Please help me choose a bike!

dukeofwails

Sep 15, 2022
Atchison, KS
Hi all. Sorry if this isn't a good place for this post, but I'm new here.
I currently ride a Specialized Fuse 6Fattie Comp, but realllllly want a full suspension eMTB. I've done some test riding, and am leaning towards certain bikes, and some I haven't ridden. I'd like advice on making a decision. Lots of good options out there.

I've looked closely at the Turbo Levo Comp alloy, It's a fantastic bike, but I don't LOVE the Brose motor. It's also quite a bit more expensive than the other options for the same level component spec.

That said, I'm currently deciding whether to just pony up and buy the Canyon Spectral ON CF 8, or wait to see what Trek does to the Rail 7 for 2023.

I don't have too much of a preference of carbon fiber over alloy. In this case it's not much lighter.

The canyon has a significantly larger battery. 900wh vs. 625 on the current Rail 7.

I love the punchiness and eMTB setting of the Bosch motor on the Rail 7. But don't have much experience with the Shimano ep8 motor on the Canyon. I don't love the Bosch controller on the 7 (kiox is fine, but the bulky one on the 7 is obtrusive), but supposedly Bosch is coming out with a new more ergnomic/clean controller for 2023.

The Rail 7 is a full 29'er with the ability to make it a mullet. The Canyon is a mullet only.

Here's a couple big parts.

The Canyon seems to be tax free. But will I have to pay duties?

Also the Canyon is available NOW. with the Trek I'd have to wait until the '23 models are announced, and then probably wait around 6 month's for it to actually come in to my LBS.

And then someone told me about the Luna X2 Enduro and the Z1 enduro today. They are certainly intriguing.

Please help me decide!!!!

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
If you're in the UK, the Canyon will be free of tax when you buy it butcid have thought you'll need to pay VAT and import duty once it get here. There are online calculators that will give you an idea.

I would personally avoid that situation at all costs. If (when?) something goes wrong, it'll be a nightmare to sort out. Do you want to pack the bike up and post it overseas?

Ref waiting for next year's models, by the time they're available, the next big thing will have been announced so then you'll want to wait for that. Once that arrives, something better will be just around the corner so you'll wait for that instead. Personally, I'd say get what you want sooner rather than later. Or if you do wait a while, whatever is left from this year's stock will likely be cheaper once the new models are released. You just run the risk of the model you want selling out.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Check out the cube stereo hybrid models. 750w battery, Bosch motor, good pricing (compared to everything else) and the kiox display.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
I'm very happy with my 22 TL Comp Alloy. Specialized warranty and service is hard to beat. I also like how much quieter my Brose motor is compared to my partners Bosch CX in her 22 Trek Powerfly 4.

You'll also be happiest with the one you can actually get your hands on.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I love my Levo Pro, got a really good deal on it from Balfe’s during their sale too. I’m a lighter rider, the Brose issues seem to mostly be from riders on the heavier side but we’ll see. I know I’m taken care of if I do have issues though, my local Spesh dealer can have the bike in and out in 2-3 days if it needs a motor replacement.

I refuse to buy anything with a shimano motor, the rattle drives me insane. I’d have a Yeti 160e if they would have went with a different motor, 4 of my 8 bikes are Yetis so I’m definitely a fan.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles