Help me choose a bike for the wife

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
So I thought I would ask you helpful people for some assistance in choosing a bike for my wife. You helped me out and I ended up with a Whyte E-160.

I went out the other week and she ended up coming with me and hiring a Trek Rail 7, she also came to Llandegla with me and hired a Nukeproof Megawatt. She is a novice but seemed to pick it up quickly.

The budget is around £4500 and I've narrowed it down to a few bikes, I'm just unsure what will be the most beginner friendly. Ideally something with a big battery. I'm not sure if a beginner would be better with a 29er, 27.5 or a mullet or if it won't make much difference.

The options up to now are:

Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC SL 27.5 750
Vitus E-Sommet VRS
Trail Rail 7
Specialized Turbo Levo
Nukeproof Megawatt Comp

On paper the Cube is looking the best, it's got the biggest battery, a Bosch motor, good components for the price but it only comes in a 27.5.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
So I thought I would ask you helpful people for some assistance in choosing a bike for my wife. You helped me out and I ended up with a Whyte E-160.

I went out the other week and she ended up coming with me and hiring a Trek Rail 7, she also came to Llandegla with me and hired a Nukeproof Megawatt. She is a novice but seemed to pick it up quickly.

The budget is around £4500 and I've narrowed it down to a few bikes, I'm just unsure what will be the most beginner friendly. Ideally something with a big battery. I'm not sure if a beginner would be better with a 29er, 27.5 or a mullet or if it won't make much difference.

Vitus E-Sommet VRS
Trail Rail 7
Specialized Turbo Levo
Nukeproof Megawatt Comp

On paper the Cube is looking the best, it's got the biggest battery, a Bosch motor, good components for the price but it only comes in a 27.5.

The Cube 140 has 29 inch wheels i believe

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
She’s 5’7” so above average height, but I think she’d be fine on a 27.5, my only concern is maybe it won't be as planted and she gets a bit nervous sometimes. The Cube has a Bosch 750wh so should be great. I did look at the 140 but seems it’s not as well spec'd and also more expensive?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If she is a lot lighter than you, then the battery will take her further. She may not need the same 750Whr battery as you do and a 625 could easily meet her needs. (Or a 500 if you have a 625). That in turn will make the bike lighter and easier for her to manage.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
She's a similar weight to me, I'm 72kg and she is around 68kg, so not much difference when kitted up.

The 750 and 625 are similar prices so thought it would be best to go for the 750?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
She’s 5’7” so above average height, but I think she’d be fine on a 27.5, my only concern is maybe it won't be as planted and she gets a bit nervous sometimes. The Cube has a Bosch 750wh so should be great. I did look at the 140 but seems it’s not as well spec'd and also more expensive?
My wife is also 5'7" and loves her 2022 Rail 5 Medium. Fits her perfectly but I fitted a OneUp dropper so that she can get her feet flat on the ground and set up the bars and saddle to make her comfortable. If I was buying now I'd go for a 2022 Rail 7 which given current prices is I think is the alloy Rail sweet spot. We have 500wh batteries and we're grandparent so not riding gods. Although we do do stupid stuff ;)

Last edited:

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
She quite liked the Trek Rail 7 that she rode, but she prefers the look of the Cube. I'll take her to sit on one and maybe try one out and see what she thinks. It looks like it's got a great spec for the price. I think it is narrowed down to the Trek Rail 7 and the Cube as both come with the Bosch.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
The geometry of most frames if it initially feels a little larger for the rider can be easily adjusted for the riders comfort, safety and reach. The dropper post as mentioned above should be a "must have" for the safety factor for instantly planting your feet on the ground, these 50-60 lb bikes go over easily sideways even for men in great shape 🏋️‍♀️(ask me how I know that 😱). I'm 5'9" prefer a large frame with 29 inch wheels. I simple move the seat as far forward on it's rails as it will go. I also rotate the handle bars back which further decreases one's handle bar reach. I like riding a little straighter up anyway for added comfort. And you can always pull the handle bars even closer to you by changing out the handle bar stem as they come in many different lengths and angles for further reach comfort. All of the above an be done by you just by loosening some bolts and adjusting to fit. Even ordering another handle bar stem say from Amazon and changing it out is done by removing and re-installing only 4 bolts.

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Shop around and you can get a new 2022 model cube SL for less than £4500.
I've got the action team version and absolutely love it, the bosch motor is great and that 750w battery is ideal.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Shop around and you can get a new 2022 model cube SL for less than £4500.
I've got the action team version and absolutely love it, the bosch motor is great and that 750w battery is ideal.

Yeah, I’ve seen it for £4399 which seems like great value. Going to take her tomorrow to see one and if she likes it will get it ordered.

Thanks for the help again everyone!

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
She’s 5’7” ... she’d be fine on a 27.5, ... she is around 68kg, ...

The 750 and 625 are similar prices so thought it would be best to go for the 750?
The 27.5" is a good choice, and her frame size will be S or M.

She won't have much advantage of the heavier 750Wh battery.
That long 750Wh battery also makes the design of S/M a bit strange, and often isn't offered in S sizes.

Maybe consider a 500Wh model, and a spare 2nd battery for some occasions in the backpack.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I am very satisfied with 27,5 wheels, and a 625 batterie gives me 100 km range.
I have been using a 500 w batterie with an adaptor so that it fits the same space as the 625 an is lighter to be used on a short ride or inside a bacpack.

dalf83

Mar 6, 2022
Germany
After I got into mtb, I managed to get the wife into it too. She got a cube, great specs and value for money. They have 27,5 wheels. That keeps me riding harder with less assistance to keep up. The better specs make her safer and more confident on any terrain. I went with overbiked and good value for money. To be quite honest though…happy wife happy life. Get her the bike she wants, because that means more time together and more time outside. Good luck

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors

Vitus E-Sommet VRS
Trail Rail 7
Specialized Turbo Levo
Nukeproof Megawatt Comp

If there is a Giant retailer close to you check the LIV(female version) of the Etrance, 29, 625Wh

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
She really likes the look of the Cube and she took it for a short ride and liked it so I think that’s the bike for her. I just need to find one in the Desert colour for her as she’s not keen on the Polar Silver but she likes the bike.

Thanks for the help everyone!

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
I did show her the Liv bikes but she’s not a fan, they also don’t seem very well spec’d for the money. I think I’d rather get her more bike than she needs to get her confidence up.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
She really likes the look of the Cube and she took it for a short ride and liked it so I think that’s the bike for her. I just need to find one in the Desert colour for her as she’s not keen on the Polar Silver but she likes the bike.

Thanks for the help everyone!
The decision on both the bike and the colour has been made for you, lucky man! 👍

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
I'm a 5'7" woman and I love LOVE my medium Rail 9.7 with the 625 watt battery. I have been riding for a few years, 29" wheels feel like cheating about as much as having a motor. The 625 watt battery is plenty large for 20 mile rides with 2-3000ft climbing (on emtb mode). I would add tho, that the Rail is really good for Enduro type riding, great at the bike park, great for fast aggressive technical descents, for me the geometry just gives me amazing confidence when descending, but when I am just doing xc type rides, it lacks a little bit of nimbleness and feels very long, I still love it to death, but if I could have a second emtb it would be somewhat lighter and more nimble for xc/trail type riding, but I would never give up my Rail! I did eventually have to get a custom tuned rear shock and then I changed the fork spring and damper to better suit my weight (I am about 60kg) 55years old and having the time of my life!

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I'm a bit late to the party here. One thing I consider to be essential is a dropper post. My wife had an accident on her first emtb without a dropper as she messed up her braking and couldn't properly reach the ground with her feet. I got a new Cube for her with good components and a dropper post and it improved her confidence going downhill immensely.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
So still looking for a bike for her. We went a tested the Cube, it didn't feel very beginner friendly, I found it quite harsh and she said it felt really twitchy, which is probably fine if you know what you are doing, but she is a beginner.

Budget is around £5k, ideally with some sort of 0% finance offer as she is buying it.

I think the Trek Rail 7 would be ideal, even though she isn't keen on the looks.

Something with a Bosch would be great. Is there anything I am missing?

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
The Trek Rail 9 is only £4699, would this be a better choice for her?

Seems better value for money and assuming the resale might be a bit better?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The Trek Rail 9 is only £4699, would this be a better choice for her?

Seems better value for money and assuming the resale might be a bit better?
That's amazing value for money, and pretty much what my wife paid for her Rail 5 in January 2022!

My wife also bought her Rail on 0% finance, and she loves it. She's 5'7"/170cm and Medium fits her perfectly. I've upgraded forks, shock, and converted the wheels to tubeless, but you wouldn't have to do that with a Rail 9 :cool:

Edit 1: But I have cut her handlebars down which were silly wide for her, and raised them a little with a different stem.

Edit 2: Forgot - also replaced the budget dropper post which is another thing you won't have to do on a Rail 9 (although one reason to do so was to make it possible to get her feet flat on the ground).

Last edited:

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
That's amazing value for money, and pretty much what my wife paid for her Rail 5 in January 2022!

My wife also bought her Rail on 0% finance, and she loves it. She's 5'7"/170cm and Medium fits her perfectly. I've upgraded forks, shock, and converted the wheels to tubeless, but you wouldn't have to do that with a Rail 9 :cool:

Edit: But I have cut her handlebars down which were silly wide for her, and raised them a little with a different stem.
Amazing, thank you!

A medium Trek Rail 9 it is :)

I think it will be great for her, it's also a bit lighter than the Cube as well, and we have a Trek dealer 5 minutes away from us for any warranty work which is a big plus.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles