Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo 2020 won't start after washing

RobiArm

Jan 13, 2020
Romania
Hello,

I have a problem with my 2020 turbo levo. After washing it wont turn on just a short starting beep and the nothing. It happens every time I wash my bike then I have to wait for 2-4 days to start again.

Does anyoane have/had this problem? I contacted my dealer and they said that is probably the charging port and now I am waitng for that part. Hope that they will resolve my problem. I don't wash with a power hose only regurar garden hose and I try to avoid the electrical components.

Looking forword to hear your opinion. Because in Romania are a few turbo levo and is a new problem for my dealer.

Thank you!

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
yes. don't wash it with a pressure washer or garden hose. Or of you do, stay well clear of the motor.
I've had this, unfortunately.

The connector in the motor might not be 100% (it probably isn't) and if you add water to that you get problems.

I had a new connector fitted and the problem went away. But they said they were working on a new one. (revision 3 or 4 I believe).

Nothing to do but wait for the part to be replaced.

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Take the TCU out and have a look at that.

Water runs down the cables that go through near the headstock, straight down to the TCU.

I’ve only lightly hosed mine down twice since the weather’s turned and both times the TCU has been wet after. Not had a problem though, but then I have left it dangling out overnight to dry.

Don't turn it upside down when it’s been wet either. Water just heads straight down to that area.

Also make sure the rubber bung is in the USB port.

If I remember rightly, the TCU had an update earlier this year. Supposedly for this problem.

I’m sure in one of Robs videos, Chris from Berkshire Bikes explained how to wrap electrical tape around the TCU to help with water ingress. No idea what video though. Maybe someone else might remember?

Worth checking the battery plug area too. I leave mine unplugged too after hosing off so it can dry out.

But yea, as mentioned above, don’t wash it unless you have to. ?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Check the motor cable. Mine had a split in the connector. No problems since getting a replacement cable.

Washing is fine:

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
Hello,

I have a problem with my 2020 turbo levo. After washing it wont turn on just a short starting beep and the nothing. It happens every time I wash my bike then I have to wait for 2-4 days to start again.

Does anyoane have/had this problem? I contacted my dealer and they said that is probably the charging port and now I am waitng for that part. Hope that they will resolve my problem. I don't wash with a power hose only regurar garden hose and I try to avoid the electrical components.

Looking forword to hear your opinion. Because in Romania are a few turbo levo and is a new problem for my dealer.

Thank you!
Repeatedly happened to me on my 2020 Levo after washing or a very wet ride. I noticed a crack on the power lead and had it replaced under warranty. So far it has not happened since, and yesterday was a very wet ride.
The levo detects a short circuit and will not turn on until it's dried out.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Agree about washing with the bike upside down. The only time I have had a TCU issue was when I washed it upside down. Everything dead and you could see water droplets under the display. A night in the airing cupboard sorted it out. I now plaster thick silicone grease all over and tape the cable connectors - no issues since but I keep water away from the TCU when washing.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are 4 main areas where water ingress can cause a short in the Levo. The first is the TCU itself together with its connections. The TCU is protected from water ingress whilst riding by the thin rubber edge of its seat on the top tube. It is possible to force water under that rubber edge however if you direct a hose sideways onto the top tube in that area. The TCU is fabricated in 2 halves and water can penetrate along the seam of the 2 halves, into the USB port if the rubber bung is not fully secure, or via the cable entry points. I have taped the TCU and the cable entries plus the connectors further along the cable...and made a gasket to fit between the TCU and top tube.
Secondly the TCU cables pass behind the rear shock both leaving and then re entering the sloping top tube. Water directed at the cables in that area can then run down the cables eventually arriving at the connectors into the motor under the non drive side motor cover. I force grease in to the exit and entry points of the cable to prevent water running down the cables.
Thirdly, the motor to cable magnetic connection at the battery is sealed with a rubber "O" ring. That ring can be dislodged from its seat or damaged if not kept flexible with an occasional smear of silicone lube. I also put a little grease on the chamfered edge behind that "o" ring to help create a more effective seal. I have also made a neoprene cover for the connector to act a primary barrier.
Fourthly, all cable end up under the non drive side motor cover with connections into the PCB of the motor. The motor cover has no seal so a direct blast with a hose can push water into that area. The connectors are sleeved so pretty waterproof but if you have not protected the various entries in to the area between the motor and its covers and the void becomes full with trail debris.....and is wet......those connection can be compromised. So first, ensure you block any entries into that area with moto foam ( 2 main areas are behind the chain stays cross member and the speed sensor entry point) and occasionally remove the non drive cover to clean out any debris that has got in there. I also pack the area where all the connections into the motor PCB are clustered with grease.
Lastly, not a vulnerable point but rather a fault is the motor to battery cable if it is the version fitted prior to the beginning of 2020. Specifically the D shaped plug at the motor end eventually cracks due to the cable not having enough flex. That in turn allows water to enter the plug and short the wires......and/or one of the wires breaking partially ( High resistance disconnection) or completely. The cable can be repaired but is best replaced with the later version which is easily identfied because more of the outer sheath is removed to allow the cable to flex without breaking the D plug and it has small white zip ties at each end to create tight seals. The old version of the cable usually took a reasonable time to break so not something you would expect to be an issue on a bike a few months old but worth checking. I replaced mine with the newer version before it caused any problems but it had started to crack. I repaired and modified the old cable to emulate the newer design and now have it as a spare for me or a riding buddy that experiences a problem with their cable.
With the modifications above I have had zero electrical problems..........I still do not wash my bike with a hose though! Bucket and sponge or wet rag is all it needs.

jcp1187

Jun 6, 2020
Bellevue
Is that supposed to be obvious to us?

More than one place on the planet called "Bellevue" - some of them pretty muddy, probably...

You're American, right?

I live in the high dessert near sun valley Idaho a ski resort in the us it rained one time all Summer . Some mud on high mountain stream crossings areas . furniture polish works great it’s cheap too it contains silicone and waxes to help the mud and dust slide off I have a garage full of dirt bikes and mountain bikes 50 yrs of riding . Cleaning bikes with water is probable one of the best way to screw up those two wheels fun machines . Don’t get all worked up with covid stress . I have always put Dielectric grease into all possible water entry and all electrical connections Too.

TahoeMtns

Nov 2, 2020
Truckee
Repeatedly happened to me on my 2020 Levo after washing or a very wet ride. I noticed a crack on the power lead and had it replaced under warranty. So far it has not happened since, and yesterday was a very wet ride.
The levo detects a short circuit and will not turn on until it's dried out.
When it's wet and won't turn on what exactly is happening? Does it beep or simply do nothing? My bike wouldn't turn on one morning. I had done a ride and washed it the prior day. It did nothing. Took it to SP dealer and he says battery shot needs replacement via diagnostic test. Wonder if it was just water?

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
When it's wet and won't turn on what exactly is happening? Does it beep or simply do nothing? My bike wouldn't turn on one morning. I had done a ride and washed it the prior day. It did nothing. Took it to SP dealer and he says battery shot needs replacement via diagnostic test. Wonder if it was just water?
There was a very feint flicker of light from the TCU. No beep. Main sign is alternate flashing lights on the battery when start button held down. There is a small gap between plug and battery where the battery lights are just visible. Alternate lights indicate a short circuit according to a specialized chart I found on the forum (somewhere). Usually took mine 12 hours to dry out. New battery to motor lead cured it.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have a regular doctor. I went to see him once for a problem. I said "it hurts when I do this". His exasperated answer was "well don't do it!" :ROFLMAO:

TahoeMtns

Nov 2, 2020
Truckee
There was a very feint flicker of light from the TCU. No beep. Main sign is alternate flashing lights on the battery when start button held down. There is a small gap between plug and battery where the battery lights are just visible. Alternate lights indicate a short circuit according to a specialized chart I found on the forum (somewhere). Usually took mine 12 hours to dry out. New battery to motor lead cured it.
I'll remember this. Don't think that's my current situation but good to know.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I do not think most lbs and certainly not the diagnostics delivered by the bike are capable of diagnosing electrical faults on an ebike. Just like cars when they first started using EMS, mechanics just changed elements until they got it working. With switch on, the bike initiates, by doing a digital handshake with each electronic element needed for it to operate. Any individual element can prevent the start up, sensors, battery etc. One handshake will of course be to ensure there is a voltage. if the circuit to the battery from the motor is short circuit there is will be no response from the battery...hence a diagnostic may say the battery is faulty. It would require a quite separate means of testing the battery via a dedicated circuit and test cycle within the battery software, to separate a battery fault from a cable fault. I cannot understand why there is not training for lbs to use a multimeter to test continuity and short circuit!!

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Take the TCU out and have a look at that.

Water runs down the cables that go through near the headstock, straight down to the TCU.

I’ve only lightly hosed mine down twice since the weather’s turned and both times the TCU has been wet after. Not had a problem though, but then I have left it dangling out overnight to dry.

Don't turn it upside down when it’s been wet either. Water just heads straight down to that area.

Also make sure the rubber bung is in the USB port.

If I remember rightly, the TCU had an update earlier this year. Supposedly for this problem.

I’m sure in one of Robs videos, Chris from Berkshire Bikes explained how to wrap electrical tape around the TCU to help with water ingress. No idea what video though. Maybe someone else might remember?

Worth checking the battery plug area too. I leave mine unplugged too after hosing off so it can dry out.

But yea, as mentioned above, don’t wash it unless you have to. ?

Exactly as this guy says, electrical tape around the rubber bung is a must hack, I always avoid the top tube area were the TCU sits.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Can you show me this must hack with the electrical tape. Pic?

Morning, if you lift the TCU out on the none cable side you will see a USB port which has a rubber bung in (circled below), this is the update port. Sometimes moisture can get in causing the bike to read an error.

After much reading on here, people recommended putting electrical tape over the port to reduce the chance of water or moisture ingress during washing, it worked for me. If bike won’t come on disconnect the TCU and store in a warm dry place for a few days to pull the moisture out of the port.

0EA22EDF-94C5-4E53-9196-5837C8DDE213.jpeg

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Molykote 111 silicone grease all over the TCU, cables, cable entry points and between the TCU and the frame. A bit messy if you need to get access next time but has worked well for me since I managed to get water in by washing the bike upside down.

Last edited:

TahoeMtns

Nov 2, 2020
Truckee
Molykote 111 silicone grease all over the TCU, cables, cable entry points and between the TCU and the frame. A bit mesy if you need to get access next time but has worked well for me since I managed to get water in by washing the bike upside down.
Interesting. I'll just be very careful washing. I used to hang it up by the front wheel after washing but think this might give chance for water to run down into the cable entry points. I now will let the bikes dry standing up before hanging

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Interesting. I'll just be very careful washing. I used to hang it up by the front wheel after washing but think this might give chance for water to run down into the cable entry points. I now will let the bikes dry standing up before hanging
[/QUOT
2 days after buying my Kenevo I washed it up side down ....never worked again ..I took it back and they gave me another one , exceptional service ...5 months later all good never washed it up side down again ...

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
It happens so often I've started using waterless wash. I will first scrape off any excess mud with some innocent bystandimg ferns before loading into car then clean it with muc off waterless wash when I get home. Hose on wheels, forks and rear triangle is fine. But frame waterless wash. Also seeing a lot of water ingess in headset which added to me using this.

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
It happen to me today after a muddy day here in Switzerland I wasch it and charged it. No i hear a peep but the TCU stays off only the charging lights are getting on. See photo
tuck the TCU out use a hair dryer to get any moister out of it. Still same behavio, any thoughts?
20840810-ADDB-4207-8FDE-4BC754E3D324.jpeg thanks

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Yes...Sounds like the TCU......try putting it in a bag of rice and leave over night .....the rice sucks all the damp out .........good luck mate

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
It happens so often I've started using waterless wash. I will first scrape off any excess mud with some innocent bystandimg ferns before loading into car then clean it with muc off waterless wash when I get home. Hose on wheels, forks and rear triangle is fine. But frame waterless wash. Also seeing a lot of water ingess in headset which added to me using this.
That’s what I’ve been doing

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
you need to allow the moisture to evaporate so unplug the USB port cover and orientate the TCU so that port is upwards ( warm air rises). Loosely cover the port with something absorbant like kitchen towel. Put the TCU somewhere warm like an airing cupboard. It could take 48 hours for the moisture to evaporate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles