Chain Lube Tool (Thanks to Rob's Youtube video)

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
One of the quirky aspects of maintaining an eMTB is lubing the chain. You know what I'm talking about: either you have to put the bike on a workstand, or you have to pull the chain backwards and pay close attention so you don't run your thumb into the sprocket. It's just one of those things that we have to deal with.

But then last night I was watching YouTube videos and came across the "Rob Rides EMTB" video of cheap eMTB products. Most of the items didn't interest me, but the CrankStick caught my eye. I paused the video and went straight to Amazon... and found nothing. None of the usual mail order stores had one. Finally I found it on eBay, but they're sold out of Germany so I would have to wait for shipping. I don't like to wait.

So today after my ride, I went down to the garage and found a few pieces of material that might be suitable for fabrication into a homemade CrankStick. It took me just over an hour to knock out. I'm happy with it, although I might file the notch more. My first thought was that I'd make a couple of these and give them to my buddies, but frankly, it wasn't THAT fun to make. They can order them from Germany if they want to.

Here's a quick video. I tried to embed it in this post, but the forum doesn't like mov's.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I simply use an allen key of the appropriate size that fits into the chain ring mount (spider??)

Just make sure you wrap several layers of soft tape around it where it contacts the crank arm so that you don't damage the paint. It also has a tad more give, making it easier to remove afterwards. As a bonus, I can quickly identify the correct allen key from the set.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
well thats a better version of the "crankstick" which I did actually buy and found to be absolutely useless, it would Either fall out, or get wedged in, of hit on the chain guide, or hit the frame/motor behind.
I now use a 5mm hex bit with a 100mm piece of green/yellow heat shrink on the end of it just so I don't lose it, also stops it damaging the crank arm

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Interesting... Now I'm really glad I made an experimental one, rather than buying the original CrankStick. At least if I decide it's a POS, I don't have to feel bad about spending money on it. Making it was kinda fun, so whatever happens, the project was a "win."

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I my opinion the Crankstick is pretty useless - I had one and the chain ring chews through it and it never stayed in place.

I just use a reusable zip tie, works a treat and costs about 10p

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I guess some of the people making these things are hobbyists with home printers / cutters who just use the wrong material. I bought a special spanner for our Gardena watering system on eBay. It felt pretty solid in the hand, but broke within a few seconds of use. Got my money back without a problem, though.
1626416743342.png

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
My first thought was that I'd make a couple of these and give them to my buddies, but frankly, it wasn't THAT fun to make. They can order them from Germany if they want to.

The fun is the joy on their face when they see you value them enough to put yourself through making it!! :)

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Why not just buy 23,96 euros stand? Hebie Turrix Bicycle Stand.
The colourful ones are a more expensive: 25,53 euros.

Though I fully understand if the rides are so long, that you have to lube the chain during it.

Turrix-Bicycle-Stand-black-universal-43095-126685-1481264649.jpeg

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
I simply use an allen key of the appropriate size that fits into the chain ring mount (spider??)

Just make sure you wrap several layers of soft tape around it where it contacts the crank arm so that you don't damage the paint. It also has a tad more give, making it easier to remove afterwards. As a bonus, I can quickly identify the correct allen key from the set.
Tis is what I do too. Works a dream..

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
I used to use a hex bit too but then realised you don't need to use the cranks, you can just turn the chainring by pushing the arms with your spread fingers.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Oh, and that also doesn't excite the levo enough to make it switch on like the crankstick or hex key method which is a real bonus for the unwary.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks for the positive feedback, but I can't claim the credit. I found that tip on this forum somewhere, but just couldn't find it to include the link.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles