Thanks for accepting my request to join.

Tess848

Aug 29, 2022
Lincolnshire
Just taken delivery of a new e mtb and already had 4 punctures in a tubed 29 inch. Have ordered slime and new inner tubes but should I really be looking at tubeless? I live in Lincolnshire which is pretty flat and trails will be either grassed or shale. Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Tubeless might be better for you.

That's an unusual number of punctures. Are you running too low a pressure and getting pinch flats when you hit things/land ?

Tess848

Aug 29, 2022
Lincolnshire
Tubeless might be better for you.

That's an unusual number of punctures. Are you running too low a pressure and getting pinch flats when you hit things/land ?
Unlucky as farmers been cutting hedges I guess. I've been running 40 psi as written on the wheel. Thinking after watching a few youtube vids I should go tubeless? What are your thoughts, appreciate any advice

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On average, tubeless generally is an improvement for most people. It doesn't seem to work out for everyone, so some people prefer tubes and fixing punctures if they get any.

If you've not done it before the first one can be fiddly. Your bike might already be setup "tubeless ready" so may have the correct rim tape installed and come with a bag of tubeless valves. But yes, in theory, you shouldn't really notice the punctures you're getting as hopefully they'll self seal as soon as they happen.

I'm not sure what tyres you're running, some are a far lighter/weaker construction than others and are considerably more susceptible to punctures .

Tess848

Aug 29, 2022
Lincolnshire
I appreciate your advice. Yeh I think you’ve also answered question in my head is the tyre that came with the bike simply not up to scratch. The rims are tubeless ready so I think if I purchase decent tyres and valves then I should be ok. Was thinking schwalbe as use these on my winter road bike and they have a good write up?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
When the farmers cut the hedges the adjacent bridleways / roads are full of super sharp thorns that will kill a tubed tyre in seconds. I had the same problem when I first went out on a shiny new emtb before I converted it to tubeless. Once tubeless, the thorn problem disappeared

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Depending what terrain you're riding and how your ride will be the biggest factor in tyre choice. There's an enormous thread about it. Even within a brand, there are lots of tyre types. Something like a magic Mary can be fairly bullet proof, but that comes in different weights, rubber types, and might be too draggy for what you need ? Also look at Michelin Wilds as a fairly safe option. Again though, there are different types 😁

Heavier chunkier tyres will also make your bike feel slower accelerating , use more battery. It's all a compromise.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Unless you are really heavy, like 18+ stone, then 40 psi seems a bit high. Actually, a lot high. Try experimenting with lower pressures, more in the rear than the front to see how that affects comfort and grip.

I would deffo go for tubeless with sealant and then you can pretty much wave good bye to punctures. Just be aware that the sealant will either run out (because of all the bits lost when you get a puncture without noticing) or it will go off as it reacts with the air inside the tyre (about six months.

Last edited:

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Tubeless has worked for me. Apart from a ripped tyre in 2020 I have had no punctures.

Watch some videos on YouTube on how to go tubeless or get your local bike shop to help out.

It’s a bit tricky to do this for the first time but I persevered and don’t regret it.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
@Tess848 Go tubless with decent tires and sealant. Always carry bacon strips (if you get a puncture that won't seal with sealant) with you and a CO2 inflator. Anything over 25-26 PSI must feel like you are riding wooden wheels.
TL0331-04.jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Just taken delivery of a new e mtb and already had 4 punctures in a tubed 29 inch. Have ordered slime and new inner tubes but should I really be looking at tubeless?

Yeah, you probably want to be looking at tubeless. You've already experienced the benefits of running tubes.

The one thing about running tubelesss is that you have to check the tire pressures more frequently, and you periodically have to check that there's still sealant in the tire. You have to do a little maintenance. But then again, just about everything in mountain biking requires a degree of maintenance. If you prefer to do a little maintenance in the comfort of your garage rather than doing repairs on the side of the trail, then tubeless tires might just be for you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles