Winter flat shoes/boots recommendations?

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I’ve been looking for something like this! How heavy are they? Don’t need an exact weight but are they comfortable for an all day ride?
I'll weigh them later
They are a little heavy but not really an issue
Super comfy , worn them all day , no problem

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My FiveTens go in the washing machine on a regular basis. Come out like new and the soles are super sticky.

When the weather is really shitty I wear Bike Gaitors as suggested by @Kiwi in Wales ages ago.

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
My FiveTens go in the washing machine on a regular basis. Come out like new and the soles are super sticky.

When the weather is really shitty I wear Bike Gaitors as suggested by @Kiwi in Wales ages ago.

I washed my FiveTen freeriders in the machine just once at 40°C then put them in the tumble drier and it ruined them. I'm scared to put my Impacts through the same treatment so they just live dirty and stanky.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
They live on a radiator after they’ve been washed unless I need them the next day when I use a home made shoe drier.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I washed my FiveTen freeriders in the machine just once at 40°C then put them in the tumble drier and it ruined them. I'm scared to put my Impacts through the same treatment so they just live dirty and stanky.

Think I'd either go cold wash or 30 degrees max.

Same for anything clothing wise which is membrained/water proof/breathable and ideally never tumble dry. Though some of the wash in waterproof products recommend tumble drying to activate, it generally wrecks things so ideally use a different product.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I wash trainers, skate shoes etc all the time. I would never dream of tumbledrying or using 40 deg wash (most modern detergents work fine at 30 deg or even cold). Drying on the radiator for a couple of hours is fine.

From this thread it’s looking like we’re not well catered for by American shoe manufacturers for UK conditions. I’d also like to see more mid-tops as well - Five Ten seem to have dropped doing these over the last few years.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
It's more to keep some of the crap off my 510's. I have some Sealskin socks already :)
Think I'll give the Endura covers a go, reading the reviews they come up very small so will order the XXL to fit a size 42 (y)
Neil can you post how you get on? I was looking at these as well but am a size 44 and don't want to be size 54 with the overboots! They seem a great option if not too big.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Like those new gortex FiveTens that are coming out next year but for now I’ve ordered a set of Vaude long gaiters. Good shout lads (y):)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Does anyone know if they're dropping the five ten freerider ELC ? There were several on offer all over the place and then they all slowly went out of stock. There's still a few out there, but not many.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Vaude have just bought out a waterproof flat pedal Hi Top

AM Moab Mid STX

Screenshot 2019-11-09 at 08.44.56.png

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Hi Stu,

Northwave Himalaya Winter Boot:
How did these fit size wise? roomy, tight or just right.
Going to order a pair online, I'm a size 8. Would you say their sizing is accurate?

Will then post to LSR for the sole work :)

thanks
Neil
Hi Neil
I went up a full UK size to accommodate Sealskin socks and they are perfect .
Hope that helps

Regards
Stu

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Hi Neil
I went up a full UK size to accommodate Sealskin socks and they are perfect .
Hope that helps

Regards
Stu
Yes I was also thinking that Stu. The Sealskins are quite thick and if the boot is a bit tight it can lead to cold feet due lack of circulation. Good shout... I'll order a size up so 9.

Thanks Dude! :)(y)

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Yes I was also thinking that Stu. The Sealskins are quite thick and if the boot is a bit tight it can lead to cold feet due lack of circulation. Good shout... I'll order a size up so 9.

Thanks Dude! :)(y)
Exactly my thoughts

Your welcome Budd
You won't be disappointed
Went out with mine yesterday , 6 degrees , muddy slopfest - toasty warm dry feet

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
My NorthWave Himalaya boots arrived yesterday...
Really lovely quality and with 2 pairs of socks on, 1x normal cotton, 1x Sealskins, going up a full size seems just right. Not that you need the Sealskins in particular as these are a waterproof boot.
Posted them straight back out to LSR for the FiveTen Stealth rubber conversion. Didn't realise they were so busy, they saying approx 4+ weeks as they get approx 100 parcels a day! I'm sure it will be well worth the wait. You know what's it's like though with new toys, I wan't them yesterday, especially with this crap weather!
How long did your's take at LSR Stu?:unsure:

Thanks again for the heads up on this great idea dude :cool:

Check out LSR here: LSR - Repairers of Outdoor Gear Footwear and Clothing

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
five-ten-freerider-elc-red-black-1.jpg
I weighed my existing FiveTen ELC Freeriders (pic above) and the NorthWave Himalaya boot. The NW boots were 280g heavier (per pair) Not too bad.

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
I ride flats and use my FiveTen Freerider Pro’s in all conditions. I’m not actually sure if they’re intentionally waterproof but I’ve been out in the horrible conditions loads now and my feet are always dry at the end.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
It
I ride flats and use my FiveTen Freerider Pro’s in all conditions. I’m not actually sure if they’re intentionally waterproof but I’ve been out in the horrible conditions loads now and my feet are always dry at the end.

It's the cleaning them up afterwards and then drying them out again fully that I have the real issue with. I use my FiveTen ELC with Sealskins so feet do stay dry, but shoes get so mud & water logged I end up fully soaking them in the sink after the ride to get them clean again.
I have some Vaude gaitors coming any day as well, so I can try that option too.

I also wanted something a little warmer and with these NW Himalaya boots being waterproof and a high upper under my MT500 waterproof trousers, I can just hose myself down at the same time I do the bike (y)
The boot outer should dry really quickly.

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
I don’t clean my MTB shoes in the winter. I ride a lot so they’re pretty much constantly dirty regardless :ROFLMAO:. I just wipe them off quickly with my brush as I clean the bike (which I do after each ride). Seems to remove most of the dirt in a few seconds, may just be down to what they’re made of.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
My NorthWave Himalaya boots arrived yesterday...
Really lovely quality and with 2 pairs of socks on, 1x normal cotton, 1x Sealskins, going up a full size seems just right. Not that you need the Sealskins in particular as these are a waterproof boot.
Posted them straight back out to LSR for the FiveTen Stealth rubber conversion. Didn't realise they were so busy, they saying approx 4+ weeks as they get approx 100 parcels a day! I'm sure it will be well worth the wait. You know what's it's like though with new toys, I wan't them yesterday, especially with this crap weather!
How long did your's take at LSR Stu?:unsure:

Thanks again for the heads up on this great idea dude :cool:

Check out LSR here: LSR - Repairers of Outdoor Gear Footwear and Clothing
I thought you'd be pleased with them
I paid LSR an extra £15 for 2 day turn around .
Depends how bad you want them ?

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
I thought you'd be pleased with them
I paid LSR an extra £15 for 2 day turn around .
Depends how bad you want them ?

Just spoke to them.... They just stopped the Express Service 2 weeks ago in the lead up to Christmas. Oh well I'll just have to wait:cry:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles