Help choosing a bike!

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Hey!

So I recently got back in to riding, been to Llandegla in wales a few times and hired a Nukeproof, really enjoyed it and would like to buy a bike now.

My budget is around £6k, I think I’ve narrowed it down to a few bikes.

Nukeproof Megawatt 297 Elite
Vitus E-Sommet VRX
Orbea Wild FS H10
YT Industries Decoy MX Core 3

This will be my first e-bike so I’m really in the dark, also open to suggestions. I’m 5’7” and 70kg if that makes a difference and really looking for the best bang for buck, riding will mostly be around Llandegla, Cannock and Dyfi so something that can handle everything and is relatively user friendly.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The best advice I can give is the buy the one that comes from the closest LBS. Those are all great bikes, but trust me (and many others) on this; you do not want to be going back and forth to your dealer when it's a 3-hour round trip, or worse. you may well be a bike maintenance guru, but e-bikes have a whole raft of problems that you will not have seen before.

Twice I have had problems that had defeated me, dropped off the bike and the problem had been solved before I got to the car park. On each occasion I had been looking around the shop area or I would have been in the car and off. Not too bad when it's only a 60-min round trip. On one of those occasions that guy had not actually fixed it, so that would have been two trips just to deliver the bike and a third to collect it.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
It’s a tough choice when getting a new bike. Budget, spec, looks etc. like Steve said buying local is better in case anything goes wrong or just for maintenance on your bike and spares. You have a good budget so the choice is yours. Any of those bikes on your list I would take home………but then I would sell and buy a Whyte. :D (y)

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Great advice to buy local build up a good relationship with your lbs can be vital plenty of bikes for 6k look at a giant too either trance or reign focus and also a specialized now might be in range

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Thanks for the advice guys. So my local store only sell Nukeproof and Orbea out of that list. They can also offer me a Whyte E-160 RS MX for slightly over my budget so I guess it narrows it down to the Megawatt Elite, Orbea or the Whyte. The dealer is around an hour round trip and a friend of mine is very good friends with the owner, so realistically I should be buying from them. Any help out of those 3 would be greatly appreciated!

Cupracraig

Jan 20, 2023
Mendips
i picked up a cube stereo hybrid 140 and have had to go back for a battery on warranty, so i echo the first post in buying from somewhere close by

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
If the whyte is just over budget go and haggle bikes are currently being discounted ive seen it in my lbs go for the thtoat and make them an offer you might be surprised👍👍 they can only say know nowt to lose.

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
I was at Llandegla in the snow last weekend!

My advice would be to demo as many on that list as you can and make your choice from there.

I have a YT Decoy mx Core 4.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
I was at Llandegla in the snow last weekend!

My advice would be to demo as many on that list as you can and make your choice from there.

I have a YT Decoy mx Core 4.
I was also there last Sunday, crazy weather, but still great fun! I think I’m going with the Whyte, the deal I’m getting is too good to pass up and the lbs isn’t far.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
One last thing, they do it in a 27, 29 and Mullet.

Undecided on what to get, 5'7" so I'm thinking the mullet would be best for my height?

The Decoy MX Core 3 is in stock as well, but I'm leaning towards the Whyte for the Bosch instead of Shimano.

I see the Decoy is around 3.5kg lighter, would this be noticeable or not worth worrying about?

Last edited:

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Here it is, thanks for the help everyone!

FCA9C560-2B42-4CCD-9C1D-9BF6EC1CC558.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I do love a black bike! :love:

You just need to replace the decals on the suspension for Fox stealth ones. They are two-tone black that can only be read when the light is angled just so.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles