Help choosing bike please

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I considered selling the Powerfly 5 HT numerous times in the past 2-3 years. There it sits…in the rack…most of the time. It’s been the recipient of used parts from the Rail upgrades (I think I suffer from upgraditis) but I can put it into action anytime. The PF5 is great for the maze of tame trails around here, my go-to for family rides, long rides with the better half (also a PF5), a fast commuter in vehicle traffic, the ultimate touring bike for our central-BC-wine-adventure, challenging eMTB rides on our mountain …hmmm, I guess I like this bike also. 🤷‍♂️

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
It is a good bike - we were out today - had three of them booked for hire (the only emtb I can hire locally). Wanted to see how it was again. It's nice. It was fine on most of the Swaledale trail. Although we stopped at the steep hill going up which was muddy and narrow. It wasn't good in thick mud on the level and didn't have walk assist. Wasn't so great going downhill rough gravel either - not quite as stable as it could have been. But it was fine on the rest of the trail. Really like emtb mode :).

I think something with full suspension and walk mode would be better on all surfaces and levels.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
And something with a dropper post. Still had the odd difficult getting on and off. Fell over once :) . Brakes are very sharp so if you brake to get off it can be a bit painful hitting the crossbar! But that's just getting used to it. OH (68) and our 14 year old found them great too - OH also thought rear suspension would help (both skinny).

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
That's more specific to me - I only seem to be able to get off left sided and that's the side I wear a weird boot on my foot. Which is fine mostly but harder to keep balance standing getting off on uneven surfaces. So a dropper post would help. My right foot has a normal shoe but can't seem to get off right sided - it doesn't feel right.

I have a long standing left foot injury - hence the weird boot. Both my knees are knackered. But I have no knee pain whatsoever cycling an e bike. Which is great. Just need to work out getting on and off easier. The lower stepover of the PF FS4 would help.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Magped Enduro peddles on both my HT and FS. Flat peddles were frustrating and clips were almost impossible. Narrowed that down to medical issues (neurological), but the magnetic peddles were the answer. Seems to be a much different action then flats or clipless.
A good dropper helps too.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There’s different strengths of magnets available also(3).
ACD83D0E-863E-4A3D-A055-A0EDAA822068.jpeg
E843EADC-294D-451F-A3FB-1B5BE89FE286.jpeg

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Thanks. That looks very interesting. I'm not sure it would help with my left foot as it's more a case of getting my footing on the ground when getting off. The only reason I fell over today was a) I was in thick mud and b) I let go of one handlebar lol. I was just standing there fiddling with the speed unit. Kind of just slid over. Won't do that again. My left boot is actually quite good for staying on pedals as it's a bit wider than most shoes.

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Thanks. That looks very interesting. I'm not sure it would help with my left foot as it's more a case of getting my footing on the ground when getting off. The only reason I fell over today was a) I was in thick mud and b) I let go of one handlebar lol. I was just standing there fiddling with the speed unit. Kind of just slid over. Won't do that again. My left boot is actually quite good for staying on pedals as it's a bit wider than most shoes.

I’m disabled, wear a brace on my left foot, have severely limited range of motion in both feet (I basically pedal with my heels), and a host of other issues.

I’ve basically found that I figure out ways to compensate for everything. LOL. I just seem to find ways to do things that work for me.

I do have a dropper but I don’t even use it. I’m about to upgrade the stock brakes on the PW5 to 4-piston brakes so I think I’ll be removing the dropper then. I really thought I’d use the dropper more but the damn release has NEVER worked properly so I’ve had to say fuck it.

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Oh, and I meant to comment on pedals. I’ve looked in to the magnetic ones but, thus far, I’ve stuck with flats. I just feel better about them.

However! After catching tons of air at a clinic this past weekend, I’ve decided I’d like to learn to do drops and jumps. Because of my disability and my issue with keeping my feet on the pedals, I suspect a set of the magnetic ones may be in my future.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
… I suspect a set of the magnetic ones may be in my future.
Magnetic peddles may not be for everyone and they take some getting use to. In the past I’ve always clipped in on road bikes. When I started Emtb’ing, and after my stroke, I had to use flats. The problem was, my left foot couldn’t find the peddle so most of the time I had to stop. This was frustrating when your in the middle of a climb, a DH run or trail.
Funny thing; I sat down at my coffee table one night and started to design some magnetic peddles for myself. Pretty clever eh? Until I googled “Magnetic bike peddles”. I had to laugh at myself …there they were, all over the internet. Probably saved myself time and thousands of dollars $$$.😆

So now the alignment of my foot is fast and fairly precise. I also hear an audible click when engaging …which also helps. There is a different action needed for disengagement but after a few rides I don’t even think about it. But so far it’s the answer for me.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
I’m disabled, wear a brace on my left foot, have severely limited range of motion in both feet (I basically pedal with my heels), and a host of other issues.

I’ve basically found that I figure out ways to compensate for everything. LOL. I just seem to find ways to do things that work for me.

I do have a dropper but I don’t even use it. I’m about to upgrade the stock brakes on the PW5 to 4-piston brakes so I think I’ll be removing the dropper then. I really thought I’d use the dropper more but the damn release has NEVER worked properly so I’ve had to say fuck it.
Any tips for getting on and off while keeping your footing?! For some reason I can only get off left sided. Which is annoying as that's the side I wear the built up boot - which has a kind of rocker underneath. Whereas my right foot I wear a grippy trainer.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Oh, and I meant to comment on pedals. I’ve looked in to the magnetic ones but, thus far, I’ve stuck with flats. I just feel better about them.

However! After catching tons of air at a clinic this past weekend, I’ve decided I’d like to learn to do drops and jumps. Because of my disability and my issue with keeping my feet on the pedals, I suspect a set of the magnetic ones may be in my future.
Notice you have the Powerfly 5 as well. What tyres do you have on it please? I like riding it but found downhill rough gravel it's not great at the back end (as in not very stable and a bit skitty). However that was a hire bike - no idea what tyre pressures were and assume it had the stock 2.3 tyres.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Have a dropper post fitted really helps getting your leg over i fitted a maxxis high roller 2 on wifes trek powerfly 5 on the back and it grips well on the trails 29 x 2.3

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Have a dropper post fitted really helps getting your leg over i fitted a maxxis high roller 2 on wifes trek powerfly 5 on the back and it grips well on the trails 29 x 2.3

Thanks. So am now starting to think - hardtail, wider tyres for rear stability, dropper seat post. Easier to maintain than full suspension. I was looking at the Cube Reaction Hybrid pro 625 online. It already has 2.6" tyres (as opposed to the 2.3" on the Trek Powerfly). Seems popular as well. Just wondering if that would be a good option. There's a trapeze version as well (lower step through) - but out of stock everywhere. There's also the Specialized turbo tero 4 with step through option - but expensive. As much as a full suspension Trek.

A compromise somewhere - full suspension locked down for road or hardtail with bigger tyres for off road. Hmm.

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
Hardtail might also have an advantage getting on and off. Rear suspension sags as you get on, so starts off higher up.

But big, soft tyres eat up the battery. Fine if you need them in tricky conditions. I get a lot more range out of a full battery if the tyres are hard, and it's noticeable coasting down hill (on a hard surface) that I'll get up more speed.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Might get to the bike shop in Pickering next week to look at the Trek FS PF4 and Trek Rail 5. Found a downside to the FS4 already - specs say the maximum tyre size you can fit is 2.4. It comes with 2.3's. Trek describes it as a more comfortable geometry for beginners though (presumably compared to the Rail 5). The rail 5 does come with 2.6 tyres though. Assume by more comfortable geometry it means slightly more upright.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Might get to the bike shop in Pickering next week to look at the Trek FS PF4 and Trek Rail 5. Found a downside to the FS4 already - specs say the maximum tyre size you can fit is 2.4. It comes with 2.3's. Trek describes it as a more comfortable geometry for beginners though (presumably compared to the Rail 5). The rail 5 does come with 2.6 tyres though. Assume by more comfortable geometry it means slightly more upright.

Out of all the bikes you’ve mentioned I’d go for the Rail 5 if you can afford it, and if they’re not in stock, get one on order and wait, even if it takes six months.

Slamming the dropper to get on and off becomes second nature, and I always tilt the bike around 30 deg too when getting on. I also always climb on the left hand side, don’t know why, right hand side just feels wrong and I get cramp when I swing my leg over 😆

Upgrades to tyres, drivetrain, wheels, fork, shock etc can all be done later as and when you need to but the Rail 5 is a great frame to start with

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Thanks - that is really helpful. Hadn't occurred to me to look at Yorkshire bike places - it's over the border :) . It's quite a way from here but only a couple of hours drive for a day out - might look at that next week.
Whereabouts in the North East exactly ..where I'm living TubbyG is a southerner ! 😂..
There are loads of decent bike shops in Newcastle/ Northumberland ..even Cumbria ..I live in N.W.Northumberland ..so also had to travel for the bike I wanted and ended up going to Wheelbase at Staveley who have a massive range of bikes and also offer 36month 0% interest...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Slamming the dropper to get on and off becomes second nature, and I always tilt the bike around 30 deg too when getting on. I also always climb on the left hand side, don’t know why, right hand side just feels wrong and I get cramp when I swing my leg over 😆
What is it with the left-side-mounting? I do the same thing. 🤔
The Rail 5 is a good all-rounder especially if upgrades are in your future. 👍🏻

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Whereabouts in the North East exactly ..where I'm living TubbyG is a southerner ! 😂..
There are loads of decent bike shops in Newcastle/ Northumberland ..even Cumbria ..I live in N.W.Northumberland ..so also had to travel for the bike I wanted and ended up going to Wheelbase at Staveley who have a massive range of bikes and also offer 36month 0% interest...
Border of North Yorkshire and County Durham. Out in the sticks :). So anywhere is a fairly long journey.

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
I’ve just bought a mondraker Chaser R , I live in Cumbria , scaled the internet serching for stock. Found what I was looking for in Staffordshire, True North Cycle hub , Jamie and Ali wee Great, set the suspension up for me, offered me a drink etc , they were really help full. Been in some bike shops and and soon as you walk through the door , they say can I help you ? Or feel like your getting watched , when maybe, you just wanna have a nosey and see if anything takes your fancy. Anyhow, this mondraker is fantastic , and an orbea wild hard tail, before this new one , a great bike again but glad I upgraded to fulls sus. Lock out the suspension, and feel not much different to a hard tail , so best of all worlds. Great looking bike as well.

5F149632-1751-472A-9911-31969B698CA9.jpeg

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Notice you have the Powerfly 5 as well. What tyres do you have on it please? I like riding it but found downhill rough gravel it's not great at the back end (as in not very stable and a bit skitty). However that was a hire bike - no idea what tyre pressures were and assume it had the stock 2.3 tyres.

I had initially planned to issue use the Powerfly for bikepacking but, since it’s ridiculous to swap the battery (because of the attached housing plate), I instead use my Priority Embark.

I mention this because I bought tires with multiple riding surfaces in mind. Currently running Bontrager XR3 in the front and LT4 Expert on the rear, both 29 x 2.4.

May switch back to the stock knobbies that it came with at some point. But, thus far, I’ve gotten surprisingly good traction on our sandy desert trails with these running 18 psi front and rear.

I don’t find the back end particularly “loose”, tbh. That may be more due to my riding style, I’m not a push-it-hard-downhill kind of a rider.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Border of North Yorkshire and County Durham. Out in the sticks :). So anywhere is a fairly long journey.

Another place worth checking out which will be closer to you is Dales Bike Centre in Reeth. Hire fleet is Trek, they’re also a Trek dealer, and really helpful & friendly. It’s a tiny little shop but they buy in plenty of Trek bikes

Great cafe too, and loads of riding to do in the Yorkshire Dales in the immediate Swaledale area

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Another place worth checking out which will be closer to you is Dales Bike Centre in Reeth. Hire fleet is Trek, they’re also a Trek dealer, and really helpful & friendly. It’s a tiny little shop but they buy in plenty of Trek bikes

Great cafe too, and loads of riding to do in the Yorkshire Dales in the immediate Swaledale area
Thanks. That's where we hired from the other day :) They only hire out Powerfly 5's though.

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Definitely go full suspension of you will be riding anything rougher than bike paths. Don't worry too much about pedaling efficiency... you've got a motor. I developed back problems on my hardtail years ago and have had three FS bikes since, with no back issues.

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
Definitely go full suspension of you will be riding anything rougher than bike paths. Don't worry too much about pedaling efficiency... you've got a motor. I developed back problems on my hardtail years ago and have had three FS bikes since, with no back issues.
I had a hard tail , suffered with bulging discs last year , maybe through the hard tail🤷‍♂️, ended up in the hospital in may and august , could not stand up for 12 days, mental pain I was in. Hence my spending 5grand on a full suspension bike now. Only been out twice , but feel way better .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles