Battery fault help please ?

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Hello

I would really appreciate some help with a battery issue I have. I think it might be for the bin but I really want to try to avoid this if possible. My mother was given a shopping channel ebike…..please keep reading ?…unfortunately her friend bought it on impulse and never used it…literally…for 2 years until my mum was given it ?
1D47A16A-6F57-4995-B86B-18C535CAE8B8.jpeg

So the problem…no power, no battery charge % LED’s light up when I press the button (I’ve tried holding it too) literally nothing. I’ve tried putting the battery in the bike, switched on…nowt…nothing. Tried riding about switching bike on/off, nothing. Charger immediately goes to green, no red light.
checked the voltage with a multimeter, showing 38.2v

22BD16E1-9BF8-4DF7-89B3-F259EED6155F.jpeg

Opened it to have a look. Couldn’t see anything loose. The bike is literally like new, really want to get it going any help would be greatly appreciated ??
Thanks

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Is that not mV rather than Volts which is suggesting it is totally flat. ?

If that is the case than almost certainly as its 6Sp2 battery ( talk about a torch battery :) ) then one of the cells / Cell group has gone almost open circuit or the BMS has gone and shut the unit down to due to a major imbalance of the cells. You may need to work your way along the group of cells measuring each group.

If all of them are totally flat then have a look on Youtube how to rescue totally flat cells or more likely, chuck the unit in the bin as Lithium cells do not respond very well to a total discharge for any length of time ( normally the BMS disconnects the battery but it itself draws a tiny current to stay awake which can entirely flatten a battery over time ).

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
thank you for the reply ?

Yes you are correct. I’m a total noob with electronics, I just pressed the mode button until I got a reading ? when on Volts it’s .000v

On the other mode -

Which has changed since I last measured it! Maybe it was user error. I literally don’t know what I’m doing (being honest). I’ll have a fiddle about ? but maybe it’s destined for the bin ?

Maybe I could find a similar 24v 4.4Ah battery and just hack/bodge it with zip ties and tape to the frame then use the original connector to connect +\- ?
48DA6CE9-86B8-4B72-9381-77B43EA7F33C.jpeg

D0181CF8-7030-464A-A39D-BD1A53C84403.jpeg

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I wouldn’t go poking about to much if you are a noob with volts and amps, bin it and just buy new. It would be well worth your while going onto Endless-sphere.com and the battery section then create a thread with a few of the battery pictures, almost for sure someone somewhere will recognise the battery and link where to find it.

Or simply get your unit reconditioned

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
sound advice about not poking about if you don't know what you are doing. the one solution I can think of is find the details of the cells and buy replacements and rebuild it, but that's not something for a noob to attempt, the amount you would have to spend on tools & test gear would just outweigh it. just google L-Ion fire if you are still on the fence, they are bloody lethal when they go up, and the cheap Chinese ones even more so as they never have decent protection built in.
so I'd recommend you either send off your battery to a firm to be rebuilt, or buy a new one

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lf the bike has been left two years and never charged up, the battery will almost certainly be dead.
By all means try the "dead battery recovery" ideas but as already mentioned, take care because these cells can burst into flames without warning.

You can probably replace the cells if you can find equivalents, but if you go down that path you are better off replacing all of them.

Also, see if you can locate the manufacturer or distributor, they MIGHT sell you a replacement battery pack.

Long shot, but worth a try.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles