Trek Rail upgrades, what have you done?

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
LOL!..."Don't look at it". I guess I'm in that camp and never really notice it as an issue. I can appreciate that it bothers some, but I look at my MTB's/EMTB's like I look at my dirt motors. They get good service, and they get cleaned when off road conditions like mud and such are encountered, but I don't stress over their appearance as much as I do my street motorcycle. But, people are different, and I get that.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I put 38s on my rails. I briefly thought about asthetics, but function over form.

Friend speaks my mind. My KTM is usually pretty dirty, but I try to keep my H2 clean despite it wanting to spew oil everywhere.
Wait a minute...expand on your mention of an H2...which one? :)

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
1975 two-stroke triple 750, the widow maker......
LOL!...that's what I was wondering. I had the sky blue '72 model as my second motorcycle and later the brown/gold '74 model. I worked part time at a motorcycle shop...spent all my extra money there. 😄

Edit to add: come to think of it I still do...except now it's on MTB's/EMTB's and still motorcycles...and the part time is at a bike shop. It's a disease. :ROFLMAO:

Gianni

Sep 22, 2020
Ripatransone ITALIA
Good morning, which wheelset do you use on your TREK?
I'm looking for a sturdy, not too expensive set; the original wheels are too delicate for my weight and driving style

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Good morning, which wheelset do you use on your TREK?
I'm looking for a sturdy, not too expensive set; the original wheels are too delicate for my weight and driving style
Are you asking someone specifically or is this general to all here?

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I use the Bontrager Carbon rims, the "cheap" version. I thrashed one after 5 weeks, got a replacement under warranty and those rims are now on the 3rd Rail. Very happy. The spokes are not the best though. I have broken quite a few on the rear wheel. I used to dent alu rims all the time, as its quite a few rock gardens in my area

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I use hope fortus 30s the reinforced ones not the sl version
Be aware thou that 30s are the only ones with extra internal webbing (y)

hope-275-fortus-30w-pro-5-rear-wheel-3-10000-p1.jpg

Last edited:

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
It's a request I make to anyone with experience
Gotcha. Over many years of MTB'ing, I've always found the rear wheel to be the weak link. That's logical since by the nature of use and design, the rear wheel almost always takes the hits the most aggressively. Not that you can't taco a front wheel by any means.

On my Trek Rail 7 the front wheel seems very capable and has held up quite well in rocky, harsh terrain. However, eventually I end up breaking spokes and such on every MTB I've ever had. With this Rail I know it will happen as I can ride this bike even more aggressively.

That said, I picked up a Bontrager Line Pro 30 TLR rear wheel...just the rear. It's a carbon rim with straight pull spokes and a good, high engagement hub. This wheelset is on sale from Trek as a pair or just a single. I've never wanted to spend the money on a carbon wheel, but this one appears to be a good value. I've not had issues with good quality, beefy, aluminum rims, but at this price point I went for carbon this time.

I'm a big proponent of straight pull spokes. At least when done properly, they are almost always superior to J-bends. This was one of the biggest leaps forward for dirt motorcycle wheels, and it carries over to MTB wheels. There are some really good wheels out there, but a good carbon rimmed wheel is usually very expensive. This Bontrager rear wheel is a good balance of value and robust design IMO.

I'd also add that it's got a 2-year guarantee against damage with free replacement.

Gianni

Sep 22, 2020
Ripatransone ITALIA
Thank you all. I'm taking inspiration from your experiences and looking around. I'm evaluating the DT SWISS HX 1700 or some assembled set. After updating the suspension of my TREK (ZEB Charger 3 170mm and Fox X2 Factory) and the brakes (Shimano Saint), now an update to the wheels is what we need to have a "perfect" bike

obiwun

Mar 22, 2021
Australia
E Thirteen Carbon Cranks
Line Pro Carbon Wheels
Rockshox Superdeluxe Ultimate Rear Shock 230 x 60
Charger 3 Damper Upgrade
170mm Air Debonair +Spring
Ultimate Black brake pads
View attachment 121652
Hey bike looks awesome. Do you like this shock on this bike? I’m thinking about doing the same. Did you consider 62.5mm stroke and did you consider the Vivid air?

Gianni

Sep 22, 2020
Ripatransone ITALIA
Update!
I ordered a set of MAVIC E-Deemax 29 from my trusted bike store, it seems like a good compromise between price and quality.
In the past I had a good experience with Mavic, I hope it happens again. Thanks again

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles