4th out and a puncture!!

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Still off work until Monday so thought I would grab a decent ride and test out my new Garmin 520 plus, its only the cheap option but better than my hideous I phone plus stuck to the bars.

After a few hours of signing in to god knows what apps I managed to find a cracking local route on Komoot and eventually figured out how to get it working on the Garmin so set off. The route was just about to get interesting then the dreaded feeling of somethings wrong sets in, followed by a visual of the front tire :rolleyes:

7.2 mile walk home :cry: at least the bike has walk assist for the hills but even holding that button in becomes a chore.
I really cant be arsed carrying tools and tubes but i also cant be arsed to do that again, and it could of been a lot lot worse, is slime and heavy duty tubes still a good option with a couple of gas bottles on board or do you guys just gear up for wheel out and tube changes ?

man of steel last of krypton

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Go tubeless and add sealant. Apart from two faulty tyres, I haven't had a flat in many years, despite getting loads of punctures.

I also carry a spare tube and the means to use it (levers, mini pump), also tyre patches in case the spare tube gets a puncture and tyre patches in case I get a slash in the tyre wall. I have very rarely used any them (some of them never), so they are my talisman - as long as I carry them I'm safe!

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
This was happening to me as well, I think I had 3 punctures in my first 5 rides, so I now carry a small puncture repair kit with 2 CO2 canisters, I have also fitted inserts between the tyres and tubes.

395DD8B1-B3F7-4BA6-9B25-D905E415FE8A.png

464E3AF8-4C9C-4A9E-98C5-47DE3503A535.png

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Bad luck mac, you did better than me though, third outing for my first flat. I run Tannus front and back now and don't worry about punctures, can run lower pressures also. Gives me more confidence too.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Cheers guys, it would seem its not just bad luck then lol. I will take on board the advise given and look into some of your options , that's the longest most boring walk I have ever done in my entire 50 years of life so I guess it counts for something :)

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
I've just switched my rear to a Tannus insert and tube combo. It was originally tubeless. I've read great things about them. I'm going to keep my front tubeless for the moment. For some reason it never behaved well tubeless. It will be less messy when coming to change tyres.

I still carry a spare tube, pocket rocket pump, levers, chain tool, quick link, park tool patch and Stans Dart.

I store everything besides a pump in a transparent waterproof tough zip bag. Just stays in my drawer. You can just throw it in your bag or hip pack on the way out of the door.

Majority of my rides are 20+ miles so I'd never leave without the essentials.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have a Tannus insert but had a little trouble getting the tyre on with it in. I’ll have another go at some point.

First I’m going to try a Mr Tuffty insert as it’s exactly half the weight of a Tannus. If that fails I’ll give the Tannus another go. No harm experimenting with these things.

A6DF4A44-29BC-44D9-BAA4-6E31F6958005.png

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
I know your pain. It was a ballache getting the tyre on. Managed it after after a few swear words and a good wrestle. See how I get on with it at weekend.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
front is tubeless rear is Tannus. I split them as an experiment but after having to walk home the other night in the pissing down rain because of puncture number 2 in the front, I have now decided to end the experiment and put Tannus in the front

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Like above, I recommend going tubeless, but I also recommend carrying tire plugs (I like the Dynaplug system) for larger holes or for when, for whatever reason, sealant doesn't seal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles