Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo 2020 won't start after washing

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
It took mine two days to dry out, I ended up putting it in a warm place to dry out. Since I put the tape over the USB port I’ve never had the issue since.

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks for all your heads up. Here what I did:
- give a good wipe with a old tshirt
-took my wife’s hairdryer, don’t tell her.
-put the TCU in bag of rice
- Open up the charging plug
-let it dry 20h
-did the USB hack

happy having blue lightning ⚡️ on the TCU

So now cross fingers, as I’m going out for the next run. We have fog down here so l need to do 600 verticals to see the ?
?
I guess I will be careful with the wet washing?? part In the Future.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I suggest putting tape all around the TCU not just over the USB port. The TCU has an upper and lower casing and it is not clear if the seam between the 2 is sealed. I also make sure the connections into the TCU are protected.

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
Being riding during some snowy and dirty condition. Did all the Hacks for the TUC, started to use Mucoff e.bike dry wash.
This worked until there was a bit too much snow and I had to do the drying exercise:

-put the TUC in rice
- take off the motor case where the power connector is
-use my wife hairdryer
- wait 24h
Start up again and go for a ride

Going to the Mountains skiing/climbing we're saying, there is no bad weather, you only have not the correct cloths.
So either I move to the dessert, wait for the summer, take to motor off..... or keep on praying after a wet day out.

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
Being riding during some snowy and dirty condition. Did all the Hacks for the TUC, started to use Mucoff e.bike dry wash.
This worked until there was a bit too much snow and I had to do the drying exercise:

-put the TUC in rice
- take off the motor case where the power connector is
-use my wife hairdryer
- wait 24h
Start up again and go for a ride

Going to the Mountains skiing/climbing we're saying, there is no bad weather, you only have not the correct cloths.
So either I move to the dessert, wait for the summer, take to motor off..... or keep on praying after a wet day out.
Have you replaced the battery to motor lead ? I suffered with the 24 hr wait until I had the lead replaced under warranty and the problem went away

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you use this on/or near the rosenburg plug, it's vitally important you don't get it anywhere near the connections as it's none conductive and can then actually cause failures !!
Exactly!! It is essentially a silicon based grease and used both as a water barrier and also to prevent current leakage so by all means use it on the chamfered edge of the Rosenberber plug ( any silicon grease will do the same job at less cost!) ) but the flat contact surface of the plug should be kept clean and free from any such treatment. It is actually far more important to keep the contacts clean on the magnetic Rosenberger plug since unlike the pin type alternatives the contacts do not fully "wipe" when connected/disconnected. The main pos/neg contacts do partially wipe but avoid full "pin" type connection which results in less wear and also prevents damage if the plug ( or charger plug) is knocked.

stevo66

Mar 20, 2021
st7
hi.. washed my levo sunday.. rode to work monday in heavy rain.. finished work 8 hours later .. would not turn on .. took power button out had a hair dryer on it on on cables.. yesterday took the cover off and battery out checked all cabels are plugged in etc used hair dryer again.. battery lights up when plugged in and is almost fully charged..
put tcu in a bag of rice last night on a radiator for 4 hours.. also replaced battery in tcu.. all out of ideas now.. ??

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The TCU contains the on/off switch so yes it could be a problem with the TCU but more likely the battery to motor connection. Two things you could check:-
1. Check the rosenberger connector carefully for any foreign body and also that the 2 pins on the "male " side of the connection are not stuck ( they are spring loaded). A stuck pin will mean no connection.
2. check the plug at the motor end of the motor to battery cable for damage........especially if it is the older V2 cable. That version of the cable is prone to cracking the motor end plug allowing water ingress which causes both short circuits and disconnections.

ps if the TCU has suffered water ingress it will take longer than 4 hours to dry out. Position the TCU upright with the USB port open and at the top so that when it is warmed the moist air rises and out the USB port. Placing some tissue over the USB port will absorb warm moisture and also let you know if indeed water has ingressed.

stevo66

Mar 20, 2021
st7
The TCU contains the on/off switch so yes it could be a problem with the TCU but more likely the battery to motor connection. Two things you could check:-
1. Check the rosenberger connector carefully for any foreign body and also that the 2 pins on the "male " side of the connection are not stuck ( they are spring loaded). A stuck pin will mean no connection.
2. check the plug at the motor end of the motor to battery cable for damage........especially if it is the older V2 cable. That version of the cable is prone to cracking the motor end plug allowing water ingress which causes both short circuits and disconnections.

ps if the TCU has suffered water ingress it will take longer than 4 hours to dry out. Position the TCU upright with the USB port open and at the top so that when it is warmed the moist air rises and out the USB port. Placing some tissue over the USB port will absorb warm moisture and also let you know if indeed water has ingressed.
brill thanks .. will do this shortly .. thanks again.

stevo66

Mar 20, 2021
st7
brill thanks .. will do this shortly .. thanks again.
ok.. so a update ..
i have had the tcu in a bag of rice for 4 days on a radiator moderatley on an hour at night.. also i changed the power cable (rosenberger) i bought the newer 1 last year when my motor failed.. put it back together and nothing at all.
i tried with the old and new cable.
Down at the battery/charging port when i connect that i get 3/4 green lights with the 4th blinking.
Any news would be greatly appreciated.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
F96A3C68-95BF-4272-B8CF-220C69B8FEE9.png

ohadbenita

Dec 23, 2022
Israel
Happened to me as well, the bike shop near my home checked both battery & TCU (replaced both of them and re-checked, still the same issue). They now suspect that the motor housing needs to be removed and one of the wiring might be defective. Anyone experienced a similar thing?

Additionally, I noticed my battery cover (the plastic that's underneath the battery) is broken, any ideas on where can I buy a replacement part that does international shipping?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles