Waterproof Flat MTB shoes

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Do any exist?

Sealskins only seem to hold water on the outside, sloshing around the actual shoes.

Can’t seem to find any flat waterproof (or near waterproof) flat shoes.

Or any other suggestions?

Five Tens and Sealskinz just don’t work well for me.

Thanks
Rob.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have been on same quest for years, and the answer is no, though fine ten do make a water resistant version called the free rider EPS.

i have been looking at some of the Goretex trainers on the market to see if there is anything that can be used

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Currently trying these, not flat, but waterproof, light and have toe protection.

Adidas M TERREX SWIFT R2 MID GTX

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 08.04.37.png

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have been on same quest for years, and the answer is no, though fine ten do make a water resistant version called the free rider EPS.

i have been looking at some of the Goretex trainers on the market to see if there is anything that can be used
Problem is water just runs down through the tops! I wore Gore trousers yesterday hoping it wouldn’t happen but still got soaking wet feet!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Gaiters! The reality is in weather like that over the weekend there aint much going to offer a perfect solution, which is a much to do with the fact that the articulation needed to ride a bike means its difficult to fully seal off top of your shoes.

Wish they made a flat version of something like these, with the cuff and a flat sole.

Mavic Crossmax SL Pro Thermo boots review - MBR

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Last winter I ended up using berghaus goretex walking boots. Not ideal though, you don't get the same feel and feedback as five tens. At least my feet were dry and clean .

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
shoes.jpg

I use these with seal skinz - they work well in light rain. After 40 mins in heavy rain or spray the water will still run down your shins and into your waterproof socks! The only way to get dry feet I've found is to wear waterproof leggings (altura) that velcro around the top of the boot. It works but they aren't the best thing to cycle in.

My brother swears by heated insoles - his feet get wet but are always warm.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermacell-Rechargeable-Heated-Insole/dp/B0089VUGQA

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I think you just have to expect to get wet. The secret is to keep warm & wet then it doesn’t bother you much, akin to a wetsuit.....

That recent video with Danny Mac doing a demo of the new Endura suit looked appealing. Bet he still had wet feet though.....

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Currently trying these, not flat, but waterproof, light and have toe protection.

Adidas M TERREX SWIFT R2 MID GTX

View attachment 6311

Nice option for a biking boot. Thought about this one already.

I still dont understand why adidas made this shoe without gore tex !! Would be the best choice for flat pedals. -> TERREX Trail Cross Protect

Currently have the little brother for normal conditions which works great for me. Havent tried it in rainy conditions yet -> Trail Cross SL

Last edited:

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
in the UK winter, I switch from my summer-only Five Tens to a Shimano shoe (AM something? they don't make it any more) which whilst not waterproof has a useful flap which goes over the laces. This GR9 seems to be the current version SH-GR900

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve worn Merrells in the past, but only on fairly benign rides, for anything that warranted grippy pedals I’d be clipped in. I’d rather be secure and wet than have shins like a blind butchers thumb.

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
Do any exist?

Sealskins only seem to hold water on the outside, sloshing around the actual shoes.

Can’t seem to find any flat waterproof (or near waterproof) flat shoes.

Or any other suggestions?

Five Tens and Sealskinz just don’t work well for me.

Thanks
Rob.
I don't thick you'll ever find a shoe thats totally "waterproof" from the perspective of keeping your feet dry. A waterproof sock like the Sealskinz you already have are probably the the best to achieve that outcome. I think what you are after is a flat shoe that doesn't absorb water and become heavy - this is what I would call a waterproof shoe. Five Ten until recent years generally constructed their shoes from materials such leather and canvas which once wet can get very heavy and take days to properly dry out. More recently they have moved into materials that do not suck up water like the proverbial sponge. The FreeRider EPS and Impact Pro are two models that come to mind that make use of synthetic materials to decrease their water holding abilities.

My favourite flat shoes for use in wet conditions are the Specialized 2FO Flats. These are a fully synthetic shoe that offers a reasonable (not as good as Five Ten) grip. They do not hold water like other shoes and dry exceptionally quickly. I wear mine when I expect the conditions are not going to ideal for wearing my Five Ten Impact Flat shoes or when I expect to be riding in locations where there are going to be river crossings. I don't wear waterproof socks but I do wear thick wool socks (DeFeet Woolie Boolie) that although don't keep my feet dry do keep them warm inside my shoes.

Specialized 2FO flats have always been known for having a bit of a love them or hate them fit so if you can't get a good fit with the 2FO's check out the similar Shimano, Giro, etc fully synthetic shoes.

Last edited:

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I’ve worn Merrells in the past, but only on fairly benign rides, for anything that warranted grippy pedals I’d be clipped in. I’d rather be secure and wet than have shins like a blind butchers thumb.

Best of both worlds - magpeds

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
Getting a little of topic with respect to this thread but few people have suggested using shoes that are not specifically designed for mountain biking. I would truely recommend not doing this. Running and Trail shoes do not have mountain bike specific protection features, such as a reinforced toe box area, built in and could leave areas of your feet vulnerable to impact damage from rocks and other objects.

Point in case - Last weekend, whilst riding along a very narrow rocky trail cut into the side of a steep hillside above a river gorge I didn't see a small sapling stump sticking out of the ground. As it happened my right pedal was near at the bottom of the pedal stroke and my foot jammed between the sharp end of stump and the pedal. I came to a very abrupt stop and had it not been for the fact that my foot was jammed I would have exited out the front of the bike. My Five Tens Impacts took the full hit across the toe guard which also left a deep crease pressed into the padded toe box area. My toe inside inside the shoe directly under the impact area is slightly bruised but otherwise ok. Had I been wearing running or trail shoes the outcome I suspect would have been very different and I possibly could have lost a toe :eek:.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks for all the suggestions...

Yes, Five10 are great, but they take, 5 to Ten days to bloody dry out once they are wet ?

My Freeriders are a good few years old, still perfect for most weather, but just retain water (bit like those Cannock trails yesterday!).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
OMG!! My eyes!!!
This thread needs a warning! ;)
You don't have to lose all self respect and wear UGLY shoes to ride a bike in the wet.

Any real suede/leather skate shoes and cover the uppers in dubbing. (The dubbing darkens the colour if you go for something that's not already a dark coloured suede. Also wear sealskins though because water still gets in the top through the tongue and laciing.

Last edited:

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
would there be any issue wearing a Gore-Tex trail shoe? I was wearing my Scarpa gore tex lined walking boots and they do a low ankle version - bone dry even when submersed and comfy

Would that work or would the Vibram be less than ideal? I have no idea on that front but I do know they are waterproof also some soles are more sticky than others for example using on via ferrata

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles