Waterproof Flat MTB shoes

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
in the UK winter, I switch from my summer-only Five Tens to a Shimano shoe (AM something? they don't make it any more) which whilst not waterproof has a useful flap which goes over the laces. This GR9 seems to be the current version SH-GR900
I have these and they dry quickly

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Do any exist?

Sealskins only seem to hold water on the outside, sloshing around the actual shoes.

Can’t seem to find any flat waterproof (or near waterproof) flat shoes.

Or any other suggestions?

Five Tens and Sealskinz just don’t work well for me.

Thanks
Rob.

@Rob Rides EMTB - I've been using Specialized 2FO Flat 1.0 Mountain Bike Shoes. They're not GoreTex but have a fairly repellant shell and neoprene skirt. They do get wet in creek crossings but don't hold as much water as the 5.10s do. They dry out much quicker. Give them a try if you've not tried them before.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
Agreed @Rob Hancill.
I have the Five Ten Freerider EPS ‘High’ versions
As you know, I live in Wales, it rains all the time here and that is why I wear the gaiters below over my Five Ten EPSs. I have not had wet feet in over 2 years ?????

Bike Gaiter Long

Best £25 I have ever spent ?

Keep my feet and shins warm and dry, they come in long and short, get the long/high ones as it gives you more protection. I don’t know about you but I have always found the shorter gaiters and overshoes above DO NOT stop water ingress from the MONSTER puddles/MINI lakes you sometimes hit on the trail.

Once you are familiar with them it takes 2-3 minutes to put them on. I use them with my flat pedals, they will last longer if you are clipped in as the pins from the flat PEDALS can damaged the elastic that runs underneath the sole of your shoe. That is the only downside to these gaiters but a bit of diy sowing replacement of the elastic and you are quickly back up and running. I have 2 pairs of these for that reason.

I am out on a ride tonight so I will take some ‘before’ and ‘after’ shots so you can all see how good these things are.

View attachment 6322
Bought a pair of these from this recommendation and what a revelation warm dry feet and clean shoes! Used both in the mudfest that is epping forest and countless puddles and rain yesterday in lashing rain. They do look a bit dorkish but any fool can be wet and cold.
My only reservation is how long the toe piece under the sole will hold up, i wear them with 2FOs and some dexshell or sealskins.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I really wanted to try my Vaude Moab stx yesterday but despite lengthwise being fine, width wise was like a vice! (Was getting pins and needles in my right foot). Anyone had this kind of thing break in before, synthetic leather?

I had this on Freerider pro and in the end only the Mid trailcross was comfortable (maybe since it’s more meshy?).

My plan was having one shoe for horrific weather (Vaude is waterproof) and a couple for okay days....seems the trailcross might be ok as a general all weather as it has drain channels plus may dry quickly I imagine; it has a little gaiter on it too which is really nice, the shoe gets on easily but is a snug fit (with sealskinz)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles