Newbie Help Please, puncture

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Morning All. Just walked in to the office and bike has a total flat on the front.... now as I'm an absolute virgin, 5 days since received - I'm still learning the ins and outs!
For a puncture, in my day, take out the inner tube with some bent spoons and dunk in fairy liquid water, dry, glue, patch and chalk, remount, pump and off you go.
Now what's the score with tubeless?? I have the Maxxis Rekons
Just pumped up and within 5 minutes already softer.... What to do??

IMG_8829.JPG

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Firstly is is set up tubeless? A lot of bikes even if tubeless ready will still come with an inner tube.

If set up tubeless, it won't have an inner tube, and should have sealant in the tyre. Usually if you have had a puncture you would see some of the sealant where the puncture is (white gunk)

Modern MTB tyres can be a bastard to get on an off, bent spoons won't do the trick, and may damage the rime too.

As an aside, the Rekons are not the strongest tyre, I would swap out for a tougher tyre with a stronger casing.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Tubeless ready just means that it can be set up tubeless - check with the shop you got it from if it is

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Unless you asked for it to be set up tubeless, I'd bet money that it won't be.
If you want to stay with tubes, then you need to go tougher (tyres, tubes, maybe armour). Or you could just go tubeless. Loads of stuff on the internet on how to do that, and on here.

Warning: It is harder than experienced people make it look, but waaaaay easier to do than first-timers make it look!. The key is an Airshot tubeless tyre inflater, or similar.

I'd keep the Rekons for now as we are about to enter the Summer, and also with lockdown being like it is you might be doing more tarmac. I bought my bike in Jan last year and the Rekons were impossible in the muddy conditions, so I soon switched to Maxxis HR II. I have just taken them off and replaced the Rekons (still tubeless). I'm hoping that their undoubted smoother rolling will be accompanied by enough grip for the current conditions, or they will be coming off again!

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Thanks Steve_Sordy. I have some sealant on order - looks like the wheels are all taped and have watched a load of UTube videos! So touch wood, we'll be back on the road tomorrow!

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Out of curiosity,what does it cost roughly to get you local to make a bike tubeless..get mine end of the month and I know its tubeless ready..

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
When I bought my Trek the LBS charged £20 to cover the tape and sealant. Probably over the odds but I'd had enough of arguing over the price at that point!

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Well I've not asked for penny off.i do I tend on getting pedals,invisi taped,maybe lights and now tubeless..see what deal they might or might not offer

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Out of curiosity,what does it cost roughly to get you local to make a bike tubeless..get mine end of the month and I know its tubeless ready..
You can do it for as little as £19.50 or as much as £62. As follows....

You will need some tubeless valves: About £12 for two, check you get the correct valve stem length.
Wiggle | Stans No Tubes Universal Valve Stem | Tyre Spares

You will need some sealant: I use Continental Revo Sealant. This is on offer from here. £7.50 watch out for postage. You will need about 120ml per tyre.
Continental Revo Sealant 240ml

If you find sealant leaking out of that tiny hole in your rim (its an air vent), then your rim tape is faulty (not uncommon in my experience)and you may need to replace it. I use Gorilla tape: £2.79 from Amazon 25.4mm wide by 9.14 m long and I get mine in black. It has a woven finish that looks like carbon fibre. Twice around with a 4" overlap centred around the valve hole will do it. Do a strip down either side if you have wide rims, just make sure that you cover the spoke holes with two layers. It looks really cool, but only you will know it's there! I would have posted a link, but I can't get one that doesn't include an Amazon media file

Finally, in theory you don't need this, just a track pump and a strong heart! But I would buy something like the Airshot tubeless tyre inflater. £44.95 (Look out for the money-off code that pops up briefly, it's about £5 off orders above £30). I am still alive today because of this stunning device!
Airshot Tyre Inflator

All you need thereafter is more sealant. Sealant tends to dry out over time and it is no longer effective. But you wont get another flat unless the tyre is damaged so badly that even a tubed tyre would have failed.

Last edited:

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Must admit, even though I have ordered some sealant, I have also booked myself in to the local as they can do at 10 tomorrow - I can do a schooling session for the next time!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles