Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I know.
I was surprised my tyre buzzed the light too.
Not entirely sure Paul Aston is fully compressing that shock

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Maybe its your frame size - i run a halfords rear light (got it when i got the front based of your review) attached just under the dropper collar on the seat spot it self, and never had an issue. One of these, not my bike

684507c.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Maybe its your frame size

Yeah. the light was definitely mounted lower than your seat mast ends. That's what made me ask about clearance between your guard and seattube. It's something like these
71DmryVhzUL._SL1500_.jpg

in design. I just twist it round to the side now when I'm off-road and twist it back straight for road sections where it's actually needed.

lookieuk

Nov 22, 2018
nz
Hey peeps

New to fourm and just wondered if anyone knows when the Vitus 2019 range will be available from wiggle or chain reaction?

thanks

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
Aparrently late decembers according to rumours
Hi @R120 , Out of curiosity, with you being the owner of a Vitus E-Sommet (a model I wish I'd known about/tried before making a purchase!), when do you reckon you'll make your next upgrade and what's your shortlist based on 2019 offerings?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
with you being the owner of a Vitus E-Sommet (a model I wish I'd known about/tried before making a purchase!), when do you reckon you'll make your next upgrade and what's your shortlist based on 2019 offerings?
Also being an E-Sommet owner I can honestly say out of the box the bike needs no upgrades. Just a few changes to suit preference. Grips and tyres (and fitting your co=hoice of tyres tuneless instead of the mega heavy tubes the 2018 came with) to be precise.
The only real "upgrade" I've made to mine was to dremel the dropper remote to fit my control set-up perfectly.
The 2019 has the dropper remote sorted (Brand-X updated it on their latest posts)
And even the tyres for 2019 are a better choice. (a matter of personal pref anyway though)

My only planned upgrade is actually a downgrade.
As soon as they become available I'll be purchasing an E7000 controller
I know R120 will agree with this.
The 2019s will come with this.
I get along fine with the E8000 paddle controller but I have broken one in a crash. The E7000 wil be more out of the way and less likey to be damaged in a crash. it'll also mean the dropper remote will have more room to adjust position and it'll be nice to have proper separate controlls rather than 3 levers all close together to get your head around.

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
Also being an E-Sommet owner I can honestly say out of the box the bike needs no upgrades. Just a few changes to suit preference. Grips and tyres (and fitting your co=hoice of tyres tuneless instead of the mega heavy tubes the 2018 came with) to be precise.
The only real "upgrade" I've made to mine was to dremel the dropper remote to fit my control set-up perfectly.
The 2019 has the dropper remote sorted (Brand-X updated it on their latest posts)
And even the tyres for 2019 are a better choice. (a matter of personal pref anyway though)

My only planned upgrade is actually a downgrade.
As soon as they become available I'll be purchasing an E7000 controller
I know R120 will agree with this.
The 2019s will come with this.
I get along fine with the E8000 paddle controller but I have broken one in a crash. The E7000 wil be more out of the way and less likey to be damaged in a crash. it'll also mean the dropper remote will have more room to adjust position and it'll be nice to have proper separate controlls rather than 3 levers all close together to get your head around.
It's encouraging to hear MTB users on this forum satisfied with their original purchase and getting by with just a few mods. (Is it just me or has there been an upsurge of Spesh users lately trading in their 2018 models for 2019?)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Do you mean upgrade as in a new bike? Nothing out there that I would consider over the Sommett for the type of riding it is meant for. I have really already done all the upgrades to the bike that I want to do, and like Gary mentions the E7000 controller is the only thing outstanding in my mind.

I will be interested in what Specialized do with the next generation Kenevo, but my experience with Vitus/Shimano has been pretty flawless to date, and I like that all the parts are standard (e.g the battery) and easy to replace, whereas the bespoke nature of the Brose motor and other bits on the Specialized along with the talked about design/reliability issue do put me off slightly.

The one bike I might find tempting is the new La Pierre E Zesty, as for me the next step forward in e bikes is getting them lighter, so keen to see what the Zesty is like.

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
It's encouraging to hear MTB users on this forum satisfied with their original purchase and getting by with just a few mods. (Is it just me or has there been an upsurge of Spesh users lately trading in their 2018 models for 2019?)
So true all I have changed on my sommet is the dropper trigger and replaced my worn out grips.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup the only things you need to do to the bike is sort the contact points to your liking, maybe change tyres if they are not your cup of tea, and I believe the 2019 will come with the E7000 controller on it out the box.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
With Specialized, there were major improvements (motor, battery, weight, geo) from 18 to 19 on the levo. There has been no major improvements on E8000 based bikes that I know of.

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
Do you mean upgrade as in a new bike? Nothing out there that I would consider over the Sommett for the type of riding it is meant for. I have really already done all the upgrades to the bike that I want to do, and like Gary mentions the E7000 controller is the only thing outstanding in my mind.

I will be interested in what Specialized do with the next generation Kenevo, but my experience with Vitus/Shimano has been pretty flawless to date, and I like that all the parts are standard (e.g the battery) and easy to replace, whereas the bespoke nature of the Brose motor and other bits on the Specialized along with the talked about design/reliability issue do put me off slightly.

The one bike I might find tempting is the new La Pierre E Zesty, as for me the next step forward in e bikes is getting them lighter, so keen to see what the Zesty is like.
Sorry but, yes, I meant new bike.

I don't know whether you got yours from CRC or a local bike shop but the latter, along with actual road testing, made me pick a Shimano over the alternatives (which, btw, I *don't* think is noisy!). It surprised me therefore when I heard a different bike shop completely diss Shimano on support issues. Buyers beware!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
With Specialized, there were major improvements (motor, battery, weight, geo) from 18 to 19 on the levo. There has been no major improvements on E8000 based bikes that I know of.
Yes and I have ridden the 19 Levo and it’s a great bike, but it’s not really a compatrible bike to the Vitus in terms of sending it down hill

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
With Specialized, there were major improvements (motor, battery, weight, geo) from 18 to 19 on the levo.
Yeah. Spesh almost got their carbon frames as light as a cheap Alu Vitus Enduro Emtb with more travel and more agressive descending geometry ;)

I still don't know why folk keep comparing the E-sommet with levos
it's more comparible to a Meta power, E160 or even a kenevo in ride characteristics/geometry/intended use.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
One of the things i like about the Shimano system is the cross compatibility between the models, i.e you can run no display, the in line display indicator with an led, the e6000, e7000, or the e8000, and the same with the controllers. This actually means there is a lot of customisation in how you can interface with the system.

PDM

Apr 21, 2018
Scotland
Does anyone experience problems with the stiffness of the rear mech cable action which I believe is due to the twisty route of the cable past the motor on the e-sommet? I finally had to replace inner and outer as it had become almost seized up. A really tricky job as the outer needs to be threaded over the top of the motor between the motor and the casing. New cable works ok but it’s not a slick gear change by any means. Thinking of re-routing the cable underneath the motor in a similar arrangement on the Sommet. Any advice?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If your cables are bit of a mess, easiest to drop the motor out of the frame to tidy it up. Not a difficult job, you don't need to fully remove/disconnect the motor, just unbolt it and lower it slightly out, ideally having something to rest it on.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Does anyone experience problems with the stiffness of the rear mech cable action which I believe is due to the twisty route of the cable past the motor on the e-sommet? I finally had to replace inner and outer as it had become almost seized up. A really tricky job as the outer needs to be threaded over the top of the motor between the motor and the casing. New cable works ok but it’s not a slick gear change by any means. Thinking of re-routing the cable underneath the motor in a similar arrangement on the Sommet. Any advice?
I have had the exact same problem with my merida and have replaced the cables, rear mech and front mech too, still stiff.

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Tried this link:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-e-sommet-vr-electric-mountain-bike-slx-1x11-201/

Keep getting this message:

“Our Apologies
We are experiencing a high volume of traffic and unfortunately there was a problem loading the page, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact customer services using the online form. Thank you for your patience.”

Does everyone get that crap?

I was wondering if I could preorder with the 20% platinum discount. Any ideas?

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Tried this link:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-e-sommet-vr-electric-mountain-bike-slx-1x11-201/

Keep getting this message:

“Our Apologies
We are experiencing a high volume of traffic and unfortunately there was a problem loading the page, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact customer services using the online form. Thank you for your patience.”

Does everyone get that crap?

I was wondering if I could preorder with the 20% platinum discount. Any ideas?
Yeah I’ve noticed that same crap, your account is corrupted. If you sign out and clear history it works again for a little while but will do it again after not to long. I saw they upped their gold and platinum award amounts but it’s only valid till the 6th December and bike cannot be pre ordered which is a bummer. 20% would be nice!

dervdoctor

Dec 2, 2018
Derbyshire
There are lots of similar versions of the frame out there, all a bit different, non with the Vitus geometry.

Thats because most are based off OEM frame out of Astro in Taiwan, who as it happens made the frame for the demo bikes when Shimano launched the E8000 System.

ASTRO Own Design E MTB Frame - Shimano E Suspension

E.G Willier

What you tend to see is that some brands have different rear ends. A lot of brands just buy the generic frame ad badge it up, others use it s a base and change a fair bit - the commonality is the Zero suspension platform, and the down tube/bb area.

View attachment 5944

View attachment 5945

View attachment 5946
My diamond back ranger 2.0 is the same basic frame too by the looks of it

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
It just let me add to my basket with 20% discount are you sure it can’t be preordered- I put in a 2019 size L. Says delivery end Dec.
Yeah I’ve noticed that same crap, your account is corrupted. If you sign out and clear history it works again for a little while but will do it again after not to long. I saw they upped their gold and platinum award amounts but it’s only valid till the 6th December and bike cannot be pre ordered which is a bummer. 20% would be nice!
to

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
It just let me add to my basket with 20% discount are you sure it can’t be preordered- I put in a 2019 size L. Says delivery end Dec.

to
That’s not pre order mate they are now in stock at wiggle and CRC! I ordered mine yesterday but unfortunately only at 15% as they have stalled with an item i previously purchased otherwise I would have the 20%, still, £550 off is a bargain, hoping my platinum comes in today and I’ll change my order.. good news though!! :cool:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles