Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So am I Gary.
using 5:10s?

Thanks for explaining your strategy. I can't sew.

My wet weather shoe routine is simply having more pairs of riding shoes and sealskins than days of the week and my biomass buffer tank cupboard drying shoes/kit in a matter of hours. ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Gaitored wellies do [/annoying little pedant] ;)
FTW

51gaFevQEzL.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Grippier than any 5:10 too BTW

I've raced in wellies. (not gaitored ones as I was wearing waterproofs)

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

My wet weather shoe routine is simply having more pairs of riding shoes and sealskins than days of the week and my biomass buffer tank cupboard drying shoes/kit in a matter of hours. ;)
Yes using Five Tens

I only need one pair of shoes and 2 pairs of gaiters for my routine, I will be sticking to my routine thanks ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Kiwi in Wales I knew you were using 5:10s. What I meant was I'm surprised you can slide foot position easily without lifting you foot wearing them. No pins?

Galvo

Oct 3, 2018
Western Australia
Have you tried waxingvyour shoes for Water proof ness? It's an oldie but a great technique. And a lot of loggers and hikers do this. Heaps of you tube videos on the subject. For canvas yo I can alsonuse a silicone and turps mix think the ratio is 5 to 1 I did this with my top peak saddle bags and it worked a treat in the pooring rain. Thing is anything that is 100% waterproof in active wear you tend to sweat from the inside. I've found nothing that is Water proof and breathes enough for active work.

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Agreed @Rob Hancill.
I have the Five Ten Freerider EPS ‘High’ versions
As you know, I live in Wales, it rains all the time here and that is why I wear the gaiters below over my Five Ten EPSs. I have not had wet feet in over 2 years ?????

Bike Gaiter Long

Best £25 I have ever spent ?

Keep my feet and shins warm and dry, they come in long and short, get the long/high ones as it gives you more protection. I don’t know about you but I have always found the shorter gaiters and overshoes above DO NOT stop water ingress from the MONSTER puddles/MINI lakes you sometimes hit on the trail.

Once you are familiar with them it takes 2-3 minutes to put them on. I use them with my flat pedals, they will last longer if you are clipped in as the pins from the flat PEDALS can damaged the elastic that runs underneath the sole of your shoe. That is the only downside to these gaiters but a bit of diy sowing replacement of the elastic and you are quickly back up and running. I have 2 pairs of these for that reason.

I am out on a ride tonight so I will take some ‘before’ and ‘after’ shots so you can all see how good these things are.

View attachment 6322

What size for a size 44 Shimano SPD shoe? 44-46?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
What size for a size 44 Shimano SPD shoe? 44-46?

I got the 44-46 size and trying them with some shoes in size 45.5 nearly all the adjustment of the Velcro on the rear was used. (There is about 5cm of adjustment available).

With size 45.5 Shimano SPD shoes there is 0 cm adjustment left to make the length smaller - but they are a narrow style.
Untitled picture.png

With size 45.5 Adidas Terrex hiking shoes there is about 1 cm adjustment left.
adidas-terrex-fast-r-gtx.png

Although I can see myself using the gaiters with bigger warmer hiking boots in winter, or thermal overshoes underneath. If I try thermal overshoes on the SPD shoes and then gaiters on top it leaves about 1.5cm adjustment to make the length smaller.

So you may be best to go with the size down on the gaiters (provided they are big enough). Ok I just tried another pair of size 45 Shimano SPD's as above and the gaiters barely Velcro together at the back - I can't see that size gaiter working for a 44 if yours are similar.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Mine arrived today, just been for a cheeky night ride in them and ride great straight out the box.

Snap! Got mine today too (y)
Thanks for passing on the deal
I already have a pair and IMO they are the best shoes for all seasons

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Yeah. I buy all my riding shoes a little roomy and don't do my laces up tightly for exactly this reason, a pair of sports socks. I don't really sweat much but agree with everything you've said. This means I wear sealskins all year round. (as my shoes are loose otherwise) and they don't get too hot even in summer. I must have 10 pairs of sealskins. once they start to thin out and eventually hole I don't chuck them out instead relegating them to dry weather use.

Other top tip: Tight laces stops good circulation and makes your feet colder in winter and warmer in summer and is accentuated when your shoes are soaked but your feet are still dry inside your sealskins. I do my laces up once when my shoes are new, tuck the lace ends behind the tongue of the shoe so as to never catch anything and NEVER undo the laces ever again. instead slipping my shoes on and off. They're just the right tightness they're comfortable but will never come off.

Me too dude straight out of the box any trainer with laces get tied once and forgotten about
(But they must be laced up straight first?)
Nike sb’s all the way infact I’m rocking an old pair of airforce 2 2F3ECAFE-0699-4715-B0E3-EA7F233B1DB3.jpeg ’s from the 90’s at the minute that have been relegated.
Old school dubbin and seal skins knee length for extra protection. A good pair Motorcross bottoms and I’m set for owt ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
(But they must be laced up straight first?
Fuck yeah! I'm one of those dicks that takes shoes off shoe sales assistants and re-laces them myself before trying them on. WTF do they teach youngsters these days?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
First thing i would say is i would size up in them/try them on - i have them in a UK9, and they are quite a tight fit, would have gone for a 9.5 if i got them again. They are also not the widest of shoes.

They are very good waterproof hiking boot, lightweight, good toe box, lots of good thought out features, but they don't have comparable grip to a dedicated flat cycling shoe as not all of the sole is on the pedal. Due to the arch on the sole you have to put your feet slightly back on the pedals too.

If they made them with their cycling sole they would be awesome.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire

Got these for £50 from the bay, Asics Fujiterra. Looks like they are more trainer like than most boots so will see how they are.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I stopped wearing 510's because they soaked up water and took ages to dry. I switched to Shimano AM41 and when they wore out I bought some more. When they wear out they will be replaced by whatever Shimano has replaced the AM41s with. Brilliant shoe; loads of grip but not so much that I can't shift my foot if I don't plant it exactly right first time. The fold over flap contains the laces and sheds most of the water. A pair of Sealskinz completes the set up, but with a thin pair of socks underneath. I confess never to having tried gaiters, but despite riding all through the year in the UK, I have never had cold and wet feet. Warm and wet from time to time, yes.

The thing to watch out for is holes in your Sealskinz, pedal strikes are what do the damage. :( You can test them by filling them with water. You do put them in the washing machine from time to time don't you? :unsure:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Good find - let us know how you get on

Luckily they arrived today, so I wore them on the ride home, which was wet and muddy :) I would say:

They're pretty light, with a nice thin sole so you can feel the pedal. Also very comfy.
Ankle feels very well protected, toes not quite so much, but better than the GTX trainers I rode in with.
No water/mud got in over the top, so they seal quite well, didn't get too hot.
Fit is good for me, normally 8.5 wide and I've got toe wriggle room with sealskins on in the 9.5.
Fundamentally, they engage nicely with the pins (DMR Vault), you get a bit of float, not 5:10 sticky.

For my requirements, I'm very happy with them. Wouldn't say they're the holy grail but great for the cash. When I googled more sizes were available direct from other websites.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I woudn't say I'd found them. They're an openly available product from one of the world's largest bicycle companies that I just happened to know existed.
As for what's the "best" option.
You really need to realise there is no "best" product in many categories in the cycling world.
Those shoes may well fit your needs but I've personally no interest in wearing such a product at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles