E8000 - What’s your range?

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
Would be interesting to hear how much range people are getting, I’m sure mine seems to be reducing. I managed 40km / 2050m today on a full change, in eco all day, and battery was fully totally emptied.

I’m 66kg, reasonablely fit, usually ride 100km per week. The bike is a Canyon Spectral On, but I’m running fairly heavy tires, other than that it’s standard.

Is it time for a new battery...Any thoughts?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sounds fair enough. It's the climbing elevation that used up your battery, not the distance.

I'm a good bit heavier than you but dependent on gradient/terrain get on average 3500-4500ft of elevation from a full charge using Trail or boost on all climbs. I'd maybe get 6000ft using just eco.

Heavy draggy tyres will make a noticable difference to your range. I use a faster rear rolling tyre and run fairly high pressures

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
3500ft and 15 miles on trail mode. Rider weight 65kg. Merida e one sixty.
I would say your battery is fine. Shimano motors are good, but range is not.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Would be interesting to hear how much range people are getting, I’m sure mine seems to be reducing. I managed 40km / 2050m today on a full change, in eco all day, and battery was fully totally emptied.

I’m 66kg, reasonablely fit, usually ride 100km per week. The bike is a Canyon Spectral On, but I’m running fairly heavy tires, other than that it’s standard.

Got a Spectral:On 7.0 being delivered this week. Happy with the bike mate?

Gary's advice about tyre width sounds good. 2.5 is wider tyre I've ever run.

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
Got a Spectral:On 7.0 being delivered this week. Happy with the bike mate?

Gary's advice about tyre width sounds good. 2.5 is wider tyre I've ever run.

It’s a brilliant bike. I live in the French alps and it transformed my riding, pre ebike ridding involved hours of grinding up roads and gravel, followed by a 15min descent, now I can get 3 or 4 descents done in a ride. In terms of the bike, it’s the first bike I’ve bought where I’ve not felt the need to upgrade, everything feels right.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
3500ft and 15 miles on trail mode. Rider weight 65kg. Merida e one sixty.
I would say your battery is fine. Shimano motors are good, but range is not.

What trail setting are you using , Iam around 100 kg and I can kill the battery in 16 miles if I go out and just session my local hill using lots of boost , everything is on the Explorer mode which is medium for both I think but this time of year Iam doing around 24 miles with 3500 feet climbing and still coming back with 2-3 bars of battery . Sometimes our moorland grass is really draggy and boggy meaning your using lower gears all the time in many places . From memory you said your riding heavy tyres so perhaps that’s the problem , getting rid of my original downhill rear tyre helped a bit .
I also get more when it’s warmer , batteries don’t like the cold

Last edited:

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
It’s a brilliant bike. I live in the French alps and it transformed my riding, pre ebike ridding involved hours of grinding up roads and gravel, followed by a 15min descent, now I can get 3 or 4 descents done in a ride. In terms of the bike, it’s the first bike I’ve bought where I’ve not felt the need to upgrade, everything feels right.

Brilliant. Glad you're happy mate. Cant wait for mine to turn up. First ebike. Had surgery start of this year and just can't quite manage what I used to on a bike now but the motor will massively help.

Loads of fuss about the Levo right now but the spec on the Canyon for the price seems fantastic and despite what most state as fact on this forum I'm sure the Shimano motor isn't that far behind the Brose.

Last edited:

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Nothing is wrong with your battery 2050m is awesome, I can get 1600m max. The biggest factor - besides draggy tires - is the weight. You are 66kg I'm 85kg and difference in our range is pretty much the same percentage as the difference in weight.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brilliant. Glad you're happy mate. Cant wait for mine to turn up. First ebike. Had surgery start of this year and just can't quite manage what I used to on a bike now but the motor will massively help.

Loads of fuss about the Levo right now but the spec on the Canyon for the price seems fantastic and despite what most state as fact on this forum I'm sure the Shimano motor isn't that far behind the Brose.

The new Levo is awesome no question about it but the price is too high and the 'budget' models have poor specs. But you can't mention it in the relevant topic because fans will be triggered.
You can get two maxed out Spectrals for the price of the S-Works Levo...
Also, I'm not sure if Shimano is behind Brose. Numbers and charts can be thrown around but the max 250W continuous power and the 25kph assist is a limiting factor.

Mark

May 6, 2018
Sydney
I get around 40km on mostly fire trails with occasional D/H and some climbing. I'm 95kg
I can stretch it to 70km if riding on sealed roads, with a mix of eco and trail medium on the big hills. Merida 160 900E Awesome bike with reliable and strong motor.

Last edited:

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
I'm 78kg and dont do big rides but havent even knocked 2 battery lights off and I use trail and boost and these are about 15-20km rides. Hardtail though if that makes any difference

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
The new Levo is awesome no question about it but the price is too high and the 'budget' models have poor specs. But you can't mention it in the relevant topic because fans will be triggered.
You can get two maxed out Spectrals for the price of the S-Works Levo...
Also, I'm not sure if Shimano is behind Brose. Numbers and charts can be thrown around but the max 250W continuous power and the 25kph assist is a limiting factor.

Yeah completely agree. Far better value bikes. Spec matches the ability and purpose of the bike I think.

Crud249

Sep 22, 2018
Oswestry

As some have said, tyres make a huge difference. I had 2.35 magic mary on 29ers on my 2017 levo comp. Then switched back to 27.5 but with the 2.6 magic mary super soft Addix compound. The difference is clear! The bigger softer tyres have a much lower rolling speed and this eats the battery. If I had to guess I'd say these tyres reduced battery life by up to 20% compared to the 29ers with small tyres.

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
I got around 1.600hm and 50/60km's on my holiday in the Alps. I'm 70kg's and ride a Merida E-Onesixty with a Minion 2.8 on the front and a Rekon 2.8 on the rear.

Did most of the offroad climbing in eco (riding with non-ebikers) and then I got around 1.100hm in 40km's using about half the battery.
Used the rest of the battery on the tarmac-climbs, going uphill with 20km/h in boost :)

I guess if I would climb most of the time in eco I would get around 2.000hm out of a full battery. So the range in the first post sounds normal to me.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
On my Sommet I've emptied the battery twice. One was a 5000ft 24 mile ride on mainly rocky stuff all in Eco. Other was on 4000ft 20 mile ride with softer ground conditions and needing to use a bit of boost to get up a particularly wed and slippery climb (which used a bar in itself).

I've done 24 miles and 3000ft in the lakes and still had a bar left at the end - mainly eco - odd bit of trail and minimal boost for very short sections.

I'm about 85kg in my riding gear and on my normal bike i'm done after 3000ft and 20 miles.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Apart from elevation being a key factor, speed is also importaint. When I'm with guys on push bikes, I can do more miles and elevation. As for the tyres I'm using, have tried 2.8 minions, 2.8 magic Mary's and now on 2.6 dh magic Mary's. Trail mode is set to middle.

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
I am 95 Kg,Bosch Performance CX on Cube Stereo 160 with M.Mary 2,60 front supergravity and Nobby Nic rear
Maximum 1.500 m. Of elevation and 60-70 Km

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
40 miles and 4500ft - wow that's impressive!!
not really..
I've used one whole battery in around 10 miles but it was 4000ft of steep climbing/descending all in boost and some of that climb is always soft/muddy (total time 1hr15)
4500ft over 40 miles isn't very hilly.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I find the faster you go, the longer the battery lasts, because you are using less assistance - i don't mean riding above the cut off, but i find when i am having one of those days where i feel particularly "on it" and am charging around, i am using less assistance and get more range.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
I have noticed the less stop/start a ride is the less juice I'm using too. Too many bloody gates over this way

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
I guess the advice would be the same as extending the range on a car. Slow acceleration, steady speed and not to go fast. Not much fun though, but it might just get you home.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My understanding of the system is that it uses more energy if you are going up hill at a slow cadence, as it is suppporting you more, whereas if you are using a higher cadence it doesn’t need as much support.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'd agree with your take on assist vs cadence.
Funnily enough I'm just back from the BMX track with the kids. I took the Esommet just to see what it was like now it doesn't cut out at 15mph... In all honesty... it was terrible! slower than my BMX or hardtail (to sprint) and just heavy as hell. it's incredibly difficult to sprint once you get past around 110rpm as by then it just seems to give you less assist, Not enough to overcome the weight of the thing. Less acceleration than than a lightweight single speed non-Ebike. couldn't even link two straights as I couldn't get enough acceleration out of the berms to jump the following straight.
Yeah.. .I know, a 170mm travel mountain bike is never going to be the one at a BMX race track but even riding it with the rear locked out and making every downslope perfectly it just lost speed when you got back on the pedals. (compared to the usual bikes I ride there).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles