Weight help please

Drebins2003

Oct 23, 2019
North wales
Hi everyone just have a question for all you boffins I’m 6ft & 127kg and I’m losing the use of my legs but I’m interested in buying a emtb because I need to start a hobby but the problem i have is there’s a lot of bikes with weight limits so do any of you know what bike to go for that exceeds my weight limit many thanks ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@RobbieBear was exactly your weight and went for a Giant :

Giant weight loss. Here I come! - EMTB Forums

The 2020 Meridas are 140kg TOTAL - bike and rider, I think ..

The 2020 Haibikes are 120kg total - bike and rider

Mondraker, max 120 TOTAL.

@YrianX is about 120kg's and is building up a carbon s-works Levo.

@Macone is 115kg's and Rides a Focus Jam 2

@EbikeCurious is about 115kg's (I think) and went for a Kona

The Aluminum Levo's I believe are rated upto and around your weight.

Edit. Apologies if I got anyone's details wrong.

And I forgot @outerlimits . Levo. 110kgs. Not sure if that's his real weight or his "internet" weight. I think he was trying to explain yesterday that he was quite dense, so maybe take what he says with some caution.

Last edited:

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
You should be fine with a lot of them honestly,

I was about your weight a while back and still rode my Scott Spark analog carbon bike quite hard without problems (trails and some bike park stuff, w/ crashes.)

Mostly it seems the weight limit is the function of the wheels on the bike more than anything else. (very often the bikes with carbon wheel sets have less total weight recommendations)

Also keep in mind the manufacturers do not know how customers will ride their bike so they start off with the worst possible scenario for that type of bike, then add margins.

at 127kg you should be fine as long as you don't huck of 2m cliffs to flats, roll over rock rolls with huge compressions in the bottom rolling out of it etc..

Just make sure to get sturdy forks and good rear shock ( I would recommend something with a 35mm stanchion at least (Rockshox lyrik or possibly Pike), preferrably the FOX 36 e-bike version maybe? In the rear I had very good experience with both the Fox DPS and a Rock shox Super deluxe.... You will be more or less maxing out the air pressure in the fork to get the correct sag and almost maxing it out in the back most likely...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I believe that you will be fine. Your current state of health means that you will not be doing big jumps or riding the bike hard enough to be of concern. Therefore ride the bike as often as you can and enjoy it. Give it a year and your weight will have fallen, your health and skills will have improved, and you might even be thinking of a different emtb! :LOL:
Best of luck!

Last edited:

Drebins2003

Oct 23, 2019
North wales
Perhaps ring up someone like Orange (they’re in Halifax)? They hand build the frames so will have a very good feel for how well engineered they are.
That’s a good idea but iv heard they are very exspensive and I’m looking to spend around the 4K mark and the cube 160 has a weight limit of 136kg I think.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Anything built in the UK by hand is going to be more pricy, yes. They have an ex-demo Alpine 6E for 5k at the moment but I’d ring them to check. I love my Surge, and boy is it over engineered.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
@RobbieBear was exactly your weight and went for a Giant :

Giant weight loss. Here I come! - EMTB Forums

The 2020 Meridas are 140kg TOTAL - bike and rider, I think ..

The 2020 Haibikes are 120kg total - bike and rider

Mondraker, max 120 TOTAL.

@YrianX is about 120kg's and is building up a carbon s-works Levo.

@Macone is 115kg's and Rides a Focus Jam 2

@EbikeCurious is about 115kg's (I think) and went for a Kona

The Aluminum Levo's I believe are rated upto and around your weight.

Edit. Apologies if I got anyone's details wrong.

And I forgot @outerlimits . Levo. 110kgs. Not sure if that's his real weight or his "internet" weight. I think he was trying to explain yesterday that he was quite dense, so maybe take what he says with some caution.
Hey @Zimmerframe, I’m 106 kg nude so about 110 kg kitted up. (Stop imagining me nude, stop it !) So I added about 4kg but I should of added a bit more as it’s always sunny here and I do carry 3 litres of water in my camelback.

@Drebins2003 don’t worry too much about weight limits if you just intend on getting mobile on a bike. Unless you are going to be jumping and ripping the trails right from the start. With the right diet and riding your new bike The weight will fall off quickly and you’ll be to fighting weight in no time.

EbikeCurious

Aug 8, 2019
USA
No weight limit on the Kona Remote 160...I’m 115kg and have broken 13 frames so far since starting MTB in 2005. I double checked the weight limit with the Kona people and they confirmed. Super overbuilt...still nice and playful with the 435mm chainstays. Lyrik and the RS SD are solid under my mass and have been fine for me dropping up to 7ish feet so far (transition, not flat), which is biggest I’ve gone on this bike yet....

Drebins2003

Oct 23, 2019
North wales
There’s so many deals out there don’t know if to go 2020 or go a 2019 and save a few pennies because I can’t see to be much difference really

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
There’s so many deals out there don’t know if to go 2020 or go a 2019 and save a few pennies because I can’t see to be much difference really

I would say if you go for a bike that hasn't got much changes for 2020 , then go 2019 (i.e Levo or similar)

Otherwise, if there are significant changes on the model you want for 2020, I would lean towards the new one,

Then there is the motor stuff, if you want a bosch bike, I would go 2020 due to the new Gen4 motor that is on the new models....

Shimano I'm not sure... rumors there will be a new Shimano motor soon, but who knows... at least not on any 2020 models so far and I doubt we will see it until 2021 at the earliest... And the current Shimano is starting to look at bit dated, even if it is not that old really... And it also has the least torque, that might be a consideration for heavier riders...

I really like the Kona suggestion above though. Kona makes GREAT bikes.

Oh and last point I got... Think about battery. as you are in the higher weight class, that will have an impact on range you can get from the battery so the bigger the better really... 500Wh minimum and preferably 625Wh or 700Wh really.in my opinion.

Last edited:

Drebins2003

Oct 23, 2019
North wales
Lot and lots to consider then buddy as for the torque I know there’s a few bikes out there with a 100 +nm but on average most of them are around the 70to80 mark from what iv seen so better getting one with more torque I suppose ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles