Tire puncture

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Got a puncture last night. I had the lezyne classic tubeless kit with me but the plugs wouldnt seal.
What do people on here use to seal such a hole?
20210418_192050.jpg

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I've never needed it, but I carry a tubeless repair kit with me. Just weighs a few grams:
1618816413345.png

See also:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I currently have this one from leyzne.
but man thats a bitch to put in. I allsot looks like it made the hole bigger. Also when i put it in i can barely get the tool out without pulling the plug out
20210419_175736.jpg
20210419_175741.jpg

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Now i want to patch the inside and i got this little kit at home. It has this patch in it. Will this be enough to patch the tire on the inside?
20210419_180210.jpg
20210419_180223.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yea big enough for sure. But is this strong enough to repair a tire(not innertube)? It feels so thin
Your concern being that the patch material is not strong enough to stop the split in the tyre from spreading? :unsure:
That is a big piece of material, so I'd cut it into two pieces and glue them in place one on top of the other, at right angles to each other.

Still got doubts? If so, I'd go belt & braces and force some rubber glue into the split. There is nothing worse than holding doubts about what your tyre is going to do on a dodgy descent. So if you have any doubts about any of the advice then scrap the tyre (but not before you've managed to source a replacement and actually have it in your possession!)

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Your concern being that the patch material is not strong enough to stop the split in the tyre from spreading? :unsure:
That is a big piece of material, so I'd cut it into two pieces and glue them in place one on top of the other, at right angles to each other.

Still got doubts? If so, I'd go belt & braces and force some rubber glue into the split. There is nothing worse than holding doubts about what your tyre is going to do on a dodgy descent. So if you have any doubts about any of the advice then scrap the tyre (but not before you've managed to source a replacement and actually have it in your possession!)
Yea its the first tire im about to repair so tbis is all new to me.
Ive repaired a tire with a plug in the past and that holded for a year untill the tire was worn.
I also found this patch at home
20210419_185550.jpg

This is also for a tire? Or only for innertires

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Yea its the first tire im about to repair so tbis is all new to me.
Ive repaired a tire with a plug in the past and that holded for a year untill the tire was worn.
I also found this patch at home ...
This is also for a tire? Or only for innertires
A fellow rider turned me on to these (Park Tool TB-2). Note that the description says "tubed tire" so probably won't work with tubeless goo. I never go on long rides without them, they don't weigh hardly anything or take up much space but I do bring a tube in case I need to use one.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I have used the tubeless kit once, well twice as had to reapply a bit further along the ride.

I have a tube on me at all times as my first ride on new eMTB last May ended quickly with a split in the tyre. Spent ages trying to patch it to no avail and had to walk home (didn’t know about walk mode at the time )

A tube will get you home.

To fix, super glue a piece of old tyre inside against the split and use a canister to inflate quickly so it stays in place. (I also carry both in backpack)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It depends how big the hole is but you can patch tyres using those orange and black inner tube patches that are pictured higher up the thread, if the hole is not too large. I've got 3 of them on the inside of my tyres right now, fixing 3 different ~5mm long cuts.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Ive first tried the blue one but the transparent sides wouldent stick.
20210420_200811.jpg
I removed it with all the glue and started over and put 2 of those black ones over eachother, let it dry abit and gave the tire max pressure.it holded but now i got this:
20210420_200609.jpg

Help help!!!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The transparent stuff is not meant to stay on the patch, you're supposed to remove it once the patch is stuck down, having said that I often just leave the transparent stuff in place because I can't be bothered to remove it, but the key point is it's (the transparent plastic) not supposed to be stuck down.

Apologies if you know this, but you smear some glue over the area of the tyre to be patched, then let it dry fully, then you apply the patch to the tyre, you first remove the metallic foil from the patch and stick that now exposed side of the patch to the tyre, then you remove the transparent layer.

That hole in your tyre may well be too large to patch with inner tube patches. Mine are 5mm long but are just a slit in the tyre as opposed to a gaping hole like yours looks like. Some kinds of holes in the tyre will just mean the tyre is a write off/unfixable.

Last edited:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Fuk so i should have let it dry and peel off the plastic? Its nowhere written in the manual

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Fuk so i should have let it dry and peel off the plastic? Its nowhere written in the manual
Yes the transparent plastic gets peeled off last once the patch is stuck down, but I usually just leave it in place as it can be fiddly to remove.

This article talks about patching inner tubes, but the principle is the same for patching the tyre.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles