Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I've asked Santa for a new Canyon
No that was pretty much it. “Hey could you tell me if and when you are going to get more stock of your spectral Ebikes please? Sorry but we only have limited stock availability on our website but our new 2019 range will be unveiled and on the website for purchase within the month” simple
Great, just in time for Santa to deliver for Xmas.. happy days ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Canyon, like Vitus, have no need to replace their existing models as they are already at the head of the pack so to speak - if anything other manafacuters are having to update their ranges to keep up with them.

I would be amazed if Canyon do anything other than colours and minor spec changes to the Spectral ON, of course they may bring out another bike, thats a totally new model to add to their range.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Canyon, like Vitus, have no need to replace their existing models as they are already at the head of the pack so to speak - if anything other manafacuters are having to update their ranges to keep up with them.

I would be amazed if Canyon do anything other than colours and minor spec changes to the Spectral ON, of course they may bring out another bike, thats a totally new model to add to their range.
I agree, it’s madness, updating for updating sake! The only inherent problem with both those manufacturers is that they didn’t build enough bikes to keep up with demand!

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
The reason I'm favouring the Canyon over the Vitus as I think the Canyon is more suited for my needs, but like Polaris, I still haven't ruled out the Vitus because the price is so good. TBH I probably would have shelled out for the Canyon already but they don't have any size small in stock.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
The reason I'm favouring the Canyon over the Vitus as I think the Canyon is more suited for my needs, but like Polaris, I still haven't ruled out the Vitus because the price is so good. TBH I probably would have shelled out for the Canyon already but they don't have any size small in stock.
Exactly, but if Canyon even throw just a couple of £100 on the existing list price then it’s checkmate to vitus

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBH I probably would have shelled out for the Canyon already but they don't have any size small in stock.
if you need a small Spectral:ON the small Vitus is too big for you. The small E-Sommet is a larger bike than the Medium Spectral:ON

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
if you need a small Spectral:ON the small Vitus is too big for you. The small E-Sommet is a larger bike than the Medium Spectral:ON
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm 5ft 7 so would prefer a more nimble small size. I have a medium cube hardtail with 29ers and feel it's a bit too big for me.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
for a vastly different bike. Who cares?

Plus why on earth would prices go DOWN?
Well obviously a few do care mate and it’s not “vastly” different anyway c’mon, it’s a full suspension ebike with a few mm extra travel, slightly different geometry and paint job ?. and And I wasn’t suggesting the price go down, just not increase too much. For me personally that means I get the E-sommet

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ok. I'll bite

The Canyon has very different geometry
less travel
doesn't even have the same size wheels
and Canyon themselves rate it as not capable of tiny jumps and drops

Don't choose your bike based on what you precieve to be the best VFM... buy it based on an honest view of the riding you'll do on it and which bike suits that best.

But bash on if you think every full suspension Emtb is the same

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Ok. I'll bite

The Canyon has very different geometry
less travel
doesn't even have the same size wheels
and Canyon themselves rate it as not capable of tiny jumps and drops

Don't choose your bike based on what you precieve to be the best VFM... buy it based on an honest view of the riding you'll do on it and which bike suits that best.

But bash on if you think every full suspension Emtb is the same
Lol if I bought a bike based on the current riding I’m doing I’d be on something from a hovis advert mate! This is me future proofing in the hope that I can get back to some kind of riding on dirt once toddlers and babies are old enough to wipe their own asses.

The e-sommet is a great bike but can’t be the best at everything or nobody would buy anything else surely?!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
nobody said it was the best at everything.
it's an incredibly capable Enduro bike verging on superenduro/DH bike capability.
Yes you can obviously ride one around tame local trails and trail centre red routes all you want and no doubt you'd be happy (in ignorance) but there are better suited bikes out there if that's all you're going to be doing on it.
If your ideal non-Ebike is something like a 275 Nukeproof Mega or Capra it's the sort of Ebike for you.

Remind yourself you're posting in a thread where your replies are coming from riders who have a fair bit of actual experence of riding the thing.

The Canyon is going to be slightly better at a few things. none of which happen to be traits i was looking for in an Emtb. (except maybe the shorter stays but that was before i'd ridden the E-sommet and now that I have a few hundred hours riding time on it I'd honestly say a 15mm shorter chainstay wouldn't improve it overall, only to get it to balance point in a manual).

Last edited:

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
nobody said it was the best at everything.
it's an incredibly capable Enduro bike verging on superenduro/DH bike capability.
Yes you can obviously ride one around tame local trails and trail centre red routes all you want and no doubt you'd be happy (in ignorance) but there are better suited bikes out there if that's all you're going to be doing on it.
If your ideal non-Ebike is something like a 275 Nukeproof Mega or Capra it's the sort of Ebike for you.

Remind yourself you're posting in a thread where your replies are coming from riders who have a fair bit of actual experence of riding the thing.

The Canyon is going to be slightly better at a few things. none of which happen to be traits i was looking for in an Emtb. (except maybe the shorter stays but that was before i'd ridden the E-sommet and now that I have a few hundred hours riding time on it I'd honestly say a 15mm shorter chainstay wouldn't improve it overall, only to get it to balance point in a manual).
Yep and thats why I value your honest opinions bud, even If ever so slightly blunt at times ? ive been watching and reading plenty of reviews as well and I’d happily have a crack at both bikes, so let’s see what Santa brings poppa ????

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Whhhoooooooooooossshhhh

you missed the smiley

"two weeks" is traditionally what the bike industry fobs off shops with and in turn fob off their customers with. it's an in joke.
sorry. I obviously thought you were cooler. ;) and would get the joke from the clue in the hashtag.
at least you've learned something new now.

Last edited:

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I saw the smiley but thought it was an excited woohoo 2 weeks smiley! I'm into all kinds of tech and know all about delay tactics by manufacturers but the "2 week" standard is a new one on me. If thats what makes you cool then i'm blatently not fella, you are right there. However my toddler still thinks i'm the shit so I'll hold onto that for now :cool:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I've really gone off the colours on my VR. So obviously I have a plan for something even more hideous involving vinyl. I confidently predict everyone but me will hate it.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I've really gone off the colours on my VR. So obviously I have a plan for something even more hideous involving vinyl. I confidently predict everyone but me will hate it.
The v1 is a bit gordy looking I must admit, the v2 has gone the other way and almost a little bland now, shame really as vitus other bikes are in some really nice colours. It will look better in the flesh no doubt but I was hoping some YouTube vlogger would have reviewed one by now.

How do you vinyl wrap a bike? Do you not get seems everywhere? Good idea though!

B2137ECD-A372-4F92-B75C-F964150716BC.jpeg

:love:(y)

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
If you remove the awful red stickers on the battery it looks miles better, infact quite good. Vitus have dropped the stickers for 2019

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Powder coat it, shouldn't cost much more than 50-80 quid. You can do the usual colours but you can also do some interesting ones. Heres an old KHS that i pulled out of a rubbish dump, and the fixed up as a pub bike. Gunmetal metal flake.

101_0175-1.jpg

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
I hate that red, I even contemplated getting some black vinyl to cover it. The blue and black looks really nice I don't know what they were thinking with that red. ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ha - only realised how matchy matchy i am when Rob took that picture at the weekend. For someone who loves matt black i sure do have a lot of coloured kit

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles