Tubeless puncture question..

bobh3501

Jan 5, 2019
California
I got a puncture today but didn't notice for a while as I was on tarmac on my way back from a ride. I had felt a few drops on my shins (bone dry day) and wondered what it was - it was sealant! I also peeled off some dried sealant from the tire that had dried into a small, thin patch a couple of inches long. I didn't really lose much pressure and it's holding air as well as before. My question is - should I remove the tire and apply a proper patch or just leave it?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I got a puncture today but didn't notice for a while as I was on tarmac on my way back from a ride. I had felt a few drops on my shins (bone dry day) and wondered what it was - it was sealant! I also peeled off some dried sealant from the tire that had dried into a small, thin patch a couple of inches long. I didn't really lose much pressure and it's holding air as well as before. My question is - should I remove the tire and apply a proper patch or just leave it?
That depends. Is it Stan's? lol
Might depend even more on the severity of the puncture. A couple of inches long sounds fairly severe, I'd patch it.

Ironic that Zimmer recently did a video for Stan's. Very nice video actually.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That patch of dried sealant a couple of inches long does not imply a tear of that length, it will be just dried sealant. Wipe it off if it bothers you.
The good news is that the sealant worked! No need to apply any patches.

I have had tyres with over two dozen punctures, each! I can tell because when I look at the tyre before I ride, I can count where the sealant has left a very slightly damp patch. I always check the tyre pressure before every ride using a Topeak D2 digital gauge and I usually register 1-2 psi drop over 1-2 days. If the pressure drop increases, I take that as a sign that the sealant has leaked out or dried up and it's time to top up again. That can take 5-6 months.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ironic that Zimmer recently did a video for Stan's. Very nice video actually.

Na, can't be me .. I'd have fallen off just before the nailed plank, gone over the bars and stuck it to my arse. On the rocky hill I'd have then fallen through an old mine shaft which had been abandoned when last used as the museum of sharp pointy objects.

bobh3501

Jan 5, 2019
California
Thanks guys - the puncture itself is definitely not 2 inches long - when I pulled off the patch of sealant I couldn't find the puncture. I'll just leave it and see how it goes.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
To my surprise I'm having a tubeless sealant problem!

During lockdown I fitted some smooth rolling tyres for tarmac and towpaths. They are crap on the trails so I refitted my HRIIs. An old puncture that I didn't know about immediately made itself known by spraying half the sealant onto the garage floor. It stopped eventually and I pumped back up to pressure and went for a ride. It kept leaking. It is now holding pressure. It should be good to go, but I have lost confidence in that puncture. I can see it and it's only about 3mm long between knobs right in the centre of the tread.

I had thought of using one of those bradawl things that inserts a worm of rubber into the hole, but I can't recall what the system is called. Do you need adhesive, or do you just push it in, cut off the surplus and leave the sealant to do its work?

I searched on here, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think the "dart" is the popular choice ..

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
To my surprise I'm having a tubeless sealant problem!

During lockdown I fitted some smooth rolling tyres for tarmac and towpaths. They are crap on the trails so I refitted my HRIIs. An old puncture that I didn't know about immediately made itself known by spraying half the sealant onto the garage floor. It stopped eventually and I pumped back up to pressure and went for a ride. It kept leaking. It is now holding pressure. It should be good to go, but I have lost confidence in that puncture. I can see it and it's only about 3mm long between knobs right in the centre of the tread.

I had thought of using one of those bradawl things that inserts a worm of rubber into the hole, but I can't recall what the system is called. Do you need adhesive, or do you just push it in, cut off the surplus and leave the sealant to do its work?

I searched on here, but couldn't find what I was looking for.
Try Tubeless Repair Kit

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
Bits of cut up inner tube and a blob of glue. Never failed yet.
IMG_5840.jpg

Last edited:

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
I’ve got thin worms (3.5mm) and thick worms (6mm), if I struggle to fix it with the 6mm one I tend to mushroom it when I get back (tyre off on one side, clean inside near hole, Apply Adhesive to tyre and mushroom face, push mushroom on and thru hole, (like fixing a tube the old vulcanising patch way) hold mushroom tight with clamp on outside, reseat tyre, leave, wait till dry, cut off mushroom wire

* below is for example only, I am not recommending these ,I did get mine off eBay but can’t remember from whom etc

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Stans should be able to deal with your punture. Next time rather than let the tyres pressure spray out a lot of sealant only partially inflate the tyre. Look for any sign of sealant, get it to the bottom of the wheel and apply thumb pressure for a few seconds. Then fully inflate

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That Stans Dart kit looks good. Does it have to be Stans latex sealant, or will any latex sealant do the job? (I have Continental latex sealant).

I'm sure Stans would prefer you to believe that only Stans latex will do, but they don't actually say that in the advert.

I'm still going to buy Dart kit whether it requires Stans or not. One of those feathery plugs will do the job better than nothing at all.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Stans should be able to deal with your punture. Next time rather than let the tyres pressure spray out a lot of sealant only partially inflate the tyre. Look for any sign of sealant, get it to the bottom of the wheel and apply thumb pressure for a few seconds. Then fully inflate

I lost half the sealant while I was pumping up the tyre! It was pooling underneath the tyre and it was only when it ran out towards me that I saw it. Yes, the hole is diametrically opposite the valve. I left the tyre to seal itself, which it had appeared to do. When I was out later that day, it was my grandson who told me that my seat tube was being sprayed with latex. I parked the tyre with the hole down and left it for a few mins, then pumped up and it hasn't leaked since, but I haven't been out on the bike and subjected it to pressure and I don't trust it. I need to top up the latex, I can't believe that there is much in there any more. :(

Of the two LBSs that I use that are open, one does not stock anything at all like Stans and its competitors. The other has a Weldtite plugging product that they bought because of its reputation, specifically to help a customer who had just punctured a brand new expensive tubeless tyre that also would not seal. They said it is an awful product. Messy to use and didn't do the job anyway. It was so bad that they told me that when I said "Weldtite do good stuff, I'll have that!" An honest LBS, only just found them but I like them more and more! :)

Last edited:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
@steve_sordy - out of interest ref, sealant, should you be struggling to find a suitable supply, I've just swapped to Tyre Yoghurt (TY Bike Products | Tyre Yogurt - tubeless sealant, valves, rim tape). No latex.. I was previously running Orange Seal, but was finding it was drying out quicker than I initially wanted. This stuff reports to remain liquid. Still early days for me with it however all is good so far, I'm happy to report.. Delivery is about 3 days..

Keep well mate (y)

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I lost half the sealant while I was pumping up the tyre! It was pooling underneath the tyre and it was only when it ran out towards me that I saw it. Yes, the hole is diametrically opposite the valve. I left the tyre to seal itself, which it had appeared to do. When I was out later that day, it was my grandson who told me that my seat tube was being sprayed with latex. I parked the tyre with the hole down and left it for a few mins, then pumped up and it hasn't leaked since, but I haven't been out on the bike and subjected it to pressure and I don't trust it. I need to top up the latex, I can't believe that there is much in there any more. :(

Of the two LBSs that I use that are open, one does not stock anything at all like Stans and its competitors. The other has a Weldtite product that they bought because of its reputation, specifically to help a customer who had just punctured a brand new expensive tubeless tyre that also would not seal. They said it is an awful product. Messy to use and didn't do the job anyway. It was so bad that they told me that when I said "Weldtite do good stuff, I'll have that!" An honest LBS, only just found them but I like them more and more! :)

If you're worried about it then get a Park Tool tyre boot. It's a patch for the inside of the tyre specifically designed to fix large punctures or small tears. Tyre will need to be partly off and cleaned around the hole.

Gordon

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@steve_sordy - out of interest ref, sealant, should you be struggling to find a suitable supply, I've just swapped to Tyre Yoghurt (TY Bike Products | Tyre Yogurt - tubeless sealant, valves, rim tape). No latex.. I was previously running Orange Seal, but was finding it was drying out quicker than I initially wanted. This stuff reports to remain liquid. Still early days for me with it however all is good so far, I'm happy to report.. Delivery is about 3 days..

Keep well mate (y)
Thanks @118 but it's not sealant I'm short of. The product that my two LBSs didn't have was a hole plugging thing. I bought 4 bottles of Continental Revo sealant recently (I meant to buy two but cocked it up, glad I did now!)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you're worried about it then get a Park Tool tyre boot. It's a patch for the inside of the tyre specifically designed to fix large punctures or small tears. Tyre will need to be partly off and cleaned around the hole.

Gordon
Thanks for that @flash , its good to get that idea out there. I have a very similar product, by Topeak I think. But that would require me to remove the tyre or at least one side and clean the area as you say. What I was hoping for with the hole plug was to avoid all that. That is what appeals about the Stans Dart system. I have ordered one. But £25 what the hell!!!. They are selling that on its utility value not its intrinsic value plus a good margin, that's for sure! But if people are willing to pay, then the price is right! :)

Last edited:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Thanks for that @flash , its good to get that idea out there. I have a very similar product, by Topeak I think. But that would require me to remove the tyre or at least one side and clean the area as you say. What I was hoping for with the hole plug was to avoid all that. That is what appeals about the Stans Dart system. I have ordered one. But £25 what the hell!!!. They are selling that on its utility value not its intrinsic value plus a good margin, that's for sure! But if people are willing to pay, then the price is right! :)
Yeah, I know... it does seem expensive for what it is. Hopefully it’s the sort of thing you end up using infrequently though, and when you do need to use it, thoughts of what it cost are not in the forefront of your mind. They’ve saved me having to trudge miserably through the forest with a 25kg bike on a few occasions.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
That Stans Dart kit looks good. Does it have to be Stans latex sealant, or will any latex sealant do the job? (I have Continental latex sealant).

I'm sure Stans would prefer you to believe that only Stans latex will do, but they don't actually say that in the advert.

I'm still going to buy Dart kit whether it requires Stans or not. One of those feathery plugs will do the job better than nothing at all.
Stan's own video says any latex sealant.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

I've been carrying one of these.

Never had the opportunity to use it. Actually I've not yet had a puncture I've even noticed on either of my tubeless bikes. I check the sealant every three months. That's all I've done so far.

Gordon

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I've been carrying one of these.

Never had the opportunity to use it. Actually I've not yet had a puncture I've even noticed on either of my tubeless bikes. I check the sealant every three months. That's all I've done so far.

Gordon
They look compact & effective but obviously that sharp tire piercer stays in there until you remove it.

I've been carrying Stan's Dart but haven't used it. Dynaplug Air looks good but removing that sharp brass & aluminium plug tip is an an extra unnecessary step when you compare it to Stan's Dart.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles