Winter flat shoes/boots recommendations?

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
When I used to ride with SPD’s on my MTB’s in the winter, I had a lovely pair of Northwave winter boots.
For at least 5 years now I’ve been back on flat pedals with FiveTen shoes, same shoes summer or winter with exposed laces.
I’m now getting a bit fed up with washing my shoes after every wet muddy ride!

What do you guys and girls use during the winter? Any recommendations greatly received ???

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Looking at all the different boots, they all seem to be geared towards the SPD. I apprectiate you don't have to put the cleats on but the big knarly tread found on these boots doesn't inspire confidence for grip on a flat pedal. I can see myself getting bear trapped!

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I’m using a pair of cheap Regatta walking boot, lovely and warm.

5-10s if you like getting wet feet and drying boots, although I understand they now have a waterproof version. You can always use waterproof socks.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
I’m using a pair of cheap Regatta walking boot, lovely and warm.

5-10s if you like getting wet feet and drying boots, although I understand they now have a waterproof version. You can always use waterproof socks.

It's more to keep some of the crap off my 510's. I have some Sealskin socks already :)
Think I'll give the Endura covers a go, reading the reviews they come up very small so will order the XXL to fit a size 42 (y)

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Check out the Five Ten Freerider "EPS" and "ELC" versions.

Cheers Donnie, those ELC with the covered laces look a better bet. Although its still easier to wash a set of covers and cheaper to buy..:unsure:

When I need a new pair of 510's, I'll be sure to get the ELC with covered laces. I used to use the Shimano AM41 and loved the fact the laces were hidden away, they weren't a bad shoe actually.

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
Wellies......if they're good enough for ex DH racer and EMBN presenter Steve Jones they should be ok for most folk. I think I'd still prefer to get wet feet though......

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Cheers Donnie, those ELC with the covered laces look a better bet. Although its still easier to wash a set of covers and cheaper to buy..:unsure:

When I need a new pair of 510's, I'll be sure to get the ELC with covered laces. I used to use the Shimano AM41 and loved the fact the laces were hidden away, they weren't a bad shoe actually.

It's absolutely okay to have more than one pair of 510s - the wife has more than one pair of heels, too :cool:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Kiwi in Wales swears by gaiters. He’s posted a link somewhere in the forum.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Vaude bike gaiters long. They’re on Amazon but when I try to post a link the forum changes it to a video...

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
These have become my go-to winter flat shoe
Shimano AM 7
Lace cover keeps out most of the crud
Easy to clean and outer layer dries quickly
Watch the sizing though . Go up a full UK size or they will be snug and the lace flap will come up short.
Obviously not impervious to water entering at the ankle but combined with sealskin socks ive ridden all day with toasty dry feet

20180321_155911-1.jpg

20180321_160741.jpg

20180321_155911.jpg

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
As well as a new set of these Fiveten's Five Ten Freerider ELC Mountain Bike Shoes | Biketart which are lovely, I thought I'd get a set of these Endura MT500 Plus overshoe covers MT500 Plus Overshoe | Industry first! Flat Pedal Friendly Mud Protection | Endura

I read they were quite hard to fit so ordered an L/XL size (I'm a UK 8).

Wow! These are going straight back! What a fight to get them on! No way I'm doing that every time I want to ride. These need some rethinking on the design!
Disappointing :cry:

P4UL

Dec 3, 2018
Maidenhead
I have the fiveten freerider EPS shoes lovley and warm for winter and waterproof . I have nothing to compare them with as these are my first pair of mtb shoes but very happy with them

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
As well as a new set of these Fiveten's Five Ten Freerider ELC Mountain Bike Shoes | Biketart which are lovely, I thought I'd get a set of these Endura MT500 Plus overshoe covers MT500 Plus Overshoe | Industry first! Flat Pedal Friendly Mud Protection | Endura

I read they were quite hard to fit so ordered an L/XL size (I'm a UK 8).

Wow! These are going straight back! What a fight to get them on! No way I'm doing that every time I want to ride. These need some rethinking on the design!
Disappointing :cry:

Just in case this was unclear: I am only referring to the Endura MT500 overshoe covers that are going back. The FiveTen shoes with laces cover are super cosy with Sealskin socks :)

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
When I used to ride with SPD’s on my MTB’s in the winter, I had a lovely pair of Northwave winter boots.
For at least 5 years now I’ve been back on flat pedals with FiveTen shoes, same shoes summer or winter with exposed laces.
I’m now getting a bit fed up with washing my shoes after every wet muddy ride!

What do you guys and girls use during the winter? Any recommendations greatly received ???
Bought some Northwave Himalaya boots last winter which are awesome
SPD soles though
Persevered all winter but prefer flat pedals on my Ebike
Really wanted a 5ten option sole on these boots because they are superb
Found someone who would resole them and convert to 5ten
Absolutely 1st class job by Lancashire shoe repairs . Superb workmanship and service and I'm a fussy git !!
£45 plus postage
Pics below -

Last edited:

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Those boots look just the job. I've been using goretex walking boots and they are easy to wash off and waterproof but not high enough and the the sole is very sketchy on pedals. I certainly wouldn't use them at a trail riding centre.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Those boots look just the job. I've been using goretex walking boots and they are easy to wash off and waterproof but not high enough and the the sole is very sketchy on pedals. I certainly wouldn't use them at a trail riding centre.
They really are the dogs danglies
Easy to clean just rinse off and they dry in minutes (apart from the stretchy part above ankle) but that doesn't get too muddy if wearing trousers or gaitors
Ankle comes up nice and high to help reduce water ingress
Gusseted tounge
Quick pull laces
Toasty warm
With the 5ten soles they are a superb flat pedal winter boot - Luv em !!

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
I’ve been looking for something like this! How heavy are they? Don’t need an exact weight but are they comfortable for an all day ride?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles