Help choosing bike please

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Hello. I've just joined and introduced myself briefly in the newbies thread. So I'm 63 and for the last few years have hired electric mountain bikes when on holiday, so ridden a few different ones (some I can't remember what they were). Also hired them locally for a day out on trails. So am biting the bullet and wanting to buy one and cycle regularly. Except might need to get two so OH can join me! Have some really good trails in my area and have done a couple of those. Initially I thought I'd just be doing the odd level trail and nipping into the nearest village on it for fun and exercise. But the more I thought about it, I want to do more than that - go further, higher and not be too limited by the bike. So although I'm not going to be doing any extreme stuff I've decided I want full suspension.

I have two gammy knees and walking distance is now not an option for exercise, which is why I first hired an electric bike on holiday - and it was great! No problem with the knees. Hence I want to do more!

The bikes I've ridden before were a specialized Turbo Levo twice (great but there were pros and cons and it's out of the price range), a Trek Powerfly 5 - which was fine too except I found the hardtail rough on the rough trails round here and didn't feel as stable. Another one I can't remember the make - one I hadn't heard of before. And a hybrid bike I was told was suitable for trails (It wasn't! It felt very unstable on tree roots).

So ever since I've wanted to get a Specialized Turbo Levo - but a) too expensive b) they keep changing the models c) I did have some issues with the size of it and getting on and off. But I had that with the Powerfly 5 as well. Maybe just practice.

So I've narrowed it down to Trek Powerfly 4FS, Trek Rail 5 and if anyone can suggest anything else I can look at. I'm wondering if the Powerfly 4FS is enough for rougher hilly trails. But also wondering if the Rail 5 is overkill. Quite like the slightly lower looking standover on the Powerfly 4FS.

Sizing - I have always ridden a medium - they are fine riding but seem big for getting on and off. I fall on the cusp of small and medium sizes at 5'6 but most of my height is in my back rather than my legs. Still think medium is the right size for me though, so I'll just have to adapt!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
There’s so many to choose from and they all have their pros and cons

Personally I’d see what bikes your local bike shop is selling, servicing, sourcing spare parts for and dealing with warranty claims. Speak to the bike technician, they will always have an opinion on the problematic brands!

What’s your budget and what is your riding style ? No point splashing the cash on a top spec enduro beast if you’re only going to be riding trail centres, and likewise there’s no point buying an entry level trail bike if your bike is going to be taking a beating in the harsh winter conditions in steep wet & muddy forests

You’ll be looking at spending at least £4.5 - 5k for a decent emtb

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Thanks. We live in the sticks so it's quite a treck to a bike shop. Although not impossible. Nearest one is about 40 miles away (slow roads) but they don't stock any of the brands I'm interested - they mainly seem to have Focus and Kalkhoff bikes.

I'd kind of narrowed it down to a Trek Powerfly FS4 and a Trek Rail 5 (having found them in stock but few and far between in stock). And agree the Rail 5 might be overkill for the riding I'll be doing. Local trails which are part level and partly very steep and hilly with some very rough rocky gravel in places - hence I think full suspension would be good (based on my experiences on a hard tail Powerfly 5 on that trail).

The appeal of the Powerfly FS4 was the low standover. But not sure it's quite the right bike for this kind of riding and the better suspension of the Rail 5 could be better (also reasonable standover). And seems not as overkill as a turbo levo (which I've ridden before and great on any surface but don't really need one).

In terms of actually going at to look at them - that would mean travelling a long way and a lot of places don't seem to have much stock at the moment. Only think I can try locally is the Powerfly 5 again! I liked other elements of the trek - design and motor etc so thought the PF FS4 and rail 5 might be good options.

On the other hand a hard tail would be easier to maintain and better for local road riding round about (4 miles to the nearest village). But when I look at the weight of some of those (the same or more than a full suspension rail 5) it puts me off - especially as not so comfortale on rocky trails.

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
I would go for a full suspension one, hardtail ebikes are just too heavy to ride on trails.

Ok, but seriously. I’ve had my Powerfly 5 for a couple of years now and I freaking love it. And I climb and ride the mountainous desert singletrack gnar of the southern New Mexico desert.

Too heavy for trails. WTF ever.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
HT goes anywhere an FS does - just slower and less comfortable in the really rough. Issue I found was that it's very difficult getting one with good components as the cost puts them into low eschalon FS territory. The cheap ones are under-specd even for smooth trails.
Disclaimer. I now have an FS.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Decisions decisions! Pros and cons. Yes the Powerfly 5 is a nice bike. I liked it. I preferred the full suspension Turbo Levo but not the chunkiness of it.

What tyres do you have on your Powerfly 5? I wondered if wider tyres would be good.

So the Trek Rail 5 is about £1000 more than most of the hardtails I've been looking at. Is that well enough specced? But as I know nothing about bike maintenance (yet!) a hardtail would be simpler. I guess if you want full suspension you have to be prepared for maintenance.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
This bike can also ride any trail and you would need two, with pump and tool bag, to make 24 kilos…
D0A55677-5E34-411B-97C3-DC6D2E73B067.jpeg

And its a trek!
I like to ride it when I need to polish my skills and my joints too :)

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Guessing it's not electric! It looks great. Unfortunately I can only ride an electric bike due to my knees - which is why I love them,

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
It surely is not an ebike, and has a carbon rigid fork!
Just posted it to show that I have experience on riding rigid bikes.
Specially if you have a knee weakness you would only profit riding a full sus ebike, the speeds are faster due to assistance and impacts are harder because of the added weight.
Good luck and nice rides with your choice of bike.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
It surely is not an ebike, and has a carbon rigid fork!
Just posted it to show that I have experience on riding rigid bikes.
Specially if you have a knee weakness you would only profit riding a full sus ebike, the speeds are faster due to assistance and impacts are harder because of the added weight.
Good luck and nice rides with your choice of bike.
Thanks. I'm not worried about the weight particularly, but yes I probably do need to be looking at full suspension.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
HT goes anywhere an FS does - just slower and less comfortable in the really rough. Issue I found was that it's very difficult getting one with good components as the cost puts them into low eschalon FS territory. The cheap ones are under-specd even for smooth trails.
Disclaimer. I now have an FS.
What about the Spec on the Powerfly FS4 and Rail 5? I am thinking probably the Powerfly FS4 would be good - a compromise between hardtail and "better" full suspension (but then compromise sometimes isn't the right thing!).

Wish I could try out a Trek Rail 5 somewhere. We're out on hire bikes again tomorrow (Powerfly 5's again - it's all there is to hire locally) so I can try a few things and see how it is with a hardtail again.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
What about the Spec on the Powerfly FS4 and Rail 5? I am thinking probably the Powerfly FS4 would be good - a compromise between hardtail and "better" full suspension (but then compromise sometimes isn't the right thing!).

Wish I could try out a Trek Rail 5 somewhere. We're out on hire bikes again tomorrow (Powerfly 5's again - it's all there is to hire locally) so I can try a few things and see how it is with a hardtail again.

I notice you’re North East based, is that UK ? If so, the bike shop at Dalby has Trek Rails to hire for the day. Don’t know if they are the 5, but the geometry of the frame will be the same:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If I could only have one eMTB it would be the Trek Rail 5. (If price mattered). A change of tires and some upgrades could easily be done over time. I have both the PF 5 and Rail 9.7. They are both great bikes but I have them setup for different terrain. Speedy tires for the Powerfly 5 and aggressive full suspension and tires for the Rail. On our street the Rail 7 is the most popular. We still get great distance with the Powerfly 5’s(500wh, 60-70km). Not so much with the 625wh Rail because it’s a climbing-friggin-machine. 50km is the best I’ve done on the Rail 9.7…then I slept for a long time 😉.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
I notice you’re North East based, is that UK ? If so, the bike shop at Dalby has Trek Rails to hire for the day. Don’t know if they are the 5, but the geometry of the frame will be the same:

Thanks - that is really helpful. Hadn't occurred to me to look at Yorkshire bike places - it's over the border :) . It's quite a way from here but only a couple of hours drive for a day out - might look at that next week.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
If I could only have one eMTB it would be the Trek Rail 5. (If price mattered). A change of tires and some upgrades could easily be done over time. I have both the PF 5 and Rail 9.7. They are both great bikes but I have them setup for different terrain. Speedy tires for the Powerfly 5 and aggressive full suspension and tires for the Rail. On our street the Rail 7 is the most popular. We still get great distance with the Powerfly 5’s(500wh, 60-70km). Not so much with the 625wh Rail because it’s a climbing-friggin-machine. 50km is the best I’ve done on the Rail 9.7…then I slept for a long time 😉.

Could you explain a bit more please? So do you think the Rail 5 needs some upgrades and a change of tyres? Or is that just for extreme mountain biking (which I don't think I'll be doing!). Assume the PF 5 is mainly for road and the Rail 9.7 for mountain biking.

So are you saying the Rail 5 might not be that great on road? I guess that's why I was also looking at the Powerfly FS4 - as more of a do it all bike (but think the rail 5 would be much better off road).

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East

That bike shop has the Rail 5 and the Powerfly FS4 :).

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've emailed them to see what they've got in stock.

Dalby Cycle Hub are just a small bike shop that mainly deal with hiring bikes for the trail centre there, but they are part of Big Bear Bikes which is a few miles down the road in the town of Pickering. Big Bear are one of North Yorkshire’s premier Trek dealers and sell loads of Rails

If you call Big Bear and let them know you’re serious about buying a Trek, they’ll probably let you ride a demo bike at Dalby for free or for a very small fee compared to their usual hire prices, or knock the hire price off the final price when you buy:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Peddlers in Redcar have also had decent stock over the last couple of years when every other bike shop have had none:

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m not familiar with the PF FS 4. Only the PF 4(hardtail). I personally don’t use the Rail on the road because I have aggressive tires for the mountain trails. It’s kinda over-kill but it’s fine occasionally. A fast rolling tire is better for tame trails and road. If you’re concerned just match the tire to your most used riding style…or get two sets of tires. ie; winter/summer or road/trail.
I don’t think you can go wrong with a Rail5.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
So are you saying the Rail 5 might not be that great on road? I guess that's why I was also looking at the Powerfly FS4 - as more of a do it all bike.
The Rail 5 would be good for the road when you lockout the shock (becomes a hardtail). It’s better with faster rolling tires, but knobby aggressive tires are fine …just over kill for road conditions imo.
I use the PF5 (hardtail) on the mountain trails here when I want a challenge. I then install the aggressive tires.
When I ride the local trails, the flats or road, I use a faster rolling tire(less grip).
Fortunately I have both a hardtail and a full suspension. Family day-riding is always with the hardtail and the correct tire choice. I probably ride the Rail full suspension 90% of the time though.
D43740CA-1AAA-4E66-9BE8-BC190AD905F5.jpeg
FA652DEA-772E-40B3-B932-80F24E94725D.jpeg

Ignore the battery cover colour on the hardtail. 🤮I was just draining the battery that day from another bike. Anyways, I hope that makes sense but that’s my style of riding 🥴.

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
Dalby Cycle Hub are just a small bike shop that mainly deal with hiring bikes for the trail centre there, but they are part of Big Bear Bikes which is a few miles down the road in the town of Pickering. Big Bear are one of North Yorkshire’s premier Trek dealers and sell loads of Rails

If you call Big Bear and let them know you’re serious about buying a Trek, they’ll probably let you ride a demo bike at Dalby for free or for a very small fee compared to their usual hire prices, or knock the hire price off the final price when you buy:

Thanks. They have the Powerfly FS4 in stock - all the Rails say "special order" - but I guess they are selling fast so hard to keep in stock. Will check out the place in Redcar too (although Pickering easier to get to).

Stella63

Apr 9, 2022
North East
I’m not familiar with the PF FS 4. Only the PF 4(hardtail). I personally don’t use the Rail on the road because I have aggressive tires for the mountain trails. It’s kinda over-kill but it’s fine occasionally. A fast rolling tire is better for tame trails and road. If you’re concerned just match the tire to your most used riding style…or get two sets of tires. ie; winter/summer or road/trail.
I don’t think you can go wrong with a Rail5.
Thanks :) It would be nice if I could try both. But as the difference in price isn't that much - the Rail 5 is tempting. Except not in stock to try.

The difference in price between them is only £50. Although that's with 625 on the PF FS4 and 500 on the Rail 5 (couldn't see a Rail 5 625 at that shop). The Rail 5 has the better fork, the FS4 has the lower stepover - but both look ok.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
If knees are a concern, definitely an FS. On a HT your legs are the suspension and you spend most of the time out of the seat - which you've probably already realised.
My new FS is harder work on the smooth but much better on the rough. I suspect a change of tyre to something faster rolling and less enduro would help since I don't go anywhere near the bikes potential off road. My Sight VLT has a rear lockout but tbh it's not vital.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles