a cracking day out and I bought a Turbo Levo within a week of returning home.

May 29, 2018
california
I did a ride a month ago, levo carbon expert, 700wh battery. It was HOT that day, about 90-95 degree, I was on the bike a little over 4 hrs, 8500' climbing, almost 40 miles, I think I had about 25-30% battery left. Rode a little eco, a little on the mid power and a couple times on turbo (super steep climb that was long, trail called caddilac in OC, worst trail i've ever ridden).

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Had a bit of a touring fang around town today. 50.74km with a 25.3kph average speed and 267M climbing. Had 45% battery left on the 700Wh so will be able to manage that with the 540Wh battery.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Had a bit of a touring fang around town today. 50.74km with a 25.3kph average speed and 267M climbing. Had 45% battery left on the 700Wh so will be able to manage that with the 540Wh battery.

Hey Rusty, what have you got your assist settings at ? I just dropped mine back a bit yesterday after I evaporated 45% of my battery in 14km's / 500m ! It was a very full on 14km's !!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles